How to stop cow kicking when picking out hooves

newboult51

Visit site
As the question said, my horse tries to kick out repeatedly when I pick up his near hind. The way I’m dealing with it is by holding on for dear life until he stops kicking, so he’s not getting away with it but nor is he getting any better. Ideas anyone?

{108361}

Visit site
At what point does he kick out? Is he ok with you touching his leg etc? You're doing the right thing by not letting go. Maybe try lifting the leg for only a few seconds at first and keep doing it. Lift up then put back before he has a chance to kick out and just repeat endlessly.

newboult51

Visit site
He’s perfect with the farmer of course 😏 The point he kicks out is when I’ve actually lifted his hoof and have hold of it.

Carrottom

Visit site
I would ask the farrier to watch you picking his hoof up and see if he can give you advice. You are doing the right thing not letting go but you don't want to risk getting kicked.

mandyroberts

Visit site
If its just one leg, is he uncomfortable? My 5yr old got funny with one leg and it turned out he had an annular ligament issue on the other leg. That was operated on and he was fine picking all legs up very quickly. If he's perfect with the farrier he may be playing you up but I agree with Carrottom, show the farrier what happens and see what he says

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Agree with mandyroberts, must be something on the other leg... equally there could be joint issues on the leg you're lifting... all ok with stifles?

Carrottom

Visit site
How old is your horse OP, just remembering having a gangly 3 yo who struggled with one hind leg. I think he was better with the farrier who is a big chap the little me as he could rest a bit of weight on him to balance. As he strengthened he got better. For a few weeks I would get him to stand with that leg cocked (resting on the toe) to pick his hoof out.

MonkeyTheNF

Visit site
I agree with above and that he may be playing you up.But I find most horses have one leg which is their 'funny' leg but cow kicking is definitely not something you want him doing.Try asking the farrier if they could help at all OR if their is someone willing ask them if they could try picking it up.Then if he doesn't do this for them then he might just be playing up as I found with my youngster once he knew I was a bit weak in picking up his left back hoof he would try and do the same thing but a couple of tellings off did the trick! However my gelding is very placid and a bit of a "Oh I thought that was ok to do but if it isn't I won't do i.Please still give me treats I love you!" type horse. Also if he is struggling with balance let him lean on you slightly but not too much or you might get crushed! So it does depend on your horse and I would definitely ask your farrier.

newboult51

Visit site
Thank you for the replies. I think you are right he is trying it on. Only thing is how do I give him a good telling off at the same tone as hanging onto a kicking leg ?!

meleeka

Visit site
If it’s safe to do so it helps to put your leg behind his, a bit like this pic so that he can’t physically pull back and get you. This is what farriers do with tricky horses. Perhaps ask your farrier to show you.

Attachments

• D85AAD91-E38D-4B78-B8BA-7DB7C48C1D4F.jpeg
    D85AAD91-E38D-4B78-B8BA-7DB7C48C1D4F.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 42

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of mine will pull his hind leg back sometimes when you lift it, but I know his had a suspensory injury on that leg so I know it may feel stiff at times but he doesn't kick out.

Arzada

Visit site
Start by handling the leg more and when you do pick it up start with just a couple of inches and put it down before he starts to kick out and build up so he doesn't think it is going to be a battle.
Great advice. No need to hold the foot - just cradle it gently in your hand.

I can't worry about hanging on to a hind leg so a horse 'doesn't get away with it' - I haven't the inclination or the strength. Go as Gloi says and your horse will be more confident with your handling of this foot and before you know it he will hold it up for longer.

You've already found that hanging on to it hasn't resulted in improvement so it's hard to see what adding in 'a good telling off' (BTW what is this?) will bring to the party. Just chill and it the foot goes down, and there won't be any kicking because you are cradling the foot instead of holding on to win the battle, then just ask kindly for it to come up again. And repeat.

It's a big deal handing over your foot to someone - try it sometime and compare how you feel if someone hangs on to your foot or allows you to put it down and start again!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm a little confused, is this horse kicking forwards or back?
Only because I always associate cowkicking as kicking forwards but then you say he's trying to kick out repeatedly but if cow kicking your body would be in the way (as above) and close enough to stop that?

Follysmum

Visit site
I always use a walking stick handle (padded and wrapped in gaffa tape) it’s sort a great tool for any horse if your having any problems with picking up feet. I hook the foot and just hold it then release, it works wonders and saves you getting a good kick 😊

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
You could try picking the hind foot up but instead of pulling it towards the back end like normal, lift it slightly off the floor and lift it towards the head (but keeping it under the belly). This is how we started to train foals to accept having their feet lifted off the ground when I used to work on a stud, then it just progressed to picking them up the normal way. It allows them to feel more balanced on three legs and we just used to lift it for a couple of seconds and put it back down again.

mandyroberts

Visit site
Another thought as he is young - before you ask him to pick up his leg, make sure he is standing balanced in a way which make sit easy for him. ie is the other hind leg not too far out the back or too far forward? I discovered this makes life much easier. Older horse will move themselves to get in a good position, so we get lazy

Myloubylou

Visit site
My young mare was the same but good news with consistency is much improved! I always pick out in same sequence, near fore, near hind, off hind and off fore. She cow kicked with both hinds when I got her & was really funny about off fore, walking around and not picking up. For backs I run hand down quarters and back of leg and squeeze back of cannon to get her to pick up. Standing to side and facing her tail I cup hoof in hand and take it slightly back as if she’s going to kick takes some power out. If she starts I hold for couple of seconds and say ahh ahh to see if she’ll stop and if she does praise her & carry on. If she doesn’t I put it down but then pick up & put down 10 times in a row until she decides it’s just easier to let me do. Have no issues now with front feet. Funnily enough is angel for farrier so was definitely me not being firm but fair. My other Welsh picks up hoof you are standing by voice command!!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I saw someone take a horse to a Mark Rashid clinic with this problem. He put a rope with a loop on the end around the foot which was a lot safer. He said the horse had not learned to balance on that leg very well and using hands, asked the horse to lift it for a few seconds then released slowly building this up. He did not use the rope unless/until the horse started kicking and then he stood back and held the leg up until the horse stopped then immediately released and started again. The rope only came into play 2-3 times after which the horse was happy to lift and hold the leg up.

Antw23uk

Visit site
My mare can be a bit funny with her back legs when picking her feet up. She will lift up really high like she is stretching first and if i try to interfere with this it has, in the past, resulted in this cow kicking movement. I just lighting grip the hoof now and let her stretch up and then i 'ease' her foot down and out to the 'hoof picking position'. Not sure how this helps you but my mare isnt being naughty, she just needs to flex and get comfortable.