How wide is an extra wide wintec gullet?

Opticalillusion

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I got a new mare last week and am in the process of breaking her in.

She's a 15hh Traditional Cob. I've tried my old saddle on her - a wintec 2000 with a wide bar fitted in it (that I used to use on my chunky welsh sec D) and not surprisingly it doesn't fit.

My question is, would it be worthwhile buying an extra wide gullet for it, and trying that, or do you think it will still not be wide enough?

Does anyone use an extra wide gullet, and what is the build of your horse?

Thanks x

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
Sorry don't use an extra wide but have a wide on a 16. 2 tb he's a big boy but not over chunky. I'm not sure if they come up as wide as some fittings as we also tried a medium/wide leather saddle that fitted. Saddler said the gullets done come up that generous. Guess ill find out when tb has filled out with muscle and I need an extra wide :-0

Opticalillusion

Visit site
Damn.. That's what I thought :( I know they now do a new range of extra wide saddles and even wider gullets, so that shows that their extra wide ones can't be THAT wide.

I guess i'll just have to sell mine and buy a second hand one of a different make that fits; I can't afford a brand new saddle again. Gutted - it's really mega comfy and i've had it since new :(

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
We had an extra wide wintec gullet on our cob x Percheron, she had a typical table top back. I have forgotten my Photobucket password to show you pics but if you go to my previous posts you might find a pic of her - she was a grey, looks big but only 15.1

Opticalillusion

Visit site
Oooooo! That's giving me some hope!!!! :D She looks loads wider than Ruby too.

I guess i'll just buy the extra wide gullet and go from there. If not, I can always sell the saddle with 3 gullets then.

P.s. She's gorgeous Magic :) x

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

There is quite a lot of lift at the back of the saddle in the jumping pic on that thread, though I do see that's not the Wintec.

If you're looking for a synthetic then I'd try the Thorowgood cob before the Wintec Wide - slightly flatter tree shape, not kinked in the arms of the headplate. I fit a lot of Welsh Ds and find that the synthetics are not always a good fit - the trees are all narrow in the head ie an upside down V not a U, and this means a lack of contact along the length of the arms of the tree - visualise putting a V shaped coathanger against a barrel shape, you can see there is only a tiny point of contact. The trees are too curvy from front to back for some, and the panels can also be too "poofy". Worth a try though when you're on a budget - just check it is stable including that it doesn't lift at the back when in rising trot or jumping - if it does it is too wide or too curvy,

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
There is quite a lot of lift at the back of the saddle in the jumping pic on that thread, though I do see that's not the Wintec.

Correct, these pics were of her in her Ideal VSD used for showing, just fancied a bit of fun after showing classes, daughter wouldn't usually jump in her pelham - she had a very powerful pop when she jumped

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Oooooo! That's giving me some hope!!!! :D She looks loads wider than Ruby too.

I guess i'll just buy the extra wide gullet and go from there. If not, I can always sell the saddle with 3 gullets then.

P.s. She's gorgeous Magic :) x

Yes she was - sadly lost her last Nov to colic - only 7 1/2. Good luck with your cob.

Lintel

Visit site
The biggest gullet is huge.
The extra wide fits baby highland lovely. Can't say I am in love with the saddle, don't have it now.
The wide gullet fits my boy.

Don't have great photo's of there backs or fitting but this is baby highland- totally flat backed, witherless at the moment!
Snapshot727-03-201219-39.png

Scottsetc089.jpg

This is the fitting on the wide gullet on my highland.
Saddle189.jpg

DSC_2688.jpg

Slightly fatter stages of my boy ^ - probably could have done with the X wide at that time!

G'luck! :D

Brambridge04

Visit site
Anymore pics?

Have a NF mare who is in a wide, but when im on and i go to run hands down the side it feels a bit "diggy" in, so have brought (waiting on delivery) extra wide.... few people have said "she's a NF she wont need that extra wide" she is rather broad though!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
as far as im aware, you can't put the extra wide one in the standard saddle, you need to buy the saddle that is designed to be able to take the extra wide gullet!

Brambridge04

Visit site
as far as im aware, you can't put the extra wide one in the standard saddle, you need to buy the saddle that is designed to be able to take the extra wide gullet!

The white extra wide fits both "models" as is sold in the "multi pack" of gullets for the standard model, as being the largest gullet, and sold as smallest gullet in the multipack for the "wide" model. (i did phone up saddler and check lol!)

Queenbee

Visit site
The extra wide does fit the standard saddle but as the gullet doesn't adjust the rest of the saddle which follows a more 'medium' design I'd go for a wide wintec or tg cob, the design will be a much better overall fit for the horse

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Anymore pics?

Have a NF mare who is in a wide, but when im on and i go to run hands down the side it feels a bit "diggy" in, so have brought (waiting on delivery) extra wide.... few people have said "she's a NF she wont need that extra wide" she is rather broad though!

In my experience (and I fit a lot of natives) NFs are either wide, if they have a wither, or XW if they have little or none - generalisation of course but I'd only have one or two in wider or narrower than those.

oh yeh, i was thinking of the extra extra wide gullet, i have extra wide in my saddle, sorry being stupid!

IMG00517-20100822-1432.jpg

Hope you don't mind me saying, and feel free to ignore, but do check the balance when you are mounted, it is sitting a little cantle low in that photo, the front may come down when you sit in it, but sometimes the cantle comes down as much or more. See if it feels different (better?) to ride in with a rear riser.

As a general guide, always fit the correct width gullet at the front and then look at whether the panels give the right front to back balance - you might be able to go to another gullet size but normally only one or two widths might work - if you're playing around more than that to get the saddle in balance then likely the tree and/or panel is wrong.