How to slow pony down jumping

OliviasNan

Visit site
Pony is extremely speedy towards and away from jumps. have tried circles before jump and pulling up after jump, but her instinct is 1000 miles an hour and corners like a motorbike . This seems to be more apparent in large arenas, in our own small rubber no too bad at all. Currently in eggbutt snaffle and martingale. She's a 14.2 BWB previously evented in Belgium and is a sweetheart except for this. Any advice regarding bits or more training methods appreciated

SEL

Visit site
Does she leave the fences up?

Some of these very talented jumping ponies do seem to go at 100mph, but if she's unbalanced then working on the flat might be the answer away from the excitement of a course of jumps.

When I used to ride the really hot ones as a kid I found less contact rather than more tended to make them sort themselves out. If I pulled or had a stronger bit then they would just pull back harder. Trotting into fences on a loose contact tended to get their attention, although we did pop a standing martingale on the one that used to really chuck its head up on the approach - that only started to behave when it went up the levels with a better rider and had to slow down for bigger fences.

Skib

sites.google.com
I saw work on this problem at a clinic by Tik Maynard. I am not a jumper myself, so this is a layman's account.
There was a line of jumps up the arena. For most of the horses, the idea was to jump all the jumps in succession, without hesitation and reach a treat on an oil drum right at the end.

The approach to the first jump involved trotting over poles and then turning a right angle left to head down the row of jumps. The poles and the turn slowed and steadied most of the horses.
But to calm the fast pony down, the rider was told to trot it over the poes and round the corner with no canter and to approach the jump, staying in trot, as if the pony was gong to jump, but at the last minute to turn the pony sideways outside the jump and ride away staying in trot.
The pony quickly got used to approaching the jump in trot.
Finally the pony was allowed to jump the first jump still approaching in trot, take a stride or two of canter, jump and then canter away.

The problem with clinics is that spectators have no idea whether the lesson stuck

Snowfilly

Visit site
Check for pain and nerves, it can be a tension thing. And check the rider’s nerves, if they’re scared, they can be tensing up the pony without meaning too! Does she do it with all riders?

Get rider to loosen the contact and give with the reins, stop trying to slow them down so there’s nothing to fight against. I wouldn’t even bother with a stronger bit, it’s not going to solve the problems here.

Go right back to basics schooling on the flat, practice shortening the stride repeatedly for a few strides, ‘gridwork’ type exercises where the horse doesn’t know where the next fence is and throw in loads of turns.

For the next few months, if she gets into any jump offs, ride them as first rounds. No kicking on, no tight turns, nothing. Keep to a steady canter all the time so you’re not undoing your work.

It might be the fences are too small and she’s not paying any attention; if all else fails, jack a few fences right up and see if she slows down.

Unusual to find in an eventer! They’re normally a lot more sane than pure jumpers.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I saw work on this problem at a clinic by Tik Maynard. I am not a jumper myself, so this is a layman's account.
There was a line of jumps up the arena. For most of the horses, the idea was to jump all the jumps in succession, without hesitation and reach a treat on an oil drum right at the end.

The approach to the first jump involved trotting over poles and then turning a right angle left to head down the row of jumps. The poles and the turn slowed and steadied most of the horses.
But to calm the fast pony down, the rider was told to trot it over the poes and round the corner with no canter and to approach the jump, staying in trot, as if the pony was gong to jump, but at the last minute to turn the pony sideways outside the jump and ride away staying in trot.
The pony quickly got used to approaching the jump in trot.
Finally the pony was allowed to jump the first jump still approaching in trot, take a stride or two of canter, jump and then canter away.

The problem with clinics is that spectators have no idea whether the lesson stuck
Having had real problems with refusers and those that do a dirty run-out at the last minute, I’d be reluctant to pull a horse out at the last minute and potentially ‘teach’ that as an option. I don’t have all the answers though, but have found groundwork, cirling, poles and grids to help.

cauda equina

Visit site
I'm never a fan of this question. Really your instructor should be the one to answer the question as they can see what's going on.

Rushing fences is not always a keen pony. It can be a fearful pony or a pony who is hurting somewhere.
I totally agree with this
One of mine was diagnosed with coffin joint arthritis and the first sign that anything was amiss was rushing into and away from fences

OliviasNan

Visit site
Pony is extremely speedy towards and away from jumps. have tried circles before jump and pulling up after jump, but her instinct is 1000 miles an hour and corners like a motorbike . This seems to be more apparent in large arenas, in our own small rubber no too bad at all. Currently in eggbutt snaffle and martingale. She's a 14.2 BWB previously evented in Belgium and is a sweetheart except for this. Any advice regarding bits or more training methods appreciated
Does she leave the fences up?

Some of these very talented jumping ponies do seem to go at 100mph, but if she's unbalanced then working on the flat might be the answer away from the excitement of a course of jumps.

When I used to ride the really hot ones as a kid I found less contact rather than more tended to make them sort themselves out. If I pulled or had a stronger bit then they would just pull back harder. Trotting into fences on a loose contact tended to get their attention, although we did pop a standing martingale on the one that used to really chuck its head up on the approach - that only started to behave when it went up the levels with a better rider and had to slow down for bigger fences.
Exactly what you say thanks, unfortunately I have a grand-daughter who will not listen to me (Nan knows nothing ) she really hasn't ridden her very much at all the last 12 months due to GCSE's and teenage life, so I have been hacking and schooling her. Her coach packed up about a year ago, so really need to get another. I suppose post should have been how do I get grand-daughter to listen to me. Thank you for your time.

