How to make a Richard Maxwell style halter?

QueenDee_

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows how to make a Richard Maxwell style training halter? When researching I found several posts that said they were easy to make rather than buying one! ;)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Dead easy if you have one to copy. Just buy some thick cord and get knotting. I don't have one to hand to explain but its only making 2 loops then threading through.

JillA

Visit site
Look on Youtube, I did hear there was a video on there with instructions. I tried using one of mine as a pattern but it is a question of doubling certain parts and ensuring you have enough to follow through. Maybe I didn't practise enough but it wasn't straightforward the way mine are made.

Here http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=making a rope halter&sm=12

Last edited:

Dreckly

Visit site
One thing to note is that the cord must be shiney so it slips to release. I think Max uses marine cord as it is strong and waterproof and shiney.

Fides

Visit site
marine cord doesnt work as the knots will come undone. Climbing rope works really well but dont use any thicker than 8mm. I make them -its not too difficult once you get the hang of it... PM me if you get stuck but I started with youtube vids.

I have in the past sold kits with instructions but don't any longer :(

Dry Rot

Visit site
Is that the same as a rope halter? Plenty of instructions on the Internet and the rope can be purchased here:

http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/c/5357/Yacht-Rope.html

I can't tell you what rope I use as I always call at the shop and buy on sight and I use different thicknesses for different tasks. They are not difficult to make once you get the knack.

Edited to say that marine rope works for me and if you use the proper knots (double over hand I think they are called) they will never come undone! Isn't climbing rope stretchy?

Last edited:

Fides

Visit site
If it's the training pressure halter then you will need rope that will slide and release easily!

if its a pressure halter you need metal rings to slide through - even marine rope will not release quicly enough. The rest of the knots using marine rope will not stay tight dueto slippiness. Trust me - I've been making them for about 10 years now...

Toffee44

Visit site
I bought one off ebay which was a bit cheaper than the original ones. Its still looking good after two years use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Natural-H...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item20df150cc3

This is the one I bought. I couldn't find rope I liked when making my own. No difference This and friends original one.

You need to understand how to fit and use it OP. I was lucky that I had a lesson with Richard learnt so much. And it was the making of my pony.

Last edited: