How to stop my horse digging through my lorry floor!!!!!

MHSporthorses

Visit site
I have one horse who is a real attention seeker!! when left on the lorry he will dig and dig continuously! He does improve slightly throughout the season but at the beginning of the year is a nightmare! he digs when left alone mostly and will do it even if he has travelled alone, problem is he has got to stop as he is starting to bring the mats up and Im concerned for safety of him and my lory!!
I have been wondering about hobbles when standing alone but I have never ever used these and so would like a great deal of information if it is a possible option!
He will stand on in company without fuss and if you go in to him he will stop..... there are no signs that makes me think he is fearful as if i leave him a bucket feed he will eat it and then dig when finished! also he always has a full net to stand with!
please help as he is really driving me insane and i don't have the option of always travelling him alone and holding him off the box all the time!
thank you in advance!

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
NMT's fig travells hobbled behind and remains hobbled until we are ready to bandage up/tack up.....because otherwise he kicks and kicks and previously has gone through the back wall, and window, in to the cab!

for one scraping the mats up i would hobble in front and be done with it! as long as the middle bit is long enough that they can spread their legs to balance you should be fine :)

vic07

Visit site
We have some conveyor belt (really thick heavy rubber) which we put any the 'naughty' feet where they paw. Helps protect the rubber flooring.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
But you'd only use the hobble when stationary surely, to be clear? It would be so dangerous travelling.
How does the conveyor belt rubber work?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Last edited:

vic07

Visit site
Conveyor belt just sits under there feet and stops them damaging the actual floor of your lorry. We also use it under there feet when they are wearing studs.

quizzie

Visit site
Have you thought about trying a mirror, given that he is fine with company.

I used to use one with one of mine....definitely helped.

Would advise that you use a stainless steel one, to avoid any risks of breakage.

MHSporthorses

Visit site
Thank you for the responses.
He digs a lot..... even in the stable where he has talk grills to the others if you are around on the yard!! he really is an attention seeker!!
the mirror sounds like a good idea..... may have to find one.
I would only ned to hobble once I have arrived at destination as he doesn't do it on the move at all, only when stationary.

MHSporthorses

Visit site
I am going to do both hobbles and mirror!
Im going to buy a pair and start putting them on in the stable and see he doesn't panic when he realises his legs are attached!!
does anyone have any advice at how best to introduce them and get the horse to accept them without going psycho!!???

montanna

Visit site
Have had them on multiple horses in the past and never had any go mad in them? A bit miffed/confused at first but they soon give up trying when they realise they can't move their legs much further than a couple of inches!

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Bringing up a slightly older thread but considering hobbles in the lorry on my new one. Not travelling, just on board. He is keen on striking out hard and high with forelimbs. Is it best to try them in a stable first, or just in the lorry? I'd worry he would try to move and fall over in the stable!

Tnavas

Visit site
My old boss had some lengths of chain and leather dog collars, slip a length of chain onto the collar and fit above the knee. When they paw it hits their legs and puts them off.

He did the same to the ones that kicked in the truck.

stilltrying

Visit site
Another one to give a thumbs up to hobbles. I tried the mirror thing, this seemed to make things worse as he could watch himself being a tit, great fun! I only had to hobble him for a few journeys before it broke the cycle, for about the next year i took them with me but never needed them after that.

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Another one to give a thumbs up to hobbles. I tried the mirror thing, this seemed to make things worse as he could watch himself being a tit, great fun! I only had to hobble him for a few journeys before it broke the cycle, for about the next year i took them with me but never needed them after that.

Yes I'm hoping it will just need to happen a few times before he learns to be a good boy.

Thanks.

MHSporthorses

Visit site
well, the hobbles have improved the situation slightly, but horse still digging as much as he can manage and now started booting out with his back feet in temper! he really is a sod!!! I'm hoping after a while the temper tantrums will stop once he realises no good comes of them........ or am i crediting him with too many brain cells!