How to stop "lady bits" getting sore when riding

SEL

Visit site
I did a weekend trip riding with my friend many years ago and after day 1 she begged me to swap horses with her. She had a gorgeous Welsh D so I was a bit surprised, until an hour into the ride. That saddle! Took me a week to recover.

I'd get saddle checked. My new one isn't great and needs adjusting once we have all 4 legs working again because I feel like I'm sitting on the pommel.

webble

Visit site
Ladies, ladies.... why are sitting on your delicate flowers? I was always told to “get your bits off the saddle” in order to have an independent seat but if your saddle is too small or your stirrups are not the right length then I can just imagine how difficult and painful this may be...

I urge you to have a look at Mary Wanless as she does like to go on about this issue and she explains things ever so well. If you have difficulty getting your flower off the saddle, you are either riding wrong (which I doubt) or your seat/leg/saddle/stirrup arrangement needs rearranging :)

I think it also depends a bit on the anatomy of your labia

Haywain

Visit site
Well, thanks everyone, as well as giving me a really good laugh.

Ive never had the problem before, and used to do long distance rides with my old horse (now retired). I trust the people I got new boy off to have had the saddle fitted properly. They told me they had and I believe them. However, reading all you've said, I think I've found my error. I bought him off a lightweight teenager. I am older and bigger in the beam. I bet the saddle is probably about a 16/16.5, and I really need a 17/17.5. So, bound to be pushing me forward. So, after that lightbulb moment, saddle fitter it is. :) Thank you very much all.

FFAQ

Visit site
I have this problem because I suffer from lichen sclerosis. For me the answer has been to switch to side saddle. I found the wintec dressage saddle to be the worst one for setting me off. It's really unfortunate as I have 2 cobs and a shire and finding side saddles to fit is a nightmare!

Batgirl

Visit site
Never had this problem however a recommendation from my cycling hobby, Booty Balm! Heavenly stuff, smells great, lasts ages (it is the consistency of lip balm so you can use sparingly, it spreads and warms as you use it). Also Udderly Smooth Chamois cream is a bit more 'creamy' if you prefer a slap it on type product!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I urge you to have a look at Mary Wanless as she does like to go on about this issue and she explains things ever so well. If you have difficulty getting your flower off the saddle, you are either riding wrong (which I doubt) or your seat/leg/saddle/stirrup arrangement needs rearranging :)

I think it depends on what type of learner you are, I've listened to her teach before and she might as well have been talking gobbledy gook, in fact I think she was.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well, thanks everyone, as well as giving me a really good laugh.

Ive never had the problem before, and used to do long distance rides with my old horse (now retired). I trust the people I got new boy off to have had the saddle fitted properly. They told me they had and I believe them. However, reading all you've said, I think I've found my error. I bought him off a lightweight teenager. I am older and bigger in the beam. I bet the saddle is probably about a 16/16.5, and I really need a 17/17.5. So, bound to be pushing me forward. So, after that lightbulb moment, saddle fitter it is. :) Thank you very much all.

Yes it may well fit the Pony, all the ones I’ve had issue with have fitted the horses they were on but it didnt mean they were suitable for me. Hope you can get it sorted.

oldie48

Visit site
Many post menapausal women have significant thinning of the skin, women who have had children frequently have a pelvis with an anterior tilt which will put them more on the fork and with bigger moving horses there is likely to be more friction than with smaller moving ones, so there are reasons why someone who has never had this problem before might find they develop it and there's no doubt that a saddle which is not sitting correctly can also cause it. There are oestrogen pessaries which can help with thinning skin, exercises that can help with an anterior tilt of the pelvis and if you are sitting on your fork, franklin balls can help enormously.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I never had this problem UNTIL I read Mary Wanless. My chair seat was very comfy!! But I am trhing to to sit on my seat bones instead of my well padded backside and - well let's say the comfy pants and chamois cream are key part of my riding kit!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
very true, yes we are all different and different again when you’ve popped out a small skull or two!

Good luck to everyone finding the right combo that works be that saddle, pads or sitting differently. I’m pretty sure it’s not supposed to hurt or else there wouldn’t be so many of us up in the saddle! :D

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I never had this problem UNTIL I read Mary Wanless. My chair seat was very comfy!! But I am trhing to to sit on my seat bones instead of my well padded backside and - well let's say the comfy pants and chamois cream are key part of my riding kit!

Could you be overcompensating now and maybe tipping forwards slightly?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Could you be overcompensating now and maybe tipping forwards slightly?

^^^ this.

I had a 1-1 lesson with Mary, which was fantastic, but she had me 'feeling for a feel' when riding. On the lesson this did give me the desired improvement, but then I went home... At home I had no mirrors, and still kept 'feeling for the feel' and unbeknownst to me changing my position just a little every day.

A few months later I went to a dressage comp, and saw the photos online. Whattttt? I had always had a good position, needed just a little correction, but that little correction had been amplified and I was, by then, tipping forwards.

Thinking about it, if you are sitting on your seat bones, your lady bits should not be sore.

Haywain

Visit site
Update: He did need a different saddle, and Halleluya, my old horse's Ideal Deal fitted him a treat. The saddle fitter didn't even need to reflock it. It also fits me a treat as well. :cool: Problem solved. I did think I might invest in one of those Acavallo seat savers too, to be on the safe side.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Me neither. I?m quite amazed how many people have this problem!
Not something I've ever suffered from either but it did seem obvious to me what must be happening. Although it is over 50 yrs ago that I first learned to ride, I was taught in such a way that when I read Mary Wanless, what she said made perfect sense. I do see quite a lot of riders in very odd/awkward positions, either in a chair seat, or tipping forwards. I have also noticed that many saddles have stirrup bars in the wrong place for the rider to be able to sit well.

OP, I'm glad you've found an answer to your problem - and even better that you didn't need to buy a new saddle;)

nikkimariet

Visit site
Vaseline creates heat so not something you want to use there! If you must, something with lanolin in as stop the skin drying.

Saddle doesn't suit you and potentially doesn't fit and is moving.