How would you word a wanted advert for me.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I will be horse shopping from Oct/Nov onwards.

Never thought I would be in this position, but my ID mare cannot do what I want due to medical and behaviour reasons. (still keeping her)

What I want

ID or IDXTB

dun - grey or palomino

Mare

16.1hh no bigger

No spooking
between 9 - 14 years old
no rearing
no bucking ........................(late boy)
no bronking...............................................( late boy)
no bolting.....

Too long in the tooth for this and been having bronking and bucking and spooking for the past 12 or so years and enough is enough. (due to injuries and confidence shattered and knee replacement).
no breathing problems ...................( not like current one)
good to clip..........................(not like current one).
travel alone...................... (not like current one)
comfy ride.......................... (not like my current one)
not stressy ................( like current one)

I want something I can just box up - clip- shoe - without the horse stressing on it's own in box and hacks - also something that likes cuddles without looking at me like I have 8 heads and horns and jumping away from me if I want a cuddle. (like this mare) I want to do some jumping again which I cannot do on this mare - and would need something which is an honest jumper to help me back to where I was on my Mare of a lifetime I lost 2012.

I want to put a wanted advert - not something I normally do, I normal scroll the internet and go view and decide myself as v experienced enough to go alone. This time due to my not jumped, I will take someone with me to jump till I can get back in the mode.

This will be my last horse and not been able to have fun on this mare since 2019 and spend most of the time working and not going out on s p rides and lorry sits there not being used and want to have fun before mother nature tells me my time is up.

Thankyou for reading this post and for any help I get with adverts.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Basically

Unicorn wanted, must be impeccably behaved in all things

Then list everything that you have above.

5 star life long home offered for the right mythical creature…

Please contact me in the first instance by xxxxx

I don’t think there is anything wrong with what you have written above but I pray you have a very healthy budget as it is a long wish list and although this creature will exist it will not come cheap.

Are any of these “like to haves “ eg colour as you have really narrowed your field down with that so will be a much harder search… if a black horse turned up with all of those other credentials would it be a deal breaker… ? It’s fine if it is no about how much each criterion means to you…

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Wanted - ID or IDXTB mare, up to 16.1hh, between 9 to 14 years old, as a safe and sane all rounder for an experienced older rider.

Must be affectionate and easy to do in all ways, including clipping and shoeing, and must load and travel alone. Must hack out alone and in company, and must be capable of jumping (insert height here), with the potential to (insert future goal here).

Dun, grey, or palomino preferred.

Will be vetted.

Last edited:

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Honestly…whatever you put people will try and sell you what they have regardless of your wanted list. They just try it on, horse buying is absolutely not the fun job it used to be sadly. I would be prepared for people to be interpreting what you put into their favour…unless you are VERY clear and to the point. Best of luck x

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Basically

Unicorn wanted, must be impeccably behaved in all things

Then list everything that you have above.

5 star life long home offered for the right mythical creature…

Please contact me in the first instance by xxxxx

I don’t think there is anything wrong with what you have written above but I pray you have a very healthy budget as it is a long wish list and although this creature will exist it will not come cheap.

Are any of these “like to haves “ eg colour as you have really narrowed your field down with that so will be a much harder search… if a black horse turned up with all of those other credentials would it be a deal breaker… ? It’s fine if it is no about how much each criterion means to you…
Yes I want those colours, so many people don't like greys because of melanomas.
I know roughly a budget as I am a member of Quality Irish Draught and Irish Sport Horses. Sort of a school mistress I was thinking of.

Known a few people get stitched up by sellers.
ty KITT I like that - whoops just seen what your user name spells. KITT as in Knight Industries Tow Thousand aka Knight Rider.

KITT

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Wanted ID or IDXTB - dun - grey or palomino - Mare - 16.1hh but no bigger - Laid Back and Totally Nuclear Bombproof and Spookproof and 100% in all ways on the roads in heavy traffic when ridden by itself or in company. Must pass everything including Pigs, Ostriches, Alpacas, Horses and Exotic Animals. Must be capable of being ridden by children, adults and senior citizens on a loose rein. Experienced and loving home offered.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The horse you want will cost, but you clearly are aware of that. You'd expand the choice with a wider age range. There are plenty of perfectly steady 7 year olds with a real sense of their characters by then. Any reason 9 is the limit? Also many low mileage older horses could hapily do the job you want for years to come. If you were willing to manage some health needs that don't affect rideability that could also expand both the pool and lower the budget. Poor travellers are a PITA but you can sedate to clip assuming you aren't doing it every 6 weekly all year round. If the horses has to be a total paragon of virtue you could look forever and still never find one.

I also think the right horse is never the wrong colour. Obviously totally up to you to try for the colour you want but when people specify colurs on a wanted ad I generally assume they are not realistic buyers but have a fantasy 'dream horse' wish list and I would be less likely to reply. There is no such thing as the perfect horse. Well I've never met one anyway. The most saintly near-perfect horses I've had were Jenny and Dolly - Dolly was the 'wrong' colour' and Jenny needed remedial farriery for poor foot conformation. They were both 'perfect' enough to be rare as hen's teeth with a queue of buyers.

Also being prepared to travel is helpful if you have very specific wishes.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The horse you want will cost, but you clearly are aware of that. You'd expand the choice with a wider age range. There are plenty of perfectly steady 7 year olds with a real sense of their characters by then. Any reason 9 is the limit? Also many low mileage older horses could hapily do the job you want for years to come. If you were willing to manage some health needs that don't affect rideability that could also expand both the pool and lower the budget. Poor travellers are a PITA but you can sedate to clip assuming you aren't doing it every 6 weekly all year round. If the horses has to be a total paragon of virtue you could look forever and still never find one.

I also think the right horse is never the wrong colour. Obviously totally up to you to try for the colour you want but when people specify colurs on a wanted ad I generally assume they are not realistic buyers but have a fantasy 'dream horse' wish list and I would be less likely to reply. There is no such thing as the perfect horse. Well I've never met one anyway. The most saintly near-perfect horses I've had were Jenny and Dolly - Dolly was the 'wrong' colour' and Jenny needed remedial farriery for poor foot conformation. They were both 'perfect' enough to be rare as hen's teeth with a queue of buyers.

Also being prepared to travel is helpful if you have very specific wishes.
Hi let me respond to each

1. I have a soft spot for those colours hence why i want another one. Don't want offend people with other colours but lots of greys are for sale as people on the net wanted adverts say not grey so shouldn't be too bad.
  2. I don't want anything under 9 due to my age I will when it reaches 25.
  3. having one stressy traveller i don't want another which is why I am not taking her out.
  4. This mare has to be sedated to clip and again had enough of it so want an easy one this time.
Wish I could turn back the clock to my late idx mare she was 1 in a million.

Traveling is not a prob.

I travelled to Carmarthenshire/ Herts
Clyro and Monmouthshire for horses/ponies

Not in a rush and prepared to wait, and surf.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
also think the right horse is never the wrong colour. Obviously totally up to you to try for the colour you want but when people specify colours on a wanted ad I generally assume they are not realistic buyers but have a fantasy 'dream horse' wish list and I would be less likely to reply.
Agree with this.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Are you thinking that smaller won’t take your leg up as ID types can be quite stocky so maybe say 15.3 as the lower and why not go up an inch to 16.2 , if you are putting a wanted ad as people don’t always know exactly how high their horses are

sport horse

Visit site
I would not rule out a warm blood - (basically an ID x IS a warmblood!). Having bred ID x for years and then switched to continental warmbloods I never want another horse with one single drop of ID blood in it!! The last horse I bought for myself was (and is) a cob x warmblood and at the age of five he was ( and at 20 still is) a saint.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't do a "Wanted" ad; you'll get everything thrown at you, literally from deviant Sh!tlands to draught-horses. People don't read things properly and you'll find yourself overwhelmed.

One route which I would suggest, albeit cautiously, is to consider perhaps using an Agent? Please note I am NOT talking about your bog-standard Dealer here. A good Agent should be able to quickly gauge what it is you want, and set about sourcing it for you. However (as with a dealer) you will need to be discerning. You could try asking around for recommendations in your area and see whose name comes up; also go onto the Dodgy Dealers FB page and ditto see the names that come up regularly there!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I would not rule out a warm blood - (basically an ID x IS a warmblood!). Having bred ID x for years and then switched to continental warmbloods I never want another horse with one single drop of ID blood in it!! The last horse I bought for myself was (and is) a cob x warmblood and at the age of five he was ( and at 20 still is) a saint.
Warmbloods and ISH are a competitive horse in the equestrian disciplines of dressage, I feel happier with a draught as I know the breed as had/got 2. My first mare was ID x TB and she was one in a million, this mare is full ID and I have just had another major spooky ride again. Maybe its just the warm bloods here but they zoomie a lot in the field, never tire out even after exercise and can be temperamental and quite sharp all of which i want to get away from now.

Certainly got lots of food for thought on here :) Budget is ok more important I get the right horse no matter where it is in the UK.

I will be trolling the adverts but also would welcome any advice on agent - not something I have ever used but I was a lot younger then and did not mind the quirks and could judge myself the suitability, but a lot has changed since I bought this mare in 2015. Including my age and full knee replacement as well as permanent dislocation of the shoulder from this mare. Can't risk anything fiery spooky of bucky as if I come off I will have to have knee replacement again.
I hate getting older.

Last edited:

HorseMaid

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't do a "Wanted" ad; you'll get everything thrown at you, literally from deviant Sh!tlands to draught-horses. People don't read things properly and you'll find yourself overwhelmed.

One route which I would suggest, albeit cautiously, is to consider perhaps using an Agent? Please note I am NOT talking about your bog