How to help a bitch in season?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
The wee dog is in season...

The last time, when I thought it was a silent season, wasn't one, but this one defintiely is.

The poor wee thing is, um, very keen on having her needs met. The other dogs are just mildly bemused and are putting up with her 'interest' in them.

She's obviously not very happy and is very vocal about it. She has to be on a lead when outside as otherwise she bobs off and doesn't easily bob back, which is not like she has been - she's become very good at all sorts, so this is definitely hormone driven. I don't want to lose her in the forest.

She has a nylabone (a huge one as it's one of the Grottie's) and is wearing it down a fair bit... She also likes cuddles so long as she's very close to the person. The licking has ramped up again (bleugh).

I have to admit, it's the high pitched whining that is driving me bonkers. Well, that and I don't like seeing her so obviously frustrated :oops::rolleyes: Any suggestions as to how to help the wee thing through this? We're coming to the end of week one...

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you AM. I know I'm not liking the noise and seeing her constantly shoving her bits into other dogs' faces, but for her it's worse.

I might call the vet tomorrow. See if they have any suggestions.

We used to breed, a long time ago, and I don't remember any of this behaviour, or at least nothing to this level.

Moobli

Visit site
Oh poor girl - and your poor ear drums! I have no idea if there’s anything the vet can prescribe to help or whether there may be some homeopathic remedy you could try, so hope you get some useful advice. I just wanted to sympathise with you.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you M. She's quiet for the moment, but will start again as soon as she's not being held. She'll calm on me, though licks, and wants to be on D as well, but won't settle.

It's surprisingly tiring to human ears. Or maybe it's that seeing such stress is tiring.

Clodagh

Visit site
No suggestions for help but my youngest lab is in season at the moment and I can see the plus for spaying- for both her and me.
It will be over soon!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Thank you AM. I know I'm not liking the noise and seeing her constantly shoving her bits into other dogs' faces, but for her it's worse.

I might call the vet tomorrow. See if they have any suggestions.

We used to breed, a long time ago, and I don't remember any of this behaviour, or at least nothing to this level.

None of the bitches I have owned/have known/currently owns were as affected as your wee dog when they used to be in seasons. They've mainly licked themselves a lot to keep themselves clean, been a little bit more interested in other dogs, and peed more often out on walks.

The only "home" remedy I know of is more exercise, and a Lust Buster spray to help disguise her interesting smell for potentially entire male dogs nearby when you're out doing the exercise. Hope the veterinarian can offer you/her something which helps.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Hang in there..it doesn’t last forever..
What day is her season on..? The middle week (day 11,through to day 17 )was the most extreme for my small girl,regarding behavior changes .After that ,even my male lost interest....however my breeder friend warned me she had a mating occur on day 22 ,when she had returned a b$tch to the pack.
Having said this,I’ve not had any of my girls show the whining,etc....just tail flagging and some licking .
Could the excess licking be making herself sore? I don’t like them,but maybe the female pants could help her in this situation

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Spooky AM - I was just hopping in to update, thank you for asking.

She's much more settled today. Still showing some, um, interest, but nothing like the last two days thankfully. I've been a bit wonky today with a lovely head cold so I've not called anyone, which I'm less down on myself about as she is definitely on the improve.

She'll be going to be spayed as soon as (recommended) possible as I don't want her going through this again.

When outside she's on a lead, which is miserable for her, but I really don't want her bobbing off on the hunt for a fine (or otherwise!) chap ?