How to make a stock?

SOS

Visit site
(Or recommendations of who to make me some)

I wear tweed to compete and have decided I want to branch out and make some funky stocks out of some funky fabric (within reason). I like to wear unique things so think this could be a way to have a stock no one else does.

How hard is this to do? I’m not a seamstress but can set up a sewing machine and press the pedal. I looked for a template online briefly but couldn’t find one.

TIA.

many experienced

Floxie

Visit site
I do a bit of sewing and LOVE my stocks - it's always been on my list of things to do! I've never come across any fabric that strikes me, though.

I think my first step would be to make a template from an existing stock. Just trace it out onto some newspaper. Cut out two sides with some seam allowance, sew right-sides together, turn inside out, press and sew the gap.

Good ones have a buttonhole - I believe most (some?!) sewing machines will do that for you but I've never done it before.

Some have a little elastic loop in case your shirt has a back button. I'd sew this in during the first stage, pointing loop into the middle, so when you turn it out, it's on the outside.

Most I've seen are actually two pieces, stitched together at the corners to make one length with a 'slit' to poke the end through. You'll figure that out easy enough if you take a good look at an existing one.

So, yeah - get a cheap one and pull it apart to see how it works :)
(you've got me wanting to go find nice fabric now!)

Kat

Visit site
I would recommend Mrs Bs stocks for funky patterns, they tie really well too.

I have made a couple myself too, I just used one I already had as a pattern. A fat quarter isn't quite enough fabric though

SOS

Visit site
I do a bit of sewing and LOVE my stocks - it's always been on my list of things to do! I've never come across any fabric that strikes me, though.

I think my first step would be to make a template from an existing stock. Just trace it out onto some newspaper. Cut out two sides with some seam allowance, sew right-sides together, turn inside out, press and sew the gap.

Good ones have a buttonhole - I believe most (some?!) sewing machines will do that for you but I've never done it before.

Some have a little elastic loop in case your shirt has a back button. I'd sew this in during the first stage, pointing loop into the middle, so when you turn it out, it's on the outside.

Most I've seen are actually two pieces, stitched together at the corners to make one length with a 'slit' to poke the end through. You'll figure that out easy enough if you take a good look at an existing one.

So, yeah - get a cheap one and pull it apart to see how it works :)
(you've got me wanting to go find nice fabric now!)

Thankyou for all that information Floxie! I’m going to have a look at an old plain one I have and see if I can do it!

I would recommend Mrs Bs stocks for funky patterns, they tie really well too.

I have made a couple myself too, I just used one I already had as a pattern. A fat quarter isn't quite enough fabric though

Oh darn the fabric I have been eyeing up comes in fat quarters!

Kat

Visit site
Thankyou for all that information Floxie! I’m going to have a look at an old plain one I have and see if I can do it!

Oh darn the fabric I have been eyeing up comes in fat quarters!

If you can get two fat quarters the same you could probably do it. One fat quarter leaves a bit of a skimpy stock.

Silver Clouds

Visit site
They are really easy to make, and there's some great fabric out there so go for it! The thickness of the fabric is important, don't forget there are two layers- and four layers at the seams- so if the fabric is a bit too thick then you will end up with a very bulky stock to wear. If the fabric is quite thin (particularly if white/cream) then the outline/shadow of the seams will show through to the outside which looks untidy, but this can be overcome with a thin layer of iron-on interfacing (not the stiff stuff though). If your machine doesn't have a buttonhole setting then they are easy enough to sew by hand, just take a little while to lay down enough stitches- don't forget that you don't cut the buttonhole open until it's been stitched though!

Good luck with it; it's great being able to pick your own fabric, and if you want a matching scrunchie too then it definitely works out cheaper to make your own. It's nice to compete in ones that you have made :)

Muddywellies

Visit site
Buckover Equibibs are lovely. I have quite a collection now. As they are ready tied, and set on a 'bib', you can wear whatever you like under your show jacket. They are a game changer for me.

SOS

Visit site
Sooo this didn’t go very well. I bought fabric. Tried and failed. Say musing what to do for a month then finally sent it off to a crafty, seamstress to do it for me. The result, some bright, different stocks.

Quite happy with them! Ignore how badly they are tied, it’s near impossible to do on a coat hanger facing towards you! Hence why the blue one, which is reversible, I gave up and just did it on myself.

769E175F-D15F-4B3E-9D25-9C9E6B80762F.jpeg

silv

Visit site
Sooo this didn’t go very well. I bought fabric. Tried and failed. Say musing what to do for a month then finally sent it off to a crafty, seamstress to do it for me. The result, some bright, different stocks.

Quite happy with them! Ignore how badly they are tied, it’s near impossible to do on a coat hanger facing towards you! Hence why the blue one, which is reversible, I gave up and just did it on myself.

View attachment 73858
love the bottom two, tying them less so! Even with a Youtube video running on my phone simultaneously I still struggle, was going to practice on my dog but she was having none of it.