HOW TO STOP A COB DIVING FOR GRASS ALL THE TIME

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
My tank of a cob is a bugger for wanting grass - he is well behaved when we ride out, but as soon as we stop his head goes right down for the grass and I often find myself having to roll down his neck to get off!! very inelegant...also if I stop and get off for any reason, there is no chance of me getting back on again as his head has disappeared between his legs!! usually when I want to get off I have to find a gate or a stable door to guide him to so he cant put his head down.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
One rein, when he dives pull it firmly but in a fluid motion so you aren't jabbing him in the mouth. Preferable catch him at the top of the motion just as he is thinking about it. I would put it with a bit of a growl from you so when he starts to get the idea you don't have to keep pulling the reins, the growl should be enough. I would also make absolutely sure you aren't allowing him to do it in hand, even if you stop for a chat with someone leading in/out of the field or the like.

As for the getting on thing I would actually put draw reins on go out with the specific intention of getting on and off a few times. Once you have instilled with the above that it's not allowed any more, then you can use the draw reins to reinforce that it isn't when mounting etc also, as he physically won't be able to get to the grass with them on - as long as he isn't the type to just start backing up as then you'll create another problem for yourself! Then you can have them loose for the rest of the ride.

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
One rein, when he dives pull it firmly but in a fluid motion so you aren't jabbing him in the mouth. Preferable catch him at the top of the motion just as he is thinking about it. I would put it with a bit of a growl from you so when he starts to get the idea you don't have to keep pulling the reins, the growl should be enough. I would also make absolutely sure you aren't allowing him to do it in hand, even if you stop for a chat with someone leading in/out of the field or the like.

As for the getting on thing I would actually put draw reins on go out with the specific intention of getting on and off a few times. Once you have instilled with the above that it's not allowed any more, then you can use the draw reins to reinforce that it isn't when mounting etc also, as he physically won't be able to get to the grass with them on - as long as he isn't the type to just start backing up as then you'll create another problem for yourself! Then you can have them loose for the rest of the ride.

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
Thank you - great advice and suggestions.... although he has been known to rear a few times when he doesn't get his own way so I might not want to make that his response...

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Put a grass rein on its simply a length of leather or rope that attaches to the bit and the ring on the front of your saddle, not too tight but enough to stop him getting his head on the floor.

I have never found a horse that hasn't been able to evade this, but then again we were mainly using bailing twine on round ponies whos saddles would move when we were kids, so maybe my experience is a little outdated :p

I would be cautious with the draw rein idea if he is prone to rearing, but pulling on one rein to block the diving of his head should be effective.