how to glue yourself to the saddle on a spooky horse?

tanyajade

Visit site
As the title suggests, I have a spooky horse. It's the exit through the side door that gets me.
I'm working on despooking her, but I think she'll always be spooky by nature, she's 10 now. So, I need to glue myself to that saddle, and push her through those spooks. I've only had her 7 months. She's been passed from pillar to post, but she's not going anywhere now. I know it'll take her time to trust me, and I'm doing all the things to get her following me, which she does.
Anyway, back to my point, a position with glue on my bum? Or is there nothing else but the heels down sit deep stuff? Any tips please?

djedgley

Visit site
I got an Acavello Seat Saver last year for my birthday. Blooming fantastic!! I ride a small spooky chap who, in a split second can be facing the other way. I've not once felt as I'm departing company with my saddle. I have done lost of de spooking with him in the last couple of years (he is 10 now) & that has really helped him but the seat saver has been really helpful too!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would use a neck strap. Whenever you have a suspect moment coming up just slide one hand under the strap at one side, still holding the rein. You can then still ride forward, but if she does spin you have a bit of purchase.

As far as the trust goes, this is good for that too as whenever she is feeling "high" some of your (natural!) tension will go down the neck strap and not into her mouth. If she does spin you won't hurt her, and will be in a position to ride her back to where she should have been with the minimum of fuss.

Good luck!

Tobiano

Visit site
oo I have an acavallo seat saver too they are marvellous. They are sticky on the side you sit on so you get that extra bit of glue while you sort yourself out. They are also EXTREMELY comfortable. I also have an R-S-Tor which is a kind of handle on the front of the saddle which you hold with the reins and have definitely found that helpful. People make their own too. Good luck! :)

djedgley

Visit site
The gel out seat saver gives you a confident "grip" with your saddle. I can still easily do rising trot etc but it definately helps to hold you in place. I have probably de spooked once or so every two months. This includes walking on plastic, flags, feed bags (anything I can get my hands on!) I think, because he has become more confident in the school with spooky objects he thinks twice about spooking & trying to turn around. I give him time to look at anything out hacking and most of the time he will now walk past most scary monsters. Good luck!!

starandgarfy51

Visit site
Hi
Owner of very spooky and overreactive mare here!
I've found that riding forward and active works for me. I ignore the small spooks at silly things like a leaf or a fallen tree, however she has and will totally lose the plot sometimes. You need to be calm, yet prepared at any point.
I do think you can build a good relationship with a spooky horse to the point they trust you, but when they want to go they will!
I find that sitting back really helps, not fool proof I have eaten the dirt lol! but sit back keep hands still and try to avoid the spin. If it happens don't make a thing out of it, just continue on in a positive way. grit your teeth, sing if you have to but don't ever turn for home.
Ive had times when I've used my voice strongly,backed up with my leg and whip if needed. I keep in my head that there is no other option but forward, that makes me so determined.
I had an instructor once who taught me to sit back into a spin, I tend to sit forward. it works sometimes, she was a genius!!
Star*

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Does that mean the sticky bottom jodphurs I bought are not much good for staying on when he spooks, shall have to get myself the sticky bottom gel for me and the hubby as when it starts to dry out he'd like to go riding (he's retired) wish I was :D

Baileybones

Visit site
Another vote for acavello seat saver! Whether placebo or not it gives me the confidence and potentially the stickability to ride more forward. My mare sounds like yours - if seat saver hadn't helped I was considering taxis and vodka ;-)

tanyajade

Visit site
That seat saver sounds like a good idea!
How can I be 'prepared at any time' for that impromptu spook, without feeling tense and nervous? X

Circe

Visit site
Gel out seat saver + kerrits sit tight jods = sticky. Add a neck strap for good measure, keep your back and hips relaxed so your heels stay down and go with the flow.
Kx

tanyajade

Visit site
Thank you everyone. This seat saver, sounds great, but would you ever feel confident enough to ride without it? I mean, I'm guessing you couldn't wear it during shows etc? X

Landcruiser

Visit site
Western saddle :)
Despite the added security of my western saddle, I still have to be prepared, because when my boy spooks, he spooks BIG and favours the "sideways vanishing from underneath" method. He can go weeks or months between one of these spectacular spooks, so the method I use (so that I don't have to be constantly "ready") is to relax, ride long, and imagine my legs wrapping the barrel of my horse - just lying against, but stretched down and loose. I keep my hips and pelvis very loose too. In this way, when a spook occurs I find I go with it rather than being left suspended in the air over the spot my horse vanished from. Haven't been off yet (tempts fate!!!).

[100323]

Visit site
I would recommend an RS-tor over a neck strap, as you still have the use of both hands at all times, and it is in your hand when you need it. you do not have to make a grab for it.

Tnavas

Visit site
Breastplate type neck strap - a normal neck strap can spin around the horses neck with you.

Ride horse forward in an outline - when the head is down the horse cannot see around him self so easily.

You could also try those shadow rolls that attach to the side of the bridle - Im not sure what they call them but they are like fur fabric that wrap around the cheek piece and velcro's to itself

For you - the spray on grip stuff that tennis players use - one of the Pony Club National Coaches here in NZ swears by the stuff - used mainly for eventing - you spray some on the saddle flaps.

Ride in a GP saddle with slightly shorter stirrups.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I have a really tatty looking stock saddle. I used it to get confidence on my horse when i first got him and he was bucking. Its gathering dust now but i would use it again if i was uncertain with a new horse

Baileybones

Visit site
Seat savers are BD legal and BSJA as far as I'm aware. No problem discounting as long as you don't slide down your horse.

I think it helps as I know its there so it helps me stay relaxed. The more relaxed I am the more able I am to ride the spooks. Keep your leg on and try to keep their concentration at all times.

I know this probably sounds daft but try to ride her like she's not a spooky horse. The more relaxed you are the less likely you are to be dropped :)

Sophstar

Visit site
Having just got home from riding my friend's horse who can vanish from underneath you within a split second by either spinning, jumping into the air, rearing or using speed (or a combination) my heather moffat seat saver contributes to my adapted bum stickiness. Plus keeping your lower back and hips loose so your body follows the direction of the horse and not straight out the side door!The best thing that's helping this horse's spookiness is riding forwards and encouraging the horse to put their brave pants on...it's working as long as my mind is reading 10 seconds ahead and pushing him on before motorbike, lorry, trailer etc comes near. Only 1 near saddle exit today after shooting along a verge prancing like a deer!That's good for him!