How to stop horse from chasing dogs?

corriehorse

Visit site
I have recently taken a 3yo gelding on loan. Within the first week Yard owner had been told by a regular walker of the footpath across the fields that he had chased her and her dog. Put it down to him being new and he seems very inquisitive and almost attention seeking. He loves a fuss, and to be taken notice of.

This morning I had a text from Yard owner saying we need to chat about him as he chased her daughter in law and her dog this morning, and was trying to strike the dog with his front feet. I am just on my way down to see yard owner now, but if I can't find a way of stopping him, he is going to have to be returned to his owner as I haven't got the time to travel to 2 yards every day to do 2 horses, and my old girl is happy and I don't want to have to move her.

Has anybody got experience of this sort of thing? Or any ideas on how to stop it. I haven't seen it myself, but from what I've seen of him interacting with my old mare, I would expect it to be playfulness instead of fear or aggression. I really want to find a way of solving this as I am very fond of him already, but there are a couple of footpaths over the grazing space, and obviously Yard owner and her family shouldn't have to restrict their use of their land because of somebody else's horse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Enfys

Visit site
Awkward :(

Some horses are naturally aggressive towards dogs, or indeed, anything smaller than them. I have a pair of mares, one will chase dogs to warn them off but goes no further when they turn away, the other means business, ears pinned, teeth bared and I have no doubt that she would aim to kill, neither did the fox she saw off the other day :(

When he chased the YO's daughter did she say he was actually aggressive ( as in ears pinned - "I intend to do damage if I catch you") or just playfully striking out? There is a difference, although to be on the receiving end, it doesn't actually make one. As you say, it has to be remedied before hoof meets hound and causes injury, or worse, especially where the public walk and not on your own land where you can control where dogs go. One well placed strike could easily kill a dog :(

The only way I have ever heard of this being thwarted is by using an electric collar (like a bark collar for dogs) but it takes time, and presumably puts the dog and handler in danger. I am sure others will have experiences or opinions. It used to be that dogs that showed a tendency to worry sheep were put in a pen with a ewe with lambs and she would put the fear of God (in sheep shape) into them, but I am not sure if you could use that method with dogs and horses.

Micropony

Visit site
My big boy used to get accused of "chasing" dog walkers on a public footpath that crossed his grazing. I never witnessed it myself, and would really struggle to believe he had any ill intent. However I can fully appreciate that with 17.1 of "traditionally built" warmblood bearing down on you in canter, you mightn't fancy hanging around to find out!

Moved him (not because of that) shortly afterwards to a yard with no public footpaths across the grazing, and no similar antics were ever reported to me.

He wasn't particularly happy at the first yard, which may have been a factor.

Not much help to you, I know. I think field behaviour is one of the most difficult things to address by any means other than changing the turnout arrangements (others may know better), and on this one it sounds as though the decision might ultimately be taken out of your hands.

It's a tricky one, I feel for you.

RoughcutDiamond

Visit site
My lad is fine with cats and dogs around the yard/stable block, even nuzzles them affectionately.... but woe betide one that wanders into the school or field whilst he's at liberty. I've witnessed first-hand his most out-of-character aggressive streak and it's not nice. In fact he thundered past me once whilst after a cat - when she ducked under the fence he threw out the hind end in what appeared to be anger, and put me on the deck since it happened so fast that I couldn't get out of the way in time. I have no doubt that he would stomp on anything with which he caught up :-/

stormox

Visit site
yes- many horses, especially colts or young geldings, will chase, strike and kill dogs that enter 'their territory'. Its better not to let dogs in the field with horses that do this, dogs just dont realise the danger and dont move out of the way.

chillipup

Visit site
Your gelding is worried by the walker's dog. In his eyes, it's a wolf! and he feels threatened. Fight or flight... he's chosen to fight! horses and cattle often display this behaviour towards dogs. Infact it's why so many dog walkers are injured by cattle on footpaths - they try to protect the dog by holding on to it. Whereas if they let the dog go, they would be safer and the dog can run away.

Although it's a public footpath through the field, all dogs should be kept on a lead whilst walking by livestock including horses. This should be clearly signed. Does your boy do this if the dogs are on or only when they are off lead?

I think you'll have to move your boy for the safety of all. I'm sure in time he can be desensitised towards dogs and stop perceiving them as a threat but that's going to take time..though it may end in tears sooner rather than later if you don't act fast and the last thing you need is some crazy dog actually attacking your youngster or your boy killing a dog.

chillipup

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Is he chasing dogs that are running loose in the field, or actually making a bee line for ones that re under control of the owner. If it is the former - they shouldn't be straying from the footpath. Can you section off the footpath with electric tape so that the walkers have a barrier? I did this with my dog killer - 1m55 fencing stopped him. Signs warning the dog owners stopped them letting the dogs loose in the the field.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I have always had a lot of dogs. My Highlands used to graze the dogs' exercise paddock with anything up to 25 dogs and both got completely used to each other to the point that the dogs would wandering in and out between the ponies' legs! (https://youtu.be/llLgWst3UlQ) That was achieved with dogs that were non-aggressive to horses and wise to their ways. The ponies would sometimes try to strike them, but the dogs simply dodged out of the way. After a while, they'd give up and just accept each other's company.

