How to override your nerves...?

Muffin

Visit site
Hi
I ve ridden horses all my life,worked with them since leaving school and like to think im a quietly confident rider, never have any doubts excercising racers, getting on a youngster or 'nutter' but I seem to be suffering stage fright jumping in fornt of people at competitions. I m fine jumping any shape size at home but I dont seem to be able to override the'jelly' feeling at a competition, its more than butterflies,believe it could be severe case of fear of failure. XC im fine, but then theres not really a crowd.
Has anyone had this and found a way of tricking your brain out of it? Had it since I was 10 an after a disaster the other day its appeared again and Im now 26!
So frustrating as I can do it on my own or if theres no one there who I know cares. Not nervous about dressage, showing or anything else, just this odd glitch which I cannot shift and I dont think just keep going out to comps will help as i feel im struggling to over ride the jelly feeling.

Considering hypnotherapy or poss any cheaper ideas?

Thankyou for your time.

redheadkelj

Visit site
I had exactly the same thing with showjumping after years of Pony Club and being told by other parents and kids that I couldn't ride because I didn't have a fancy pony just a run of the mill NF who was incredibly naughty! The way I over came it was to keep at it and try to find shows where I knew noone and where it would be quiet. Just think about the first fence and nothing else. The more you do it the easier it becomes even though you may have a few bad days along the way. I am also 26 and I do have times where I have bad day and think I can't do this (especially if I see one of those horrible parents or their kids) but you just have to ignore them and show them you are better than them. I know it is easier said than done but the more competitions you go to, the easier it will become - and if you can get away with not driving, the odd drink or 2 is always a good option! Very occationally, I take rescue remedy aswell. Not sure if it works or if it's just psychological but I cannot say it enough, you need just get out there and keep trying! Hope this helps in some small way! :)