how to learn to grip with thigh n not knees

Brambridge04

Visit site
I tend to ride short. very short. as struggle to keep leg on at the correct length. I think its because i point toes out n grip at the knee.

please no nasty crit.... Im tryin to improve x

whisp&willow

Visit site
you dont want to grip with your thigh either. ;)

i would suggest riding without stirrups to lengthen your leg and deepen your seat. try and let your legs hang long and relaxed.

you might find it helpful to have someone lunge you at first.

just keep to walk and trot. i did this for a while in every schooling session to lengthen my leg as i always rode a bit short. it has made a big difference.

when you take your stirrups back you should feel the need to let them down. try and hug the horse with the inside of your calf rather than your thigh. ;)

x

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
If you grip with your thighs, you will force your seat up and out of the saddle. You want your weight to be dropping down through your legs and down into your heels. Sounds like you need riding lessons. It really helps to have eyes on the ground watching, guiding, teaching and giving feedback.

trina1982

Visit site
The thigh should be snug. The whole 'relax' is a myth that naturally talented riders tend to tell others because they are often unaware of how well toned their body is in it's natural state. To them, it feels relaxed. To others, it feels far from relaxed (until the point that it becomes natural). It's one of the biggest hurdles when understanding how to ride better - understanding that what you feel/interpret is very different to someone elses interpretation and it's not a one size fits all game.
Have a read of this if you are interested in the muscles used during riding...
http://www.classicaldressage.co.uk/muscle_use_in_riding.html

Ultimately the horse is your guide. If they go well with a 'relaxed thigh' keep doing it (because that interpretation is right for you), if they don't then change it (to a snug thigh, gripping thigh etc) and see what happens :)

Good luck
Trina x

Como

Visit site
Take your feet out of the stirrups and let your legs hang long, then open your hips (oo er!) and roll your thighs back from your hip joint. You may need to lengthen your leathers now, pop your feet back into your stirrups. Your legs will be flatter against your horse's sides and your feet will naturally point forwards instead of poking out. Get a good instructor to show you how if my instructions are incomprehensible!!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Lots & lots & lots & then more work without stirrups. If you can, try & ride bareback, even if its just a few strides of walk, don't try & grip, or worry about your toes, just let your leg hang straight down. The degree of 'grip' you get sat like that, is the easiest way I can think of to explain it. (better at showing than explaining) if you try & grip with your thighs too much, you end up with a stiff position instead. Don't worry about having shortish stirrups for now, better than constantly reaching for them. Also, some people find it easier to concentrate on keeping their knees in instead of their toes.

Mike007

Visit site
Thighs:D knees :D ,I have been known to use everything
IMG_8577.jpg
:eek:

L&M

Visit site
I feel your pain!!

I have the same problem, and although am ok if just schooling or hacking, as soon as am hunting or competing my leg position goes to pot.

When i was a kid I had a pc instructor that used to make us ride with £1 notes under our knees - it they were still there at the end of the rally we got to keep the money! Fat chance, but this where I think my leg problems go back too....

Echo the riding without stirrups and lessons, and please let me know if you find a miracle cure!

noblesteed

Visit site
You need to learn to use the weight in your heel to keep your balance not rely on 'gripping' as such. Work in trot without stirrups - as soon as you grip with anything your leg will be forced 'up' and lose balance. The key is to push your heel down so your leg is lengthened and you become stable and balanced. It will take a while to 'reprogram' your legs into doing this though.
I found cantering with stirrups in a forward seat helped me get my weight into my heels as well, because my horse was spooky so it wasn't very safe for me to go stirrupless very often! If you can find a field or bridleway to canter in a straight line you can practice this better than in a school.

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
The thigh should be snug. The whole 'relax' is a myth that naturally talented riders tend to tell others because they are often unaware of how well toned their body is in it's natural state. To them, it feels relaxed. To others, it feels far from relaxed (until the point that it becomes natural). It's one of the biggest hurdles when understanding how to ride better - understanding that what you feel/interpret is very different to someone elses interpretation and it's not a one size fits all game.
Have a read of this if you are interested in the muscles used during riding...
http://www.classicaldressage.co.uk/muscle_use_in_riding.html

Ultimately the horse is your guide. If they go well with a 'relaxed thigh' keep doing it (because that interpretation is right for you), if they don't then change it (to a snug thigh, gripping thigh etc) and see what happens :)

Good luck
Trina x

Thanks for this. I had a first classical lesson the other day and it blew my mind. And my muscles...

TigerTail

Visit site
Whereabouts are you OP? Im looking for guineapig riders to teach atm as am training to be an Enlightened Equitation instructor and you sound interesting :D