How to stop horse scratching on fence?

Pidge

Visit site
Ok so I know obvious answer is electric tape but in our field we have 2 manhole covers that are post and railed off so horses can't get on them. Sunny (sister's horse) likes to itch on these but is destroying his rugs
frown.gif
So any recommendations to stop this and if electric tape is the only solution any recommendations on ticker units etc?

dwi

Visit site
I'm afraid I can only think of electric tape. Could you wire it up to the mains to give it a real zap?

I got my electric fencing kit from paddock perfection on ebay, excellent value and very helpful, thoroughly recommend them

saskia295

Visit site
Initially, I'd only thought of electric tape BUT then I thought if it's possible for you to put a rubber mat over the manholes? And you could fix them down with tent poles or similar (hammered completely doen so nothing could get caught). Then again, this could be a bit dangerous as would still be slippy when icey... Actually, scrap it, sorry. Bad idea..

(Can you tell I just started typing without thinking it through?!!). Sorry!

sherbet

Visit site
I put holly around my horses stable as he is a real "itcher" helped as he was scared to go near it. Then it died and we where back at square one.

What about hanging ballons, cds - to catch the sun and sparkle, empty bottles of the rails to keep horses away rather than trying to stop the itch if that makes sense

Good luck

DuckToller

Visit site
Hadn't thought of that! Don't want to use anything with thorns in case they break off, thought of holly because it is pointy but not thorny, but might just give him extra excuse to rub. Worth a try?

loobiloo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I got my electric fencing kit from paddock perfection on ebay,

[/ QUOTE ]

same here - they're really good value and deliver really quick