How to treat a flea infestation?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Life has been a bit testing for someone close to me, and someone else, also close, is trying in her own sweet way to sort it out, only now there's cat fleas to be dealing with. Ho hum. A friend is scaring the bejeezubs out of them saying the council will have to fumigate and they'll have to move out for a couple of nights. That's difficult for all sorts of reasons including she's recovering from a broken hip and has mental health issues.

Anyhoo, anyone know the best, easiest, and least stressful way of dealing with a flea infestation? The cat is still there and won't be going anywhere.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Petsmart sell fumigation cones and they can be successful, but I just found spraying every day for 3 weeks was best. I walked the carpet in bare feet and any day that any jumped onto my feet (they are heat seekers) the carpet got sprayed. The cats were spot on treated as frequently as it said on the packet.

ETA it was a really bad infestation, too, two flea ridden kittens brought them in, hot weather hatched them in droves in 3 rooms of the house.

Roxylola

Visit site
You can get indorex on amazon. That's always worked well for me. I don't often even do the animals, just the house.
Then hoover hoover hoover, empty the bag in the outside bin every time, in fact, if it's a bag I'd change it every time not just empty

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Indeed! I can only find the USA version of Petsmart. Is that the right one?

And, I can't see 'fumigation cone' on their site. It's not coming up on a search.

Sorry, it's now called Pets at Home in the UK. And the product now seems to be an aerosol "room fogger".

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
You can get indorex on amazon. That's always worked well for me. I don't often even do the animals, just the house.
Then hoover hoover hoover, empty the bag in the outside bin every time, in fact, if it's a bag I'd change it every time not just empty

Yes, Hoover bag should be taken out of the Hoover outside the house, sealed in a bin bag and put in the wheelie bin. We've just done one where I work.

conniegirl

Visit site
Our dogs picked some up recently and having a young baby in the house has ruled out foggers and sprays etc.

We were advised to treat the dogs with one of the long lasting treatments and then hoover, everyday, multiple times a day and the bag goes straight in the outside bin.

So far it seems to be doing the trick

conniegirl

Visit site
Hope yours bob off very soon lass!

Thank you all. I've sent it all off to the person doing the dealing with.
So far all we are finding in the hoover are dead fleas and flea poo. We’ve not had any bites since day 2 after treatment. I even bought a doggy nit comb and when using that ive only found one or 2 live ones, prior to treating the dogs poor daisy was crawling with them!