How very sad, 28 yr old Lambton Rose to go through York sales.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Wow, thank god for the good people left in the world eh?
Who is paying? and is it actually sorted where she will live? Just it all sounds slightly up in the air and the beh home (that i know nothing of) just sounds a bit like it may be dodgy.

Very best of luck to all involved xx

Moneys secured, home secured, transport secured.

Ladyinred

Visit site
If the buyer is one of HHO regulars and they would like to PM me their details, I should love to make a contribution towards this old girl. Not much as I am out of work, but something towards fuel or whatever.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If the buyer is one of HHO regulars and they would like to PM me their details, I should love to make a contribution towards this old girl. Not much as I am out of work, but something towards fuel or whatever.

For donations by far and away best is via Just Giving button on www.emwuk.org.uk website button. Please mark donation for the Old Mare Rosie - so that the donation will be accounted for separately.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Have just made a donation to EMW because a) I often go to York Sales - can't go this week because ironically I'm trying to buy some land (which may give mean I can give another horse a chance some time); b) I've a very soft spot for Dales; and c) I am so impressed that people on here have not only talked about it but actually got a plan together to do something about it.
I know there are hundreds of horses that go through sales across the country that deserve a better life/death than they probably get but am sure that even helping one is better than helping none.

dunthing

Visit site
Just made a donation. I'm miles away so no use at the sale but I wish all involved the very best of luck. I really hope they manage to buy this poor old lady and give her the peace and security that she deserves, in her last few years. What a fantastic crowd of people there are on this forum. Well done to everyone involved.

Visit site
Does anyone know who is actually buying this mare?

keeping my fingers crossed it is not the "rescue center" mentioned previously in this thread as this would be counter productive...

look forward to hearing Rose is settled into a nice warm stable with some lovely food and loving new mummy to care for and spoil her, after all she deserves it

rockysmum

Visit site
The EMW Charity are buying her with donations from here and facebook.

One of our members OH is actually going to bid and pay, the will reinburse him.

I'm taking her back to Leeds to a HHO members yard (HCH4932) for a few days. Another of our members (Kiss22) is going to loan her from the charity, subject to a home check.

So she now has a good home with Kiss22 and her 27 year old Fell mare. She will be owned by EMW so her future is secure.

A real result for the forum

Last edited:

SerenityJ

New User
Visit site
Oh gosh what a lovely thing are you all doing.

When she is happy in her new home you all deserve a very large drink and pat on the back!

DuckToller

Visit site
Oh dear, I have made the mistake of logging onto the auction site and have downloaded the catalogue. Now I want to rescue a few more :(

Can anyone assure me that most of these will get decent homes? What about the riding school ponies being sold? The mare with a foal at foot, and in foal again?

Can we rescue a lorry load? If it wasn't so far from me...

Visit site
That is brilliant news so happy for Rose and her new friend.

How nice to have a lovely happy outcome from a post after the "this forum has become a joke" thread earlier on in the week

Dolcé

Visit site
I would just like it to be made very clear, just in case the current owner has been made aware of these threads, there will be no approach made to the owner, no accusations and nothing said or done to make them feel uncomfortable. As has already been said, none of us know the reasons this mare is being put through the sale and as far as I am concerned that is their business and we are just there to bid. I did suggest earlier to try and contact the current owner but that was only with a view to securing the mare without her being put through the stress of the sale. If the owner was to read this and would prefer to go down that route then they could contact either EMW or S'teamed to arrange it.

VLHIEASTON

Visit site
What about if the bidders who are from here wear a coloured sticker or something so you know not to bid against each other?

Just a thought.

Good luck xx

ruby1512

Visit site
EMW are a fantastic charity and worth donating too as you can be totally confident that every penny donated goes to help horses......oh and they don't need a camera crew to do there job properly either unlike the RSPCA!!!

sami4971

Visit site
There should not be any issue with the bidding as everything is already arranged with emw. my stepdad (hch4971's partner) is bidding and initially purchasing Rose, rockysmum travelling her to the yard where she will stay until emw have completed checks on her lovely long term home. Here is hoping the mare turns up and I shall have my iPhone to keep you all updated at the ringside! A lucky mare to find a home with emw!

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
There should not be any issue with the bidding as everything is already arranged with emw. my stepdad (hch4971's partner) is bidding and initially purchasing Rose, rockysmum

Yup. We have one very experienced bidder doing the bidding on behalf of EMW. Everyone who is involved and going to the sale knows not to bid but be there as support.

