How windy is too windy?

overdraft

Visit site
I don't have an indoor school ... sadly. So, i have to brave the weather. i'm pretty good in the driving rain and will ride when it's a bit windy. But, when it's blowing a gale i have to throw in the towel and admit defeat. My horse is fairly sensible in bad weather providing we're not in the arena ( when schooling the slightest breeze can have him on his toes). I often wonder if i'm being a bit of a wimp. So, how windy is too windy for you to tack up and brave the weather?

Trish C

Visit site
When the seagulls are flying backwards...

Depends on my mood and horseface's mood. Some days he comes up in a gale and is as laid back, others he comes up and goes through everything he says. Generally have to be careful on the roads in wind as there are lots of opportunities for flying debris. Our school is quite exposed but generally it's ok to ride in, in all but the worst of winds... the kind where you can't stand up in them!

overdraft

Visit site
I like that .. when the seagulls are flying backwards. You're all pretty hardcore! I am a wimp. Am going to man up a bit and just get on with it providing there is no flying debris or seagulls going in the wrong direction!

noblesteed

Visit site
I am more scared of debris flying about, and it being too noisy to hear traffic behind you. Horse is ok, a bit on his toes but safe enough. We don't have a school and I will hack out in moderate wind, maybe up to 20 mph or 30 mph gusts. If you know anything about sailing then I wouldn't ride if it would be too windy to sail a dinghy safely. Often we find the beach is sheltered from the prevailing southwesterly by the cliffs so we ride there. I don't go anywhere that involves gates in the wind though, after one blew shut as me and horse were halfway through it - ouch!!!
I wouldn't ride tonight that's for certain!

bluewhippet

Visit site
I like that .. when the seagulls are flying backwards. You're all pretty hardcore! I am a wimp. Am going to man up a bit and just get on with it providing there is no flying debris or seagulls going in the wrong direction!

I think it is only the 'manly' people who are replying! I am sure there are a whole load of members on here (me sometimes included) who wouldn't ride out when the seagull is at a standstill!

Arizahn

Visit site
My mare hates the wind. Stresses her out something shocking. The only thing that calms her on a blustery day is being lunged (spelling?) by my OH. It has to be him that does it too:confused:

Trinity Fox

Visit site
I go out in pretty blustery winds its funny my most spooky horse is no worse in gale force winds, although it is alot harder to hear traffic coming from behind so I am always very aware of this.

OFG

Visit site
I wouldn't venture out if there was a risk of flying debris.

Took the new pony out on Sunday when it was blustery, wish I hadn't now. He was an idiot and freaked out at nearly everything (luckily I was off road). He ended up tanking off with me right across a field we rent out to a local turf company :eek:

At least the guy from the turf company is understanding, although I did tell him to let me know how much damage was done and I will put in a claim with my insurance co.

Jesstickle

Visit site
If there was flying debris no. Other wise I'd go out. BH doesn't even notice the wind so it doesn't really affect us. He's a good chap. Plus we don't get too blustery where I am. We're miles from the coast so it's mostly blown itself out by the time it reaches us!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I won't hack out in this kind of wind, it's far too dangerous. As regards riding, there are only two horses on the yard that I would ride in the arena in this weather, the others are too daft in the wind and it just isn't worth it. They get lunged instead. A few years ago I changed my mindset completely regarding riding. I always believed that the horse should be made to work regardless of the conditions and whether or not they were paying attention. Now I think that working a horse that it totally distracted and scared in the wind is actually counter productive to its training. If you can't get any sense out of them then it's a waste of time trying IMO. Also, because I run the livery single handed and all horses are on part or full livery, I cannot afford to get hurt. Even a twisted ankle would be devastating to me and so I never take unnecessary risks.

Inchy

Visit site
I won't hack out in this, can't hear what's coming on the roads, all offroad hacking is next too/through woodland so risk being beheaded by flying debris...

I've ridden 6 in the school today, non were bothered by the wind - just my ears which are aching from it!

kathantoinette

Visit site
I'm in a very windy spot - on marsh land with no hedges or shelter really. If I'm undecided on braving the wind for a ride out, I usually take my dogs for a little walk and if its nearly blowing me over when I'm walking then I take the decision that it won't be pleasant riding!

Goldenstar

Visit site
When you can't stay upright on the horses back in the school on my last one around midday it was blowing me to the side and my hat cover kept getting blown down over my eyes.
Its terrible here now power is out at my friend half a mile away hope I don't lose mine as I hate that when I am on my own off now to do the neds early so I don't have to go out again.
Stay safe if you are out and about.

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
today was too windy. I was meant to have a lesson but my lovely instructor muddled up the days. So I decided to lunge. Only every time we went past the side with trees bending over in the wind she bricked herself. Had to shout someone to rescue me as I couldn't hold horse and open gate as she decided me moving was life threatening and she had better look very scared
Gave it up as a bad job!

babymare

Visit site
it really depends on your situation.horse and wether flying debris will hit - my little lass even though a stress head could ride her in mild wind but hard rain but the big lad lol could ride him in a gale but pure drizzle forget it lol so situation , horse and what you feel comfy ith - and hey if dont ride cause doesnt feel right dont beat ya self up - always another day to ride and it is meant to be fun :) xx

Luci07

Visit site
Doesn't normally bother me but did avoid the woods when it was really windy. Nothing funny about hearing trees comiing down behind you!

overdraft

Visit site
Very helpful, thank you. Having read all the replies i feel less of a wimp. Unfortunately, my knowledge of boating is limited noblesteed ...(although i do find listening to the shipping forecast very relaxing!!) I think 25 mph gusts would be my limit but, i suppose you just have to judge it on the day. It's not worth taking a risk just so that the horse gets exercise (i do find that i get a bit hung up about ' he has to work 6 days'). He won't be doing any work if i fall off and break something. If he comes out the stable with his eyes on stalks then he can just turn around and go right back in again or i'll lunge. I ride everyday on my own so i only have my judgement to rely on ( and there have been occasions where i've made the wrong call) it's good to hear what others think ..... thank you all.

Jnhuk

Visit site
I never used to bother but after one hack in high winds where when we reached the half way point and suddenly turned in to the wind, we were going no where! Felt for every two steps forward, the wind blew us back one! Plus I could only breath by putting my head down and to the side. Ever since then I don't if a significantly windy. Plus I've got a horse now that gets more wound up in the wind! All those scary, flapping things in the hedges!

After all, be safe and be sensible - live to ride your horse another day.

Moomin1

Visit site
I used to ride my old pony in all weathers. But have to say that I def give it a miss on my mare as she is a bit of a nutter in the bad weather - even heavy rain can set her off! She just gets all het up and spooked at everything. :(

muddygreymare

Visit site
I rode today and it was pretty damn windy. As long as I deem it safe to do so, I will ride whatever the weather! My mare isn't at all spooky, so that's not an issue.
Everyone else at the yard thinks I'm slightly odd but why waste a session's riding just because of the weather, your horse won't suffer from working when it's rainy/windy/whatever, so why waste the opportunity? :)