OliviasNan

Visit site
Check for pain and nerves, it can be a tension thing. And check the rider’s nerves, if they’re scared, they can be tensing up the pony without meaning too! Does she do it with all riders?

Get rider to loosen the contact and give with the reins, stop trying to slow them down so there’s nothing to fight against. I wouldn’t even bother with a stronger bit, it’s not going to solve the problems here.

Go right back to basics schooling on the flat, practice shortening the stride repeatedly for a few strides, ‘gridwork’ type exercises where the horse doesn’t know where the next fence is and throw in loads of turns.

For the next few months, if she gets into any jump offs, ride them as first rounds. No kicking on, no tight turns, nothing. Keep to a steady canter all the time so you’re not undoing your work.

It might be the fences are too small and she’s not paying any attention; if all else fails, jack a few fences right up and see if she slows down.

Unusual to find in an eventer! They’re normally a lot more sane than pure jumpers.
Pony is fine - but you've hit the nail on the head rider wise - we've had her 3 years and this seem to be a recent thing very probably because GD has not been riding her regularly and not jumping, GCSE's and teenage life. We need to invest in a new coach as her old one packed up about a year ago. Thank you for your reply.

littleshetland

Visit site
Leave some jumps up in the arena, and just do some flat work schooling around the jumps. It can certainly help get the pony to focus more on the aids and get rid of some of the excitement.

Abacus

Visit site
It's a totally reasonable question, making the assumption that pain isn't the cause and that the rider is on board and does her best with the approach you decide to take. With my own children (probably the same for grandchildren) I have found it's much harder to teach them myself than have an instructor. For lots of reasons (and I know it's not only my kids), they take instruction more calmly from an uninvolved professional than from me. Failing that, I would talk to her about it in a calm place when not with the pony or on board, and as she is definitely old enough, make her feel part of the process and understanding of what has to be done, rather than trying to get it right while the problem is occurring. With my older son I find that if I say something like 'perhaps try sitting up more' or 'open your hands into the fence' or whatever, at a quite random time (usually while driving) he takes it in and tries it for himself, much more reasonably than if I'm shouting at him while it's happening.

Agree with others that have said, while schooling, the pony needs to listen and not take charge. I have had some success with stopping a horse before the fence the moment it starts to take charge into it, until they learn not to do this, and wait for the rider. That might mean pulling to a halt or circling away but anything rather than let them jump. I think you need to react the moment they surge forward so that they associate their behaviour with your reaction. When they start to get that idea and slow on command, then let them trot into it. I wouldn't do it with one that wasn't a keen jumper.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Exactly what you say thanks, unfortunately I have a grand-daughter who will not listen to me (Nan knows nothing ) she really hasn't ridden her very much at all the last 12 months due to GCSE's and teenage life, so I have been hacking and schooling her. Her coach packed up about a year ago, so really need to get another. I suppose post should have been how do I get grand-daughter to listen to me. Thank you for your time.
My mum is a lifelong riding instructor and taught me to ride but packed me off elsewhere at 13 for jumping lessons for a couple of years as I wouldn’t listen to her. A change of teacher can really help - I went to an old school hunter / point to point producing yard and would rather have died than answer back, when I’d been mouthing off to my poor mum for a few months.

SEL

Visit site
My mum is a lifelong riding instructor and taught me to ride but packed me off elsewhere at 13 for jumping lessons for a couple of years as I wouldn’t listen to her. A change of teacher can really help - I went to an old school hunter / point to point producing yard and would rather have died than answer back, when I’d been mouthing off to my poor mum for a few months.
I don't think its just horses where this happens!!

My mum was a maths teacher and no way would I accept help with my homework from her - I'd rather fail the test.

It sounds like the pony is just one of those speedy types that in the right hands is an absolute superstar, but current combination are struggling. I had an electric bum as a teenager so know how high speed jumping feels.

I think a new instructor is your way forward OP because whatever you say to a teenager will be wrong - just because :cool:

blitznbobs

Visit site
Poles on the floor in a course and ride the ’course’ in walk… only when you can do this literally on a free rein advance to walking over slightly raised poles… perhaps just the first and last at first… then when you can walk over a raised pole course put the last to a small cross pole and walk all the course til the last fence and trot into that… continue slowly slowly til the pony gets the point…

Bellalily

Visit site
I’d be taking the bit out. It’s entirely possible that that is the pain he’s running away from, maybe yanked going over a fence but too terrified to stop. He sounds traumatised and that’s where I’d start and also completely stop the jumping and go back to polework. Forget he can jump and start again, bitless. 😊

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Just to add for future readers that if this is new behaviour rather than something a horse has always done since you bought it, that seeming very keen to get at the fences when jumping can often be the first sign of hock problems, not enthusiasm.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Just to add for future readers that if this is new behaviour rather than something a horse has always done since you bought it, that seeming very keen to get at the fences when jumping can often be the first sign of hock problems, not enthusiasm.

So often horses that run, are onward bound in all sorts of forms, have reduced ability to control the pelvis and use the HQs as brakes, and hock issues will be one possible cause of that. Horses aren't designed to brake with the front end, it leads to so much dysfunction.