How would you feel about this? (Rant)

JFTDWS

Visit site
But I don't think that's a fair assessment. I've never been on a yard with aggressive, shouting woman. And I don't accept that it's part and parcel of keeping your horse at livery.

I've never been on a yard without at least one (and I've been on a few yards, nor am I referring to myself!).

You clearly live in a more refined part of the country :eek3:

ihatework

Visit site
One person's agressive & shouting, can be another persons loud and slightly overbearing. It's all subjective and unfortunately in life and livery you will encounter people with personalities or ways of doing things that don't align with your own ideals.

Mostly it's a case of deep breath, smile and get on with your own things. If it becomes a more serious problem then a quiet word with the YO.

WelshD

Visit site
While the lady doesnt sound particularly pleasant the breaking away of the horse was at the end of the day an accident (whether predictable or not) so I wouldnt be as upset as you no. No harm was done and hopefully the lady was suitably embarassed by the situation to be more careful in future

The information you have given since about the agression being a repeated problem I would report to the YO (as you have done) and leave it there. Hopefully everyone else on the yard is bearable enough so its not all bad :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
You really think this is an appropriate response given the situation?

Amazed.

Some one had a bad day with their horse and lost their temper .
It's my reponse because it's what I think on a livery yard you are not in control of every body you have to rub along with everyone .
I have no idea why this other lady lost her rag could have been anything but putting up with others if part and parcel of sharing space .
OP did not like it and left that was her choice and as she likes quiet the right one for her .
The only to guarantee quiet is to be in control of the enviroment .

Hippomania

New User
Visit site
To all the people suggesting it's not reasonable to expect others to be quiet or control the noise levels:

I have no problem with noise within reason. Noisy conversation, laughter, banter even the occasional expletive or brief squabble, is fine and perfectly normal. Sustained aggressive shouting at animals or humans, rudeness and animal abuse in my experience isn't.

Fortunately, it seems our YO agrees. :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
To all the people suggesting it's not reasonable to expect others to be quiet or control the noise levels:

I have no problem with noise within reason. Noisy conversation, laughter, banter even the occasional expletive or brief squabble, is fine and perfectly normal. Sustained aggressive shouting at animals or humans, rudeness and animal abuse in my experience isn't.

People lose control sometimes it happens often it's triggered by some esle that happened to them .
And that's the right outcome the YOer deals with it as she sees fit because it's her yard.

Patterdale

Visit site
You and I rarely disagree :p

But I don't think that's a fair assessment. I've never been on a yard with aggressive, shouting woman. And I don't accept that it's part and parcel of keeping your horse at livery.

Yes, bit of a sweeping statement I suppose! :D ;)

But years of freelancing round countless different yards has maybe tainted my view. I've seen things that would make your teeth itch and can now fully understand why horsey women have the stereotype that they do. Even though its a minority, it's a bloomin loud one!

Last edited:

Mithras

Visit site

I can't stand it either. Why are there so many people who roar at the top of their voices? It just makes them sound like nutters. Even if they aren't nutters, they give the impression that they are. It makes me cringe when I hear a roarer in action, goodness knows what it does to their horses. Makes them very nervous and confused I would guess.

And I'd bet that, whatever it is that they are roaring about, it isn't half as bad as the noise being emitted from their lungs!

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
I can't stand it either. Why are there so many people who roar at the top of their voices? It just makes them sound like nutters. Even if they aren't nutters, they give the impression that they are. It makes me cringe when I hear a roarer in action, goodness knows what it does to their horses. Makes them very nervous and confused I would guess.

And I'd bet that, whatever it is that they are roaring about, it isn't half as bad as the noise being emitted from their lungs!

Same, can't abide it. There is always one though lol

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Hi all. I'm a regular poster posting anonymously as I need to rant and don't want to be recognised in real life!

Having worked all weekend, I went up to the yard where I keep my horse on DIY livery, to spend a few relaxing hours grooming, fussing and chilling this lovely mild evening. I brought my horse in from the field and after a while tied up outside the stable to muck out. Someone else was on the yard with her horse, hers was tied the other side of the yard and she was mane-pulling and trimming round the horse's ears.

The other horse (who is usually very well mannered) objected to this and the owner got crosser and crosser. She was yelling at her horse, thumping it in the neck and yanking on the headcollar very roughly. Her horse got so upset it broke free and careered across the yard and collided with mine, who being very nervous panicked and pulled back on the rope.

Neither horse was hurt, but the other horse's owner didn't say sorry, she just grabbed her horse and yelled and yanked at the headcollar more as a punishment. :(

In the end, I put mine back in the field (living out at present, only coming in for short periods) as I feared an accident. I didn't finish what I was doing as I was so wound up at the rough treatment of the other horse and all the shouting was not the peace and quiet I was expecting. I came home feeling cross and resentful.

Am I being a bit precious and expecting too much? Does everyone else just tolerate or find this sort of thing normal on yards?

Hell fire calm down, it seems to have been an accident

Mithras

Visit site
Same, can't abide it. There is always one though lol

I was at a recent event and someone dared to trot their horse in a horse walk area or maybe the horse broke into a few steps of jog or something, anyway no big deal, except for the ROAR from someone sitting in a car "WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH". Dogs cowered, horses trembled, I covered my ears. The person I was with spilt some of their coffee. I think she was suggesting that the errant rider walk. tbh the risk of split eardrums and bolting animals fleeing from the sound was greater than any risk from a jogging horse!

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
I was at a recent event and someone dared to trot their horse in a horse walk area or maybe the horse broke into a few steps of jog or something, anyway no big deal, except for the ROAR from someone sitting in a car "WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH". Dogs cowered, horses trembled, I covered my ears. The person I was with spilt some of their coffee. I think she was suggesting that the errant rider walk. tbh the risk of split eardrums and bolting animals fleeing from the sound was greater than any risk from a jogging horse!

Lol!!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Some of you must be on awful yards if you feel screaming and aggressive women are typical.

Have a look at some different yards, you might find places where people know how to handle horses. (Tip; they aren't the shriekers and slappers.)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Local DIY yard to me in somerset is full of loud sweary women, I guess you either join them or become immune :p.

I'd say it's quieter having them at home but I can hear my mum from halfway across the field just chatting and then dad will start with the strimmer/chainsaw :p.