how to give my notice to YO.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Im a worrier. I know i should just suck it up and do it but i dont really know her..i have only been at the yard not even 8weeks and its just not for me. Also i lost my job which means that i cant afford the livery so am moving to a much cheaper DIY yard. Im planning on moving on 1st November but im worried its going to be awkward for the next 2 weeks before i leave.

So what do i say and please someone give me some courage, wish i wasnt such a pansy!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I'm sure she will understand your reasons, the main being....your financial situation. As long as you are paid up, there should be no worries.

If she turns into a fire-breathing monster, then you know it's not the yard for you!

Face to face is best, I always got messages via FB and text which really upset me as a YO, I'm sure I was never a fire-breathing monster and understood fully reasons for leaving.

It will be fine. :)

starryeyed

Visit site
Yes, definitely face to face - it's the hardest way but also the nicest. Just ask her for a moment, and explain your current situation and that due to a change in finances you are sadly having to go to an alternative yard. I'm sure she'll understand - perhaps take her a box of chocolates to thank her when you do go x

Kadastorm

Visit site
Thankyou for your replies guys! I bottled out today but I have to do it this week, i just feel like a cow for only being their a couple of months, i don't want her to think im messing her about.

I just wanted to know your opinions on something though - I am planning on moving on the 1st, my current livery is paid up to the 1st. I don't have a contract with her but im presuming she will want a months notice? does this mean if i tell her now (two weeks before i plan to leave) I have to pay another two weeks after the 1st or another month? Or shall i just leave on the 1st and not get my deposit back?

I don't want to mess her around but obviously due to finances i cant afford to pay another month and i don't particularly want to pay another month when im paying for my box at the new yard. Im sorry i am new to all of this so i probably sound like a numpty!

Where are my brave pants?! I seem to have lost them....

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You do have a contract, as you are paying for service so it is implied by your monthly payment. So whichever day you give your notice you will owe them a months livery.

putasocinit

Visit site
If you pay by month you owe her a month whether you tell her 2 weeks before the months is up or not, if you paid a months deposit then ask her if she will take your deposit as the month in lieu. I think YO only get upset when liveries try to leave whilst still owing money

sarahann1

Visit site
Some YOs are fine if the dates fit with your leaving and your payments, I know ours is and she certainly never holds a grudge unless the livery has been bang out of order prior to leaving. By bang out of order I mean, REALLY, REALLY out of order, our YO is fab :)

Go, get your brave pants on, explain your financial changes, put a smile on, tell them you've enjoyed your time and leave on good terms :) Go, go now!

Kadastorm

Visit site
ok, that's fine, i wasn't sure how it worked as this was not mentioned when i went there and there was no contract. I have never had to do this before so its all new to me. In the contract i have signed for the other yard it states that i need to give a months notice.

Obviously i will check this out with her, thankyou for pre warning me though!

Kadastorm

Visit site
Some YOs are fine if the dates fit with your leaving and your payments, I know ours is and she certainly never holds a grudge unless the livery has been bang out of order prior to leaving. By bang out of order I mean, REALLY, REALLY out of order, our YO is fab :)

Go, get your brave pants on, explain your financial changes, put a smile on, tell them you've enjoyed your time and leave on good terms :) Go, go now!

Thankyou! I haven't been mean ever or out of order i don't think, im a quiet and sensitive soul who hates confrontation! Eeek!

ruth83

Visit site
The longer you put it off, the harder it will be and the more likely the YO will want/need to charge you for longer.

If you have an honest discussion about your financial circumstances and the YO has the chance to advertise/contact someone on a waiting list they might be able to fill the stable and everyone is then in a more stable financial situation.

If you make the reasoning just about the finances then it shouldn't be awkward for the next couple of weeks at all. Nobody can help losing their job if cuts are being made.

Capriole

Visit site
Thankyou! I haven't been mean ever or out of order i don't think, im a quiet and sensitive soul who hates confrontation! Eeek!

Stop thinking of it as a confrontation!

She provides a service, you were using that service. Now you wish to go somewhere else. I'm sure she'd rather know you are planning to leave asap so she can get onto her waiting list or however she fills her spaces. Also, I'm sure if you tell her you can no longer afford to be there she'd rather have you gone than try to afford it and get into debt with her.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Stop thinking of it as a confrontation!

She provides a service, you were using that service. Now you wish to go somewhere else. I'm sure she'd rather know you are planning to leave asap so she can get onto her waiting list or however she fills her spaces. Also, I'm sure if you tell her you can no longer afford to be there she'd rather have you gone than try to afford it and get into debt with her.

No I know, i don't mean to come across as meaning it to be 'confrontational', i know its not. im just not great with things like this but no, i will speak to her and see. I have no ill feeling towards them, its simply that i am just struggling to get by and need to make cut backs to be able to afford to live aswell as look after my pony.

Thankyou all.

MiniMilton

Visit site
Just say you lost your job and you can't afford it anymore. When you sort out your finances properly you'd love to return in the future. It doesn't have to be true but it sounds nice!

Capriole

Visit site
I have no ill feeling towards them, its simply that i am just struggling to get by and need to make cut backs to be able to afford to live aswell as look after my pony.

I hope it goes well for you. I know YO can be crazy sometimes :)D) but I can't really see anyone being too annoyed that someone is moving for financial reasons, no YO wants to be worrying about whether their liveries are going to get into debt with them.

Good luck for getting a new job. Thank her for everything and perhaps say you would love to maybe move back there at some point when you are back on your feet financially. (ah yes, Minimilton said that while I was typing :D But it's worth trying not to burn bridges.)

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Just be polite and reasonably honest. Tell her you have loved being at her yard (even if you haven't!) but that you've lost your job and are going to have to quickly look for a cheaper option in order to be able to keep your horse (no YO is going to want someone to stay who isn't going to be able to pay..). Say you have found a cheaper yard and have the chance to move at the start of the month. Say that you realise that you should pay a month's livery to her, but if there is any way of helping her find someone to fill the box and take your place at the end of the month, so you only have to pay until then it would be really helpful to you. Then breathe, and see what she says.

Liveries come and go, that's how it is. I always used to say to my liveries that it didn't matter if they wanted to move on, but that they should just give me plenty of notice and communicate!

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
For goodness sake tell her asap!! For every day you bottle it you'll have to pay another day's livery. I think you will owe her a month's notice, so if you tell her now you'll only need to pay an extra two weeks.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Sorry I don't find it as easy as you guys! im not the assertive type.

Anyway, I did it, all was fine and I am welcome to stay to the end of my notice etc etc. So I am a lot happier and I will of course get her a big box of chocolate/cookies and teabags as I know she likes those!

Now im looking forward to being on DIY again, the other liveries at my new place are also really lovely so I am looking forward to it :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
There you go, she didn't bite you! Well done. You don't have to be assertive, just polite.. Best of luck at your new yard and hope your situation resolves itself soon..

applecart14

Visit site
Ha ha I feel your pain. I have done this before. If you say " I am really sorry but I need to give notice, I have enjoyed being here but there are certain elements I'm not happy with, and I am prepared to discuss those if you really want me to. I have also run into financially difficulty after losing my job so I really need to find something else. I'd just like to say thank you for everything".

Last edited: