How would you react?

Dumbo

Visit site
If someone offered you a reasonable sum for your horse that wasn't for sale?

A friend has just told me someone today, a fellow livery I believe, asked if she would accept £2k for her lovely ID mare. She isn't for sale and so the offer was declined politely, but she now wonders if this other lady was out of order for asking or if she should be flattered that someone likes her mare to offer a very reasonable price.
I'm not sure how I would react so interested to know other opinions.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I was offered once more than the price of my first house for a 4yo I bred and more the price of this house for another .
I was flattered both times .

Elbie

Visit site
I suppose I would be flattered if someone asked!

I suppose you never know the situation and whether someone was contemplating selling or not so guess they thought they might as well ask. Don't ask you won't know!

heebiejeebies

Visit site
I've had a couple of people offer to buy my horse, and it really pees me off! Probably doesn't help that I'm a really defensive/over reactor type of person lol but it puts it in my head that if they want him enough to offer money for him and I say no then what if they try to steal him!?

I should try and be flattered by it though :)

ridefast

Visit site
I don't think it's out of order, I guess the person making the offer just wanted your friend to know, just in case? After all if you don't ask you don't get. And if your friend were to fall on hard times she knows there is someone interested

windand rain

Visit site
Was offered a blank cheque up to £26000 for my pony once I gracefully declined but I wouldnt say no again as god only knows the money would have made life a lot easier but she is my horse of a lifetime and is still here 12 years later and will be until she leaves us for rainbow bridge. Now if anyone offered me any reasonable price for any pony and it was a good home I would let them go but it would have to be more than £2000 as they are all worth far more than that to me. I found the big offer really flattering

EffyCorsten

Visit site
I'm flattered and I don't think it's rude, don't ask you don't get. Im not keen on it when people go around hassling everyone at shows asking though.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
If it was my asbo pony I'd load him up and deliver him before they changed their minds. There's only one out of my three that would never be sold, he was my first pony and he's not going anywhere, however I would be flattered if someone wanted him.

Voxhorse

Visit site
Some people will see something they like and ask, if you don't ask and all that ! not rude and yes I would be flattered.

Capriole

Visit site
If it was a decent enough sum I'd think hard about taking it. There's one in particular I've got that I would like to keep, full stop, but I guess if I was offered a blank cheque for her, as someone said above, I'd have to seriously consider how that amount of money would improve my all-round situation versus what I'd ideally 'like' to do.
I wouldn't be offended. I wouldn't think £2k was a reasonable sum for my particular ID mares, but I wouldn't be offended, just say thanks but no thanks. It's really not out of order to enquire, imo.

puss

Visit site
I was offered 4000 for my quirky one at a show. Would have bitten her hand off for it. Then she showed me the up and coming daughter she wanted it for I refused. Her thinking it wasn't enough money offered me more until I explained he was not any never will be for a child. I was very flattered

kassieg

Visit site
I was offered a v.decent amount for my old mare ... wish id taken it now as a year later she got djd then navicular.... but she taught me so much & I loved her a lot so I dont regret it as such but it would have made my life a lot easier now!

Be flattered !! Dont ask you dont get not rude or cheeky just someone taking an opportunity :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
No it's not rude- as everyone points out if you don't ask you don't get!
I was offered money- well asked how much I'd take for my old pony, by some guy who pulled up alongside me as I rode! Apparently he'd seen me pass his yard daily and had customers waiting for a pony like him. He was a known dealer and even if I'd ever considered selling it wouldn't have been to a dealer so I declined. Still made my day!

maree t

Visit site
We get people asking about my sons pony. He is rather tall for him now but is still out competing and winning. The pony will never be for sale , not for any price but I would never be offended .

Billy the kid

Visit site
If it was a good offer id be flattered. Wouldnt sell my boy no matter what anyone offered, but i'd still be flattered someone liked him enough to want to buy him.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I was offered a huge amount for my little cob mare when she was 6. I was extremely flattered, but declined to sell.

Similarly I've asked to buy a horse that wasn't for sale....

tinap

Visit site
I got offered a large amount for my daughter's £300 rescue pony by a BS judge. She wasn't for sale at the time but I was very flattered & said I'd contact her if I decided to sell in the future. Xx

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We were offered treble the amount we'd paid for a horse of ours. We'd put a lot of work in on him & he was jumping well & getting results. The dealer wanted him for a client as a working hunter. We were flattered but declined as we'd have to find another suitable horse & then put all the work in again.

It's a common thing in the show jumping world for someone to approach you at a show & make an offer or leave you their details etc. There's no offence meant & as someone else posted......"If you don't ask you don't get" :)