How to impress the judges

Frazer

Visit site
I am going to do some riding classes in a show this sunday. I am BSJA rider so haven't done many riding classes maybe one or two, i am hoping to do best junior rider, best mare, horse/hack and some jumping. Has anyone got any tips?

Frazer

Visit site
ADDED :::::: also going trough transitions, does it matter to much if the horse comes off the outline! I have tried and we are getting better but not there yet... and in canter her outline isn't as good.

wanderersmelody

Visit site
Keep an eye on the judge and steward as much as possible so that when they ask you to trot on etc, you are prompt to move into the next transition. If you are aske dto do a show, keep it simple. Always a good idea to watch the show that the horse that has been pulled in first has done. Tackwise, no big flashy numnahs. If your horse needs a numnah, make sure its dark coloured and as close fitting as possible to the saddle. No martingales, no boots/bandages unless its a jumping phase of a working hunter. Tips - take some black plaiting cotton or a piece of black elastic for your number. Better than the string they give out. Round the edges of your number off. Make sure your trim your gee up. Clip heels out, trim whiskers off muzzle and under jaw line. For added glamour, pop a bit of baby oil round her muzzle and around eyes. And enjoy.......

wanderersmelody

Visit site
Tip - Trot to canter, wait for a corner and pop them in on a corner, and then in your individual show, work it out so that when you go from trot to canter, you come across the middle of the figure of eight and ask your horse off into canter alongside the fence rather than towards the line up - hope that makes sense. better to let your horse settle than fight it.

Gingernags

Visit site
Smile! Honestly, grin like an idiot and enjoy yourself. I hate seeing sullen faced brats sulking round the ring and love seeing the ones who are having the time of their life.

Relaxes the horse too, instead of panicking and it travelling through the reins.

Have fun!

rach1984horse

Visit site
If you have to strip your horse and trot them in hand, make sure you walk smartly and purposefully with your head high and your back straight.

You'd be amazed how many people ride beautifully but spoil the whole picture by then shuffling up the the judge chuffing their feet and half dragging their pony.

Also, when you are pulled out to do your show smile and say Good Morning/Afternoon. It's only polite and looks much better than creeping up looking at her as if she's a fire breathing monster. It will help you relax as well. If you smile at the judge they will smile back at you. Chances are a judge will remember someone who they have spoken to a lot more than someone who just shuffled up and plonked their pony infront of them.

Good Luck. Let us know how you get on.
laugh.gif