How to stop "lady bits" getting sore when riding

Haywain

Visit site
Anyone have any ideas of how to stop my "lady bits" getting sore when I ride? I have a new horse who came with a really nice Barnsby saddle. On the surface it's comfortable, but if I ride on it for more than one day in a row I do get very sore. Has anyone else had this? and what did you do about it? Any ideas welcome.

redapple

Visit site
Padded cycle shorts? I haven't had this problem but I guess that some padding might help. Maybe a gel seat saver could work too?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It sounds as if the saddle is tipping you forward. I would get a saddler out to see if it can be altered to fit you as well as the horse (if indeed it does fit the horse)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have this problem with wintecs, I don’t often find my seat saver helps as it increases the friction (as would any padding). I’d get a saddle fitter out to look at you and the saddle (it can sometimes be the balance point it puts you in too) and in the meantime trial some chamois cream as that’s can sometimes help (I use the pace line her one for cycling and sometimes for riding).

Annagain

Visit site
Vaseline for prevention, sudocreme for treatment. Not that I've experienced this particular issue, it's just my general solution to any chafing issue (human or horse).

JulesRules

Visit site
I'm another one who says get saddle checked.
My old riding instructor used to say sit on your "back bum and not on your "front bum" !!

A friend used to suffer with this so I got her big padded riong pants in Secret Santa.

Louby

Visit site
Im suffering a bit at the moment. My short coupled young mare is in a 17 inch but with it being a dressage saddle it has a deep seat and I think I need a bit more room. Saddler is booked and Im on a diet lol. I dont think it has helped that I hadnt rode for 12 mths prior to her being backed, so my bits :) werent used to it. My eyes watered in the shower after our first proper ride!!

rosiesowner

Visit site
I think it can come down to underwear too... I've been off due to injury all summer and got back on again recently. The other day I did 20 mins trot without stirrups. I stupidly did not consider my underwear choices... REGRET!

Micky

Visit site
I was always told it was your position wasn’t correct in the saddle, having a tipping forwards or backwards saddle won’t help though! Also having a prune to shorten the hairs def helps (think long equals pulling.ouch!) as well as the material of the undergarments

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had this problem after riding in someone else's saddle as mine had been stolen , i only rode in it twice and regretted it. when i got a new saddle i was still sore so bought a seat saver and was only going to use it while my bits were recovering. its so comfortable to ride in i kept it on my saddle as it hadnt been broken in, and am still riding on it 18 months later....it wasn't a cheap one as it is real sheepskin but worth every penny..

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ladies, ladies.... why are sitting on your delicate flowers? I was always told to “get your bits off the saddle” in order to have an independent seat but if your saddle is too small or your stirrups are not the right length then I can just imagine how difficult and painful this may be...

I urge you to have a look at Mary Wanless as she does like to go on about this issue and she explains things ever so well. If you have difficulty getting your flower off the saddle, you are either riding wrong (which I doubt) or your seat/leg/saddle/stirrup arrangement needs rearranging :)

Griffin

Visit site
I had to buy a new saddle (horse came with a very expensive saddle which actually made me bleed), saddle fitter came out and decided the saddle didn't fit either of us.

I would also look at your underwear, big knickers are far more comfortable.

madmav

Visit site
I once made the mistake of riding in a thong. Very uncomfortable. Big knickers from Asda for me. Just generally in life. They’re so comfy. Saddlers sell padded knickers that I assume endurance riders like. Also agree, the saddle could be the problem.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Ladies, ladies.... why are sitting on your delicate flowers? I was always told to “get your bits off the saddle” in order to have an independent seat but if your saddle is too small or your stirrups are not the right length then I can just imagine how difficult and painful this may be...

I urge you to have a look at Mary Wanless as she does like to go on about this issue and she explains things ever so well. If you have difficulty getting your flower off the saddle, you are either riding wrong (which I doubt) or your seat/leg/saddle/stirrup arrangement needs rearranging :)

Agree with this. In the meantime Lanacane is good. I used it on a 6 day Icelandic trek along with padded underwear.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Am I the only one never to have experienced this issue? I must have tough girly bits or something

i had never suffered either and had been riding for over 50 years and doing 4 hour hacks, the saddle i borrowed was a jumping saddle and had a cut back head and there didnt seem to be enough room for me to be comfortable. the owner of the saddle is very thin and i am fatter than her but not overweight.
if my saddle hadnt been stolen i wouldnt have been posting either....

Jo1987

Visit site
I’ve never had this problem after 20 years of riding on lots of different saddles but I have 2 friends at the yard who seem to suffer in any saddle!
Has anyone tried the new acavallo seat savers with a cut out for your ‘bits’?

chaps89

Visit site
Thankyou OP for being brave enough to post this
I intermittently suffer with this- it's worse in my share horses saddle which I have to admit I don't overly like but not my horse! I tend to find with my own saddle it's usually because I'm sitting wrong so have to do some shuffling but I've no idea why the vast majority of the time I sit ok and don't get sore but in ocasion I do :eek:

Bojingles

Visit site
Well, in an ideal world our saddles and positions would be such that our Lady Elisabeths would never need to come into contact with leather. But in the real world, vaseline, liberally applied. Blessed relief. Works for the bottom as well and I've yet to find a saddle or a position that can prevent any and all bodily contact with the saddle ;)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I’m not surprised not everyone has an issue, it rather depends on your anatomy :p.

Re trimming I tend to opt for the cyclists option of better left as reduces some friction issues ;)

tankgirl1

Visit site
I have never had this problem, but reading this thread suggests I should have given my anatomy! Get down Marks and Sparks and get some proper big knickers!