How to make a Pessoa

druid

Visit site
Step by step guide, with pics.

Assemble all materials:
2 x spring clips
1 x swivel spring clip
12m of rope (I used two 6m lengths of 8mm marine gauge polypropylene in red and white/blue, this makes sorting out the Pessoa for atatchment much easier as it's basically colour coded!)
Electrical tape
Scissors
Fake fur girth sleeve
A horse's rug to help with measurements

Step 1.
Take your first 6m length of rope and thread it though the swivel clip so it sits in the middle of the rope, like so
DSCF3676.jpg

Step 2
Clip the swivel clip to the approximate place a roller would lie on the rug. Measure the length of rope on one side required to reach the hocks (fillet string :w:) and thread through the girth sleeve until this point.
DSCF3677.jpg

Step 3
Do the same with the rope on the other side of the clip but thread it through the girth sleeve from the opposite side.
DSCF3678.jpg

DSCF3679.jpg

Step 4
Cut the other 6m rope into two 3m sections. Attach one of these 3m pieces to the loose end of rope protruding from the girth sleeve. With a square knot and electrical tape the loose tails back to thier respective ropes.
DSCF3683.jpg

DSCF3680.jpg

Step 5
Thread the rope through one of the spring clips. Double the rope back on itself to make a loop and secure with a Taut line knot. (This knot allows direct adjustment of the loop size but does not move under pressure). Tape the tail end to the rope which emerges from the knot (i.e not the rope which the knot slides on!!)
DSCF3682.jpg

DSCF3681.jpg

Step 6
Repeat steps 4 & 5 on the other side of the Pessoa with the other 3m section of rope. The end!

Fitting

Nb. Please note in these pictures the horse wear's an elastic surcingle which should NOT be used for lunging - these pics were taken for reference only. The fur sleeve is also a little low in these pics. (Also excuse muddy, pissed off horse
tongue.gif
)

Position 1
DSCF3686.jpg

The swivel clip attaches to the crupper/top dee of the roller (imagine people, imagine :w:). The red rope runs up the sides, through the bit ring and goes between the front leg to be clipped to the martingale/draw rein dee. (The taut line knot is used to adjust the red rope length and thus the fit)

Position 2
DSCF3687.jpg

Identical to position 1 except the red line clips attach to the side rein dees.

Position 3
DSCF3688.jpg

Identical to position 1 except the red line clips attach to the top dee.

Enjoy!

druid

Visit site
Really...it's easy, that took me 20mins max to make and I've only played around with a real Pessoa twice!

spaniel

Visit site
Nah....dont bother making them. get this post and the instructions deleted from here and sell the method on Ebay for tenner a time.

druid

Visit site
You're welcome, guys. The entertaining bit? I don't even use a Pessoa or lunge
crazy.gif
smirk.gif
This one was actually made for Niamhy

Rosyryan

Visit site
This pattern for a pessoa is brilliant!! Last year "yard-know-it-all", Borrowed mine to "school" a horse, and boot-legged my pessoa! Without asking GGRRRR,didn't even give me a box of choss, anyway my naughty friend knew what she was upto and fiddled around with the knots so she was unable to adjust it to fit afore-mentioned horse, Anyways don't mind too much as I paid peanuts for her Polo, heehee, I really hate people who don't have the manners to ask!!. She could have had the instructions as well if she had, had the manners to ask, horse looked as though it was wearing a "cats-cradle"

Niamhy

photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
You're welcome, guys. The entertaining bit? I don't even use a Pessoa or lunge
crazy.gif
smirk.gif
This one was actually made for Niamhy

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeedy, lucky me!! This girl is a genius!!

Now the big question, will Niamhy be able to assemble same on horsey?

ps As you know Murph is off for 6-8 weeks, this was supposed to be used for him, but will now be used on the Yos mare that im riding!

Xanthoria

Visit site
This is great!

But wait - can I ask, as I haven't seen a real Pessoa rig, but why do you need two pieces of rope - wouldn't one running all the way back to front work just as well, without the knots in step 4?

Am I missing something essential? (It's quite possible!)
grin.gif