How were your section Ds to back?

RedDiamond

Visit site
Mine was an angel. She was calm and accepted everything straight away. Breaking her in was actually quite easy. She was 3 when I started breaking her in but I didnt ride her properly until she was 4.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Easy and straight forward, but I did buy him at 6 months of age and he trusted me. Backed and ridden away at 4. He was a big chap at 16h. He was quiet and easy until he was 6 and realised how much fun was to be had hunting etc, and then he became as hot as hell, but safe, lost him at 27 and miss him a lot.

dollymix

Visit site
Mine was easy! I bred her myself though and ensured she was well handled from day one.

She was backed at the beginning of winter in her third year. However before that, I would regularly take her to the mounting block and lean over her back.

I started riding her regularly when she was four. Mostly hacking with some school work.

She was extensively long-reined before backing and had been to shows in-hand etc so has seen lots of traffic and had lots of life experience. Tbh, I think backing and bringing on was rather boring for her! Lol she was very blasé about it all :)

GeorgeyGal

Visit site
My 2 yr old is quite high energy and can be explosive (not like she was up until 18 months old, she has settled down alot, no longer walking about on hind legs, but to be fair that only happened due to excitement a few times) but she is v quick to learn, gives to the lightest of pressures, fine with traffic, been doing lots of desensitising and have just start long lining. Was easy to get her used to a roller and have been standing on things to lean across her etc, no issues. She is the sort that needs daily handling or I do see slight regression if I miss a day. She is a dominant personality though, I don't like to generalise with breeds its just interesting to find common links in everyone's experiences. She is half saddlebred to so maybe that's where she gets her 'hotness'.

Lambkins

Visit site
Mine was easy .. Bought him at two ..very lightly backed at 3 ..turned away ..came back in and restarted at 4 .. Been a superstar so far ( 6 ATM ) love him ;)

charli_

Visit site
I got Wellie ten years ago at 3 years old - for some reason my aunt Jackie thought it would be give me my first pony, one her mare had. I was 14:) but just got on with it - he was sent off to be professionally backed as she was busy with her horses, but before that I began to prepare him, lunging and getting him used to loading etc...also used to noises like rustling leaves, carrier bags, as well as loading. He was a saint and they told us he was brilliant when he went to be backed. :)