How to perform simple Novice dressage movement?

Sal_E

Visit site
I thought I'd try my new Equitest dressage test cd thinggy today as I have to learn 2 Novice tests for next weekend. In Novice 25, you canter across the diagonal & change the leg over X through trot.

Previously, I've always changed the leg very quickly, i.e. just a stride or two of trot & then back to canter. However, the demo horse on the Equitest cd trots for a fair while (from X) & doesn't canter again until virtually at the end of the diagonal.

Can someone please tell me if I need to trot for longer?!

Thanks!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Have you ever had judges comment on amount of trot? If not carry on as you are
wink.gif

not_with_it

Visit site
I always just do a few strides of trot to change the bend then strike off into canter on the new lead. If the trot was unbalanced then I would probably do a few extra strides to balance it so that I got a better transition.

Sal_E

Visit site
No - never been commented on, but it does make sense to establish a good trot before striking off again; I probably do rush it a bit...

Thanks Guys!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No - never been commented on, but it does make sense to establish a good trot before striking off again; I probably do rush it a bit...

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I got marked down in a simple change, recently for not showing enough walk, mainly because i'd convinced myslef that I should come back to walk and quickly strike off again.

JLav

Visit site
The rule book says approx one horses length of walk for simple change. The walk steps must be clearly shown or the movement will be marked down.
The same applies to the change of leg through trot.

Sal_E

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Out of interest Jlav - how many trot strides do you think equates to a horse's length; it's not something I've ever considered before! Thanks!