I now have two German shepherds who will occasionally try to nip a pony out of boredom or mischief and the ponies will chase them and try to strike them. Again, the dogs are just too quick and keep out of the way. Of course, if I catch them at it, they get reprimanded -- but it is a game both seem to enjoy!

The OP's problem is a difficult one. The gelding could become accustomed to dogs with regular exposure, but that will only work with dogs of the same general appearance. I had a rider here one day who insisted on bringing her elderly Labrador as she had seen how good my ponies were with the dogs. Different dog, different colour, and he got chased!

All I can suggest is taking the horse where it can see a lot of dogs and treating it every time a dog comes close. But I wouldn't be allowing that horse anywhere loose near dogs that weren't used to horses and weren't quick enough to get out of the way. If a horse-savvy dog (with owner) could be loaned, I'd just let the two get on with it. There is no way a horse could catch a dog that was aware of how horses behave and how they can react. That would be like trying to run a rabbit over with a motorcycle! The rabbit has only to make a six inch hop to escape!

Last edited:

Archangel

Visit site
I'm afraid that field just isn't suitable for a youngster that has to mingle with the general public and their dogs and is already being a pain in the neck. i just wouldn't risk it - how would you feel if a dog got injured. Sorry.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
If a horse-savvy dog (with owner) could be loaned, I'd just let the two get on with it. There is no way a horse could catch a dog that was aware of how horses behave and how they can react. That would be like trying to run a rabbit over with a motorcycle! The rabbit has only to make a six inch hop to escape!

It's really not worth it - my horse and dogs used to 'play' together. The dogs and horses had been brought up together and were friendly to each other. This didn't stop my sec D chasing my lurcher, catching him and stomping on his head. He was out sparko and was convulsing and I had to carry a 32kg dog across 2 fields to get him to the car and the vet. Never again will I have dogs and horses loose together :(

unicornystar

starbug02.wix.com
sadly you wont stop it. I have two minis who are "mates" with our dogs. One older one who doesn't care about dogs and my 16.3hh thinks it is hilarious to chase them.......you won't be able to stop this behaviour sadly!!

Speedyfluff

Visit site
I would never let any dog loose in a field with horses in. I wouldn't trust any horse at liberty with dogs. Your youngster is not acting in any way out of the ordinary. Surely the yard has more than one field or do they all have a footpath running through? Can't your youngster be moved to a paddock away from the path? Or can't you fence him off with electric fencing? Personally, if I was a yard owner with a path running through my grazing I would fence it off. It's only a matter of time before a dog or walker gets injured, and the YO would be liable.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would never let any dog loose in a field with horses in. I wouldn't trust any horse at liberty with dogs. Your youngster is not acting in any way out of the ordinary. Surely the yard has more than one field or do they all have a footpath running through? Can't your youngster be moved to a paddock away from the path? Or can't you fence him off with electric fencing? Personally, if I was a yard owner with a path running through my grazing I would fence it off. It's only a matter of time before a dog or walker gets injured, and the YO would be liable.

I agree with this any horse can turn at any time and chase a dog at the end of the day horses can sometimes see them as a threat, I never let my dog run in the field with my own horses and would never let her near strange ones loose, it's also a danger if horses are running around the field and dogs are loose as they can get trampled a friend of mine lost her dog this way it's not the horses fault.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
rather a horse that chases dogs than one who is chased by them. My old horse lost patience with loose dogs on livery yards (not mine) and couldnt be trusted to not go for them with teeth and front legs. Youngster needs to be moved from fields with footpaths in it unfortunately.

Nik90

Visit site
I don't have anything helpful to offer other than it seems best if you move your horse to another field. My gelding chases dogs, ears pinned back while trying to bite or stomp on them when in his field. He is particularly bad with my own dogs who when they're with me he will still go for them, but they're never at the yard for this reason. I can't teach him to ignore a potential predator & given that he's been chased by aggressive dogs before and had his legs knock from under him by dogs, I doubt I'll ever fix it. It just means that when viewing new yards I have to be upfront and honest about it and accept that they may not want him there. I also warn any new liveries about it. I've never had an issue but I have had to grab some over friendly dogs when leading him about the yard. All that said, he has mellowed a good deal towards them with age. Cows can often get the same treatment as dogs.

jrp204

Visit site
"Although it's a public footpath through the field, all dogs should be kept on a lead whilst walking by livestock including horses. This should be clearly signed"

Unfortunately it is not a legal requirement, dogs should be under 'close control'.

smja

Visit site
"Although it's a public footpath through the field, all dogs should be kept on a lead whilst walking by livestock including horses. This should be clearly signed"

Unfortunately it is not a legal requirement, dogs should be under 'close control'.

