How to shore up the bank of a cut & fill manege? Ideas & experience appreciated.

catembi

Visit site
My arena was built on a slope so cut & fill, & the bank is probably about 5-6 ft. There is a post & rail fence a few feet in from the top of the bank. It was just left as bare earth which has now grown back to some extent with weeds, but we are on heavy clay & getting minor mud slides. I am not sure what to do to shore the whole thing up? It def does need shoring, because if it crumbles too much I will also lose the post & rail at the top.

I have heard membrane mentioned which is used on steep motorway verges - unsure if I could do this myself? Or do I need the big guns...although those wire boxes filled with stone would presumably be expensive & overkill? But we really are on serious clay & overkill tends not to be enough in the general scheme of things!

All suggestions & ballpark costs appreciated :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
Could you grass it?

We have some very steep banks, and keeping them mown and grassed holds everything together. Grass roots don’t just grow down like a lot of weeds, so they sort of create an underground blanket which is fab at holding everything solid.

We don’t let the horses graze the especially steep banks. They do too much damage to them.

catembi

Visit site
Yes, I could grass it. Too steep to mow, so it would be a job for the strimmer. I was just unsure whether that would be enough for our stupid soil...!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
How about grass with wild meadow flowers and just strim at the end of summer....bee friendly

cauda equina

Visit site
Or some shrubby things

eta I've also seen plastic mesh like the stuff they use for car parking on a steep bank, topped with gravel but I guess you could also plant things through the mesh

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
OH did an emergency repair to mine with stakes and 6inch x 2m boards until the grass grew. I'm not sure why you would strim it, I just let mine go wild.

ponios

Visit site
We are looking at doing a quite big cut and fill for an arena at home and have been recommended gabion baskets. Might be overkill in your case though

Cragrat

Visit site
OH did an emergency repair to mine with stakes and 6inch x 2m boards until the grass grew. I'm not sure why you would strim it, I just let mine go wild.
Strimming /mowing, especially when newly seeded, would encourage tillering. This would get a denser mat of roots and shoots established, and hold the soil more effectively.