how to get your horse fit?

horseluver4eva

Visit site
my new horse is very unfit, she hasnt been rode in months due to a sudden illness in the horses old owner. she does everything i say but doesnt complain one little bit, but after a few laps of the arena in canter she does start to sweat a lot and even on a long walk out. do you know any way of getting her fit?thanks

Princess Jess

Visit site
It's hard to say exactly without knowing a bit more about her condition and breed etc. but I would suggest start by building up lots of walk and trot work rather than just cantering around the arena. You could also try lunging a couple of times a week to vary her work as well as hacking and just gradually build up the type of work and length of sessions.
Hope all goes well with her training :)

SweetSH

New User
Visit site
My new horse is very unfit, she hasn't been ridden in months due to a sudden illness in the horses old owner. She does everything I say and doesn't complain one little bit, but after a few laps of the arena in canter she does start to sweat a lot, even on a long walk out. Does anyone know any way of getting her fit? Thanks

Your welcome!

P.S. If you are trying to fitten, you need to start in walk and gradually build up to trot then canter. Don't start out in canter as this will damage muscles.

horseluver4eva

Visit site
thanks for your help i might just try that. she is 11 years old, a dales and has done dressage in the past. she does have good stamina but its just that her muscles are weaker and need built up due to not being rode in ages.

Lintel

Visit site
Make a fitness programme!
Such as:

Week one: Walking for half an hour.
Week two: Walking for an hour with a few minutes of true.
Week three: 20 mins trot, against 40 minutes walk.
Week four: Full walking and trotting session, circles, serpentine's.
Week five: Mainly trotting and doing a couple minutes canter.
Week six: Building up the canter, a few circuits, back to trot, a few again.
Week seven: Bringing in circle's in canter.

etc etc etc. ? :D

I have babbled on enough.
Horse and Hounds fitness plan may help you.
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horsecare/1374/47803.html

Visit site
The racehorse fitness plan from 8weeks out at grass is:

3-4 weeks walking out on the roads depending on if they have had leg problems or are prone to tying up.

1 week trotting out on hacks.

2-3 weeks of trotting up the gallops which is on a fairly steep hill. Again depending on leg problems etc.

1-2 weeks of trotting and steady cantering up the hill.

2-3 weeks of steady cantering up the hill.

1-2 weeks of introducing faster work.

Onwards from now - faster work for the majority mingled in with jumping until they race.

During all of their work they all get a quiet day on the walker on a Sunday and one or 2 days of just walking hacking a week minimum.

You obviously don't want your pony to be racehorse fit but following a good program helps no end.

MissChaos

Visit site
My new horse is very unfit, she hasn't been ridden in months due to a sudden illness in the horses old owner. She does everything I say and doesn't complain one little bit, but after a few laps of the arena in canter she does start to sweat a lot, even on a long walk out. Does anyone know any way of getting her fit? Thanks

You're welcome!

Welcome to the forum, SweetSH :rolleyes: Perhaps pop the safety catch back on that gun before you set it off towards your feet again.

horseluver4eva, as others have said, build up gradually. Trot is really the best gait for fittening but any programme needs to be tailored to your new horse by someone experienced who knows her. Have you got an instructor or YO who could advise personally?

horseluver4eva

Visit site
thanks, i will have to try as she used to do dressage and i want to bring her back into it. yes i do have a trainer do you think i should get some advise form her?

Littlelegs

Visit site
Good advice given already, I'd only add that as walking and small amounts of trot can soon get boring in an arena I'd do it hacking but always include lots of transitions, even if its just walk & halt at first, then when trotting instead of one long trot have a few shorter ones.

MissChaos

Visit site
Horseluver4eva, absolutely :) Your instructor's the best place to start as they'll be able to assess your girl's actual fitness and help you devise a programme that suits both your schedule and aspirations, and her current work and fitness levels and conformation. The example guides given should give you a good idea of what timescales and work you're looking at, though. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new girl.

Last edited:

RoobyDoobs

Visit site

Your welcome!

P.S. If you are trying to fitten, you need to start in walk and gradually build up to trot then canter. Don't start out in canter as this will damage muscles.

How very rude! Advice re fitness was the point of the thread, not an English lesson.