Though then you run the risk of a walker being seriously injured, if OP's gelding goes for it?

OP, fencing off the footpath and warning walkers or moving the gelding are your only options to avoid injury sooner or later.

Amicus

Visit site
My Welshie will chase dogs that come into his space and is always on the alert if he sees anything collie/gsd like and I wouldn't trust him not to nip or even roll a dog given the opportunity. I think some horses naturally consider them a threat or a source of entertainment and I can't see anyway of you teaching him not to when you can't control the situation at all.

Makemineacob

Visit site
My wee chap would attempt to kill anything that came into his field, be it the cats, chickens, wild birds! He was gelded early but the only thing that stopped him doing this was introduction into a herd and once he "found" his place in the herd (near the bottom!), he stopped completely and freely allowed anything to wander in the field, even right past him!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I think they do grow out of it sometimes, our certainly do. I don't walk my dog across the field with me with all our horses in as I know they'd want to have fun and games with him (he would too lol) In fact I'd rather he was loose as the time I have walked him across with me, all it ends up is with me trying to chase 3 horses away with a whip, whilst trying to hang onto a dog!

Our mule does seem to want to vaguely play with my large dog though, and my dog does do all the playful puppy things with him, but if it goes on for longer than 10 seconds or so it can get a bit more serious (although the dog is having a whale of a time!) The mule is VERY aggressive to unknown dogs though! He's just a bit weird all round really :D

corriehorse

Visit site
Thank you to everybody who took the time to reply.
I contacted his owner about the behaviour he displayed, and she said she had never known him do it, and she has 5 of her own dogs and he had spent 6 months in a field with a footpath and never had reports of behaviour.
I do wonder if he is either "stamping" his authority on the field as my old mare who he is in with is quite happy to go along with everything for a peaceful life, or playing because she wont, and they are the only 2 horses at the yard.
After discussion with my yard owner, I have been asked to move him, which I totally understand and agree with, but as I can not look after 2 horses at 2 different yards, and I have no need or intention to move my horse, I have agreed with the owner to return him to her.

chillipup

Visit site

Thanks jrp didn't know that, so I'm thinking it bl**dy well should!!! Still it wouldn't harm to put up a sign stating that all dogs must be on lead.... I think the majority of dog walkers would abide, of course it only takes the one that doesn't :(

jrp204

Visit site
Thanks jrp didn't know that, so I'm thinking it bl**dy well should!!! Still it wouldn't harm to put up a sign stating that all dogs must be on lead.... I think the majority of dog walkers would abide, of course it only takes the one that doesn't :(

It should be a legal requirement that dogs are on a lead on a footpath. I seriously doubt there are many dogs that could be kept 'under close control' in a field of animals.

LHIS

Visit site
I wouldn't risk it to be honest, for both the horses and the dogs and dog walkers sake. It would be awful if something happened.
my pony is turned out in a herd of 5, mixed, and one of the mares is too inquisitive for my liking and tries to strike my little dog, who does her very best to stay out of her way. She's been around dogs all her life, but just had an attitude towards them and I don't think she'll ever change (she's 9). Unfortunately some horses just aren't dog-fans.

EQUIDAE

Visit site

It should be a legal requirement that dogs are on a lead on a footpath. I seriously doubt there are many dogs that could be kept 'under close control' in a field of animals.

The law actually changed in April (an association with the DDA) and dogs must be on a lead of no more than 2m on foot paths in fields containing livestock. There is some debate as to whether horses are classed as livestock or not but even so the law favours the horse owner rather than the dog owner.

Regardless of this law, any dog that strays from the footpath is trespassing anyway so the yard owner would not be liable. The only animals that are prohibited from being kept in a field containing a footpath are stallions and dairy Bulls.

Please don't rely on Google (the mirror got it wrong as usual too) - there is a lot of misinformation out there. I sought legal advice as I had this issue and no other field to move my horses to. The BHS legal team are fab

Spudlet

Visit site

We've had a horse charge at us in the field when our dog was on the lead and under close control (not looking at the horses, not pulling, not excitable) - I was not amused. If I'd seen the owner of the horse, I would have said something.

Fortunately it wasn't totally in earnest so I was able to use my body language to send it away but not everyone knows how to do that - and let's face it, that's hardly foolproof on a strange horse anyway. If I hadn't turned it back, i suspect my less horsey OH might well have been hurt.

I think your best bet - and the most responsible thing to do - would be to move the horse to a field without a footpath.