If Rose's current owner is reading this, please rest assurred that all we want is the best for Rose.
We neither want to know or need to know the ins and out but would like you to know that Rose is guaranteed a wonderful home for the remainder of her life.

rockysmum

Visit site
There should not be any issue with the bidding as everything is already arranged with emw. my stepdad (hch4971's partner) is bidding and initially purchasing Rose, rockysmum travelling her to the yard where she will stay until emw have completed checks on her lovely long term home. Here is hoping the mare turns up and I shall have my iPhone to keep you all updated at the ringside! A lucky mare to find a home with emw!

Ahh Sammi, you have dropped me in it with your text. I was keeping this a secret from Lou as poor kid has to work on Friday. You will have to invite her up to meet Rose at the weekend now.

fitzaud2

Visit site
Agree - unfortunately its just £££ to some people and thats all that motivates them. There were a couple of older horses advertised on pre-loved locally to me yesterday, all with health issues/cant be ridden and being given away free so they become someone elses responsibility - makes me really angry!!!

totally agree, i'm the other side of that, up to recentely, i had a field of oldies, I couldnt possibly put a pony of that age through the sales, if you cant keep it, find it a good home. my poor oldies died but they had the best years of their lives wiith me, very well looked after. it's so sad, but i would worry more over all the two year olds that are sold for 50 quid, what will happen them????
I have two 2 yr olds that i dont want, and would love to sell, but i cant have it on my consience if something bad happens them, so I'll keep them till next year at least, so i can break them myself and hopefully sell them to good homes.
Some people just have no conseince!!!!

Kaylum

Visit site
Well done guys. and I hope you get her cheaply as the owners dont deserve anything for her in fact its a disgrace as others have said. But lets just hope these people who are selling her arent certain people who are renown for acquiring old and broken down horses and making a quick buck out of selling them. Just like some do with shetlands fatten them up at the side of the road and sell them at auction nice and fat.

Anyway well done. Have donated.

'S'teamed

Visit site
I would just like it to be made very clear, just in case the current owner has been made aware of these threads, there will be no approach made to the owner, no accusations and nothing said or done to make them feel uncomfortable. As has already been said, none of us know the reasons this mare is being put through the sale and as far as I am concerned that is their business and we are just there to bid. I did suggest earlier to try and contact the current owner but that was only with a view to securing the mare without her being put through the stress of the sale. If the owner was to read this and would prefer to go down that route then they could contact either EMW or S'teamed to arrange it.

Thank You

We DO NOT know any of the Vendor's circumstances as to why Rose has foundherself at the Auction. It could be numerous reasons..and frankly none of our business.
And yes, if the Vendor has happened upon HHO and this thread, i'm quite happy for them to contact me.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I was going to say that - the owner might have died suddenly and this could be THE LAST thing they would have wanted for the mare, so please can we stop with the speculation. It's not helpful and could be counter-productive. Cheers, people :)

rockysmum

Visit site
Which actually shows that you should always make a will. Its no good assuming family will do the right thing, they might not know what it is.

Executors can do what they like with your assets to raise money if you dont. And like it or not horses, dogs etc are counted as assets.

Archangel

Visit site
Apologies if this has been done elsewhere and I missed it but well done to AnnieBags for spotting her on the list in the first place. She is just marked as aged so unless you knew your stuff you wouldn't guess aged meant 28.

So :) to AnnieBags

Dolcé

Visit site
Apologies if this has been done elsewhere and I missed it but well done to AnnieBags for spotting her on the list in the first place. She is just marked as aged so unless you knew your stuff you wouldn't guess aged meant 28.

Yep, second this! Thank goodness AnnieBags looked further into it and drew her to the attention of the forum.

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
Well done you lot, I'm so glad this mare can look forward to a peaceful retirement. Please let us know when she is safe.

There is no criticism of the owner - we don't know the circumstances - only concern for the welfare of the mare.

anniebags

Visit site
Yep, I was thinking AnnieBags deserves a huge well done for spotting her! :)

Yep, second this! Thank goodness AnnieBags looked further into it and drew her to the attention of the forum.

Aw shucks, thanks but I did nothing compared to the rest of the folks on her and FB.

I mentioned on Facebook that I'd had a sad day on Tuesday, having attended the funeral of a dear friend and maybe it was my low spirits that made me feel so much for Rose. I had only posted once or twice on here previously although I've lurked for years but there was something about Lambton Rose that made me look further into her past and which revealed her age, breeding history (numerous foals, twins and a 17.2 team GB vaulting horse!) plus her loyal service as a RDA pony. I don't know what prompted me to mention her on here but I'm so glad I did.

I hope something really good can come from this.x

anniebags

Visit site

Thanks to you too RebelRebel.x