how to improve my riding on riding school ponies

uni.rider

New User
Visit site
hi,

I ride with my university team and so we use horses at a riding school - both for our weekly lessons and competitions. I want to improve my riding, but find it hard when the horses I ride are inconsistent!

I learnt to ride on riding school ponies also, but previously had the luxury of private lessons - so had the benefit of much more instruction than I can get when riding in a group. I would say I am a confident rider, but maybe not as neat as i would like to be.

So, any tips on how I can work to improve my riding? - I would like to become better at encouraging the horse to work from behind and to work in an outline (as much as they can!).

Our competitions are run such that when we are not hosting, we ride at the other teams stables and so on horses we have never ridden before, so I would also be very appreciative of general tips on how to improve my riding in such situations and on how to become more receptive to new horses!

Many thanks!

teapot

Visit site
Riding inconsistent horses is one of the best ways to learn. Being able to adapt to what's underneath you is a great skill to have imho. The best advice I was ever given (having spent years jumping from rs pony to rs pony to be a guinea pig in ptt lessons) was get them off your leg, forward, and in an even balanced rhythm. Everything else comes after those three things. Pointless trying to get them straight if their rhythm is uneven or they're not willing to bend around your leg.

Even in a group situation don't be afraid to chuck in some transitions, half halts etc, circle away if you have to. If you're not getting to work in open order, then maybe ask if you one week you can. Warming up rs horses on their own IN a group environment is a good task in itself, and a great way of developing your effectiveness. Working in open order means that you can treat every lesson as though it was the seven/ten minute warm up for a BUCS comp. Think about what you'd need to do to get an unknown horse working as best it can with the scales of training always in your mind - is the horse forward, in a rhythm, is it consistent or is it dying in the corners. On more forward horses, do it all in reverse - make sure they're not rushing around corners, or pulling themselves forwards, rather than pushing.

While you're doing all that - think about how you're asking for transitions. Are you being direct and clear so the horse understands? Are you nagging? Or are your quick to back your leg up with a stick on a lazy horse? Are you consistent on how you ask for bend on a circle? Is your contact even and enough for them to start to work into, or is their nose getting closer to the ground?

I'm schooling one of my RDA horses at the mo, who's the most generic inconsistent RS horse, but he's also one of the most rewarding I've ever ridden. I do all of the above with him and it makes such a difference.

Last edited:

uni.rider

New User
Visit site
Than you so much for the response, really helpful :) yes fortunately we are able to ride in an open order, so I will be sure to try your tips.
So in order to help get them forward and off my leg your saying to try lots of transitions, clear aids and a consistent contact? (just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly!)

teapot

Visit site
Than you so much for the response, really helpful :) yes fortunately we are able to ride in an open order, so I will be sure to try your tips.
So in order to help get them forward and off my leg your saying to try lots of transitions, clear aids and a consistent contact? (just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly!)

No worries. Exactly that, and if you find you're having to nag, then back up with a stick, rather than leg leg leg leg leg. They switch off quicker the more they're nagged.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mmmm, hate to say this, but the problem with RS horses is that they are usually dead to the leg simply because of their regime and what they do, unfortunately a lot of them are bored to death - that is until they're out of that environment, when they usually tend to let fling and go ballistic!

May I throw an idea in the melting pot? my suggestion is to look around for some riding experience away from the RS environment if you can. i.e. if you are reasonably competent, it might be that there are people out there that maybe could do with a bit of help to exercise their horses and would appreciate your help?? It would certainly be worth a post on FB perhaps to see??? IMO there's nothing for improving one's riding quite like a good breeze across open country on a good horse! Plus this would stimulate you, improve your riding and experience with different horses, and would give you something different, not like the RS horses!

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
Mmmm, hate to say this, but the problem with RS horses is that they are usually dead to the leg simply because of their regime and what they do, unfortunately a lot of them are bored to death - that is until they're out of that environment, when they usually tend to let fling and go ballistic!

May I throw an idea in the melting pot? my suggestion is to look around for some riding experience away from the RS environment if you can. i.e. if you are reasonably competent, it might be that there are people out there that maybe could do with a bit of help to exercise their horses and would appreciate your help?? It would certainly be worth a post on FB perhaps to see??? IMO there's nothing for improving one's riding quite like a good breeze across open country on a good horse! Plus this would stimulate you, improve your riding and experience with different horses, and would give you something different, not like the RS horses!

It's a good point in terms of general riding ability and improvement. However I have a feeling the OP is thinking in terms of how to get the best out of the horses found at uni riding competitions, and most will be generic riding school horses of varying levels, who require a different set of skills to get the best out of, in a tight time frame. You get under 10 mins to warm them up.

A good blast across a field on an easy forward going decent ride won't do much in the way of learning how to get Sid the dead RS horse round a dressage test imho. Of course you'll improve your seat, and have some fun, but it won't teach you how to effectively ride a rs horse that knows every single trick in the book of how to get out of work. You can only learn to ride the dead'uns effectively by riding the dead'uns, and learning their tricks and secret buttons.

It's the the whole idea and ultimate test of uni riding comps. I've seen and know people who have only ridden forward easy horses and whilst they rode beautifully, never got very far with uni riding or uni comps...

Last edited:

Nappy Croc

Visit site
Step 1- get it off the leg. It's already warned up and you don't have long so don't waste a lap walking around, gallop if you need to (it might seem an aggressive warm up technique but if you don't the other teams will!) and keep revving it up until you are getting walk- canters easily. If that's all you have time for leave it at that. You can't make much impact of suppleness in 7min, it bends or it doesn't, the transitions and getting it generally listening are where you'll stand out :) If it's buzzy hopefully you'll know before you get on and certainly after an open up, if so that gives you more chance to think about bend, letting the neck out and a calm rhythm :)

gnubee

Visit site
If we're talking dead to the leg, make sure you bring your own schooling whip to your lessons. Most rs don't offer them so most rs horses are still responsive to them.
Loads of transitions, circles, yielding. Get them listening to you and you really considering how your aids impact the horse.
Also, consider which rs you're having lessons at. IME the BUSA ones tend to be expensive. Could you get twice as many lessons at a cheaper place. Sometimes quantity does beat quality and to some extent I think group rs lessons are one of those times.
Also consider whether you are in the right lesson - if you move more advanced will you be pushed more out of your comfort zone? If you go less advanced would you always be lead file/ demo horse and get more out of it? Do you get to ride for different instructors - they will all have their pet things about your riding and the horse you are on. Ride for the same instructor on the same horse for more than 3 lessons and chances of you hearing any new tips significantly reduce. The tips will probably still be valid, but someone else may give you new ideas.

Finally make sure you are riding the right range of horses. Don't always ask for the one you are comfortable with, but if you find one difficult request it frequently until you figure it out. Don't get pigeon joked to a type. Fast, slow, stubborn, kind, giant, tiny, ride them all. If you haven't ridden the smallest riding school pony they have there that can carry you safely, ask for a go regardless of how ridiculous you look or safe/ steady/ 'he hasn't jumped in years' they are meant to be. If they have horses you never get a go on in your current lesson, ask what lesson you *can* ride them in, and join that for a week.