how to strengthen the canter

Moon Dancer

Visit site
I was wondering if there were any exercises or any particular activities I coukd do with my horse to improve his canter. His canter on the left rein is good and balanced, the right rein however isnt so great, he holds himself in an outline but it is not as balanced. He is able to do flying changes from right canter to left but when we try to change from right to left he only changes infront and not behind. What kind of things can I do to improve the canter on the right rein? Is it just a case of transitions and keep working on it? Or are there more specific exercises I can do?

Thanks in advance

PolarSkye

Visit site
Lots of transitions within the pace, canter poles, if you jump then grid work and bounces can help the canter too. Sounds like he has some stiffness or weakness behind somewhere, so anything you can do to loosen/strengthen and supple that area will help. How is he with lateral work - encouraging him to step under with the weaker hind leg might also help.

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly who is far more knowledgeable than I . . . but in the meantiime, this is what came immediately to mind.

Good luck.

P

littleshetland

Visit site
As above really - open the canter up for a few strides and then collect it back - forwards and back, forwards and back. When you feel his hind legs are underneath him a bit more, then hit a rhythm . Lateral work will also help.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
If young do not push him, I prefer to have lots of long easy canters on a slight incline, this strengthens and relaxes both horse and rider. Obviously you have to set it up to get going on correct lead.
Steady trotting up a slope will also allow build up of muscles evenly, always change diagonals every 100m and don't always set of on same one when out hacking.
If things not improving after 6 weeks get physio.
Are you having lessons with an instructor, she may guide you as to general progress and give you exercises to try.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would want a ACPAT physio to have assessed the horse and see if they can find physically why this happens .
Then have a very good trainer look at you as rider crookedness makes it difficult for a horse to change .
Then work on the lateral straight ness using the lateral work .
And the use adjusting the length of stride in canter to increase balance control an strength .

Moon Dancer

Visit site
He is 9 so not young but is quite low mileage, having a year off from a knee injury and practically a year off due to me having other time commitments, he was broken at 4. I have got an instructor yes and I do have some issues with not sitting straight.
He is a Welsh sec d and is very prone to pulling himself along with the front end I have worked very hard to get him to use his back end and its only really the last year that it has finally clicked with him. I am having the saddle fitter out as found when I clipped him there was a small patch of white hair but on one side only so am thinking this could all be linked whether Its me sitting wonky or uneven flocking in the saddle.
Thank you for your reply.

saddlesore

Visit site
Can you ride him bareback or in a bareback pad ? If he is freer like that then the saddle is probably blocking him. Otherwise all horses are one sided and straightness will come with better core strength and flexibility. Gymnastic pole work and lateral work at trot will do much to strengthen the canter. Pessoa work at trot with spirals ensuring the hind leg is always stepping right under will help too, especially over a pole raised to the inside. IMO most initial work to improve the canter can be done at trot.