How to stop horse from eating straw bedding?

talie2rose

Visit site
As the title really, have already tried mixing it in with dirty straw but all the clean straw is still all gone by the morning. Didnt seem to have a problem last year so must be tasty straw this year :D

talie2rose

Visit site
yeah thats what i was thinking but not sure what is safe in case she does still eat it, mum says they used jays fluid but that was about 20 years ago

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I found the best way was to mix some wet straw (not much at all) in with the good - horses won't eat their own mess ! It worked really quickly, and was permanent.

I thought about the spraying, but it would involve him breathing in stuff, and I just kept it natural.

I hope that helps, sm x

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
the other alternative is something called Yuckbed (or similar!) - that was my next port of call. It was about £5 a bottle.

My other suggestion is to use an animal friendly disinfectant like Zoflora, diluted down and sprayed onto the bed. Or even dettol (urgh)

peeps did suggest to me sprinkling curry powder down and stuff, but if they lie on it, I was worried it would cause a skin reaction or sneezing attacks.

Last edited:

3DE

Visit site
Does the horse actually eat his/her hay? If they are eating the hay then moving onto the bed it could be because they are hungry...

I used to have the same problem as you. I would put in two nets when I left the yard at 8ish and come the morning all of it would be gone, plus his bed!

When I moved to a house with land and now keep them at home, within the first week I found that the 2 nets put in at 8pm would be gone before midnight! Basically my poor horse had been stood without food for over 6 hours - no wonder he ate his bed!

I now feed 2 large nets of hay mixed with straw (to allow me to feed more), double netted, plus an armful on the floor and he now leaves his bed alone.

Instead of thinking about how to stop him doing it, ask yourself why he is doing it. The chances are the answer is that he is still hungry!

Alternatively if he is leaving his hay and eating the bed its probably unpalatable hay....

tontoandtigger

Visit site
my gelding is terrible at eating his straw. he will eat all his hay first and then turn round and start on his straw. i give him loads of hay but he will still eat the straw and he doesnt care whats on it !!!!:eek: i have given up and gone back to shavings with him. i am gutted as was trying to keep costs down abit this winter but i cant have him start coughing again.
one of my mares will also eat her hay and feed and then also turn and start on her bed and she will eat the lot so we can never put her on straw as she would give herself colic.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Does the horse actually eat his/her hay? If they are eating the hay then moving onto the bed it could be because they are hungry...

I used to have the same problem as you. I would put in two nets when I left the yard at 8ish and come the morning all of it would be gone, plus his bed!

When I moved to a house with land and now keep them at home, within the first week I found that the 2 nets put in at 8pm would be gone before midnight! Basically my poor horse had been stood without food for over 6 hours - no wonder he ate his bed!

I now feed 2 large nets of hay mixed with straw (to allow me to feed more), double netted, plus an armful on the floor and he now leaves his bed alone.

Instead of thinking about how to stop him doing it, ask yourself why he is doing it. The chances are the answer is that he is still hungry!

Alternatively if he is leaving his hay and eating the bed its probably unpalatable hay....

This.

If a horse is getting enough other palatable forage it won't eat wheat straw. Could it be that your straw this year is either oat or barley, both of which are more palatable to horses?

Doncella

Visit site
I'm not bothered about mine eating his straw as it is fantastic quality, he is on rubber matting and the yards' home made haylege is far too rich so I have to mix it anyway.
Can't win.

talie2rose

Visit site
I did start giving extra hay too as i thought she could be getting hungry, AND I have also been catching her wee in a bucket and put in a spray bottle and squirted her bed with it. Seems to be working so far :) x

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
i still use the jays fluid, mixed in with water spray, turn bed over and spray again then leave to settle, it does stop them everytiime.