How to make my dog cat friendly?

HeatherAda

Visit site
We don't have a cat, nor will ever have one but does anyone have any tips?

Next door's cat is used to our garden being her territory. The house had sat empty for a year before we moved in and prior to that was rented and the garden neglected. As a result it was totally overgrown and probably a paradise for the cat.

So pup comes along in January and for the last month or two she has found her voice whenever the cat is found in the garden. She chases after it and if the cat is on our shed (which it often is) she'll stand and bark like mad. The barking, although not all the time, is not something the neighbours should have to put up with when she kicks off. Because to be fair it is a daily occurance sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. It's a shame because she's actually happiest pottering outside in the garden but ruins it for herself and I have to bring her in.

The cat uses the same gap in the hedge which puppy heads to straight away barking so we've filled this in which I hope will help, but just let puppy out and heard mad barking. Cue terrified cat chased up a tree and stuck, trembling. Not a cat I've seen before and I just got scratched to bits helping get it down. I don't even like cats!
wink.gif

She barks and pulls at them on walks too, which I promptly stop. Any ideas anyone?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I await replies with interest.....we have two cats that like to parade up and down outside the runs every day.
However much I hate the flippin things, we live in the sticks and we have a lot of meal and grain and they do keep the rodent population down.
We have tried desensitisation and letting the dogs get up close (under control) so the cats spit and hiss at them but that hasn't worked - I thought after six months they *might* be bored of jumping up and down and barking like loonies every time they see cats but, nope.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
My JRT was attacked by my cousins cat as a pup, so won't go near any cat which stands its ground........................those that run are fair game though!!!!
shocked.gif
crazy.gif
grin.gif

HeatherAda

Visit site
Yeah the chase today was VERY exciting for Darcy. Too exciting. I think most cats that stand their ground would see a dog off... but I'd rather not have a nasty encounter for either side really
smile.gif

Someone must have some words of wisdom...

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Just be firm with him and tell him off everytime he does it - always worked for me
smile.gif
OK so I have cats so my dog is well exposed to them but when he was an enthusiatic pup I used the same method as I used to stop him chasing sheep. A firm NO and if that didn't work a sharp smack followed. I know a lot of people encourage their dogs to chase cats but who wants their dog chasing a cat into a road and getting hit by a car?

CAYLA

Visit site
You will find it hard to stop your puppy doing this, esp if he is not in regular contact with cats, even dogs that live with cats including mine, will chase outside, it's a natural chase instinct, you could try offering the puppy a positive distraction when the cat is around, like a kong or nice long lasting treat, to keep him occupied as the longer the cat stays still the more he will get used to her, failing that a spray collar or water pistol to reprimand him for chasing the cat.
The only other thing that generally puts them off is a good swipe from the cat as PBS mentioned
grin.gif

nadinek82

Visit site
I totally agree with Cala, even if your dog lives with a cat it will most likely still chase them outside. My dog always chased cats outside, even after we had our own. The dog was 12 when i got the kitten, he quickly accepted him but it made no difference to other cats he met outside. A water pistol or spray collar is the best way to try and prevent a dog from chasing cats