How to market my horse I have to sell :(

siennamiller

Visit site
I don't want to put too many details on here, as don't want to be accused of advertising, but unfortunately I have to sell my horse, I was thinking about it anyway, mainly because I just can't afford her.
She has some separation issues. She is lovely in every way, to handle, take to shows (I always go Sj and eventing on my own.) Brill hacking etc, but she cannot be in a field on her own (she's fine as long as she has her friends in next field), and if she is in the barn on her own she gets very stressed, shouts and can weave.
I don't know how to word this?
Also, no idea how to price her, but that's a whole other question :eek:!
Does anyone have any ideas?

Flicker

Visit site
Maybe something like 'would suit livery yard environment where there is lots going on and she has company' or something like that. Then follow up with a more detailed explanation of her needs if anyone enquires.

Flicker

Visit site
Ps, my first horse was the same. It was easy to work around and would not have put me off buying her.

The fact that she had a wicked sense of humour and enjoyed seeing me in pain might have, but that small detail only became apparent later lol!!

siennamiller

Visit site
It is very easy to work with if you have a sympathetic yard manager which I do, but she is better off in a quiet yard, lots of horses moving around upset her....

Flicker

Visit site
I would then focus the ad on what she would be happy with, eg 'suit quiet yard with stable routine' or something like that.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I wouldn't put it in the advert but when they ring or email explain in depth what exactly her issue is. Having it in the advert might put alot of people off that once explain to wouldn't be an issue, if it's in the advert they might not enquire. No ones time is wasted if it is mentioned before viewing.

be positive

Visit site
I wouldn't put it in the advert but when they ring or email explain in depth what exactly her issue is. Having it in the advert might put alot of people off that once explain to wouldn't be an issue, if it's in the advert they might not enquire. No ones time is wasted if it is mentioned before viewing.

This, she seems to have enough good points to put in the ad and the one issue is something best disclosed in a conversation where you can be totally clear when explaining how she is kept happy, it should not put off the right buyer but if you put it in the ad it may be misinterpreted or take over the ad so people miss out reading the good parts.

I only put positives in any ad, unless there is a true vice that needs declaring, then when people contact me I can go through the fine details of which there are usually a few even in a mainly "perfect" horse, the right person will appreciate your honesty and if she ticks most boxes will still come out to try her.

oldie48

Visit site
Ditto
This, she seems to have enough good points to put in the ad and the one issue is something best disclosed in a conversation where you can be totally clear when explaining how she is kept happy, it should not put off the right buyer but if you put it in the ad it may be misinterpreted or take over the ad so people miss out reading the good parts.

I only put positives in any ad, unless there is a true vice that needs declaring, then when people contact me I can go through the fine details of which there are usually a few even in a mainly "perfect" horse, the right person will appreciate your honesty and if she ticks most boxes will still come out to try her.

TheMule

Visit site
She sounds like any other mare to me, I wouldn't expect a horse to react in any other way. Therefore I certainly wouldn't make a thing of it in her advert and would just discuss with any serious potential purchaser. I can't imagine anyone batting an eyelid

L&M

Visit site
To price her, have a look at websites such as Horsemart, Horse deals, Horsequest, H & H etc. Look at other horses of her age/height/description etc then estimate from there.

I managed to sell a horse with severe separation anxiety - he couldn't be left alone in the field or stable (would jump out), couldn't travel alone (would load but then trash the lorry), and became increasingly hard to hack on his own. I did market him realistically, and at a price to reflect this (850.00), but managed to find the perfect home for him by being honest with the buyer. He is now happy in a home where his anxieties can be managed, and with an owner that has the facilities and understanding to accommodate these.

Tbh your horse does not sound half as severe, with these issues bring preferable to a bucker/rearer, so just advertise honestly and price realistically.

Good luck x

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
Every single horse has a "but." It doesn't sound much, frankly. If you can hack out and go to a show by yourself I would describle it as a non-problem. I know that there are horses that would be happy left in a field by themselves, but not that many and it is sensible and reasonable that a horse should not be left in a stable with no other horses around.

Advertise your horse on its good points and just explain that she cannot be left. For many people with horses at a yard or at home with other horses this isn't going to be a big issue.

milos

Visit site
I wouldn't mention it in the advert. It's not unusual for horse not to like being on it's own so unless she will jump the fence I'd say that's the same as any horse I've owned re the field side of things. It is something I would bring up on the phone but if possible wait till the viewing unless they are traveling miles but honesty is always best policy. But Re advert nice clear pictures from good angles. Bullet point the what you are saying about the horse and keep it simple. I roll my eyes when people give reasons for sale ie don't have time to do horse justice, wasted in this home and five star home sort. Plus put the price in advert saves wasting everyone's time ie can they afford.

My Muppet

Visit site
Sienna, I have nothing to add it's all covered above. I just wanted to say that I'm so terribly sorry that you have found yourself in this position. I know how horrible it is as I was in the same boat many years ago. Your girl sounds lovely and perfectly normal to me. Wishing you all the best in findng a lovely home for her. (((Hugs)))