How to pronounce "lorry."

GSD Woman

Visit site
I've read plenty of books that take place in the UK and know that lorry is the same as our truck or panel van but how do you pronounce it? Does it rhyme with sorry or sound more like lore E? Thanks.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've read plenty of books that take place in the UK and know that lorry is the same as our truck or panel van but how do you pronounce it? Does it rhyme with sorry or sound more like lore E? Thanks.

A panel van is still a panel van here. They aren't usually called a lorry until they get to 7.5 tons, HGV weight. Some smaller vehicles without panel sides are called trucks.

Depending on where you are in the country, lorry rhymes with sorry or slurry.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Lorry rhymes with sorry, and as ycbm points out, it's really only for vehicles over about 7500kg (16500lbs).

A panel van is like a ford transit. Truck is a bit of an odd work in the UK. Some people use it like in the US for a pick-up. When I was a kid, the term was never shortened, it was always a "pick-up truck". A pick-up chassis with a flat-bed back (quite a few milk-men used to have these where I grew up) was called a "wagon".

EventingMum

Visit site
Rhymes with sorry, pick ups are sometimes described as trucks but so are lorries. Lorries are also sometimes called wagons in horse circles. Trailers are usually called trailers or horseboxes - all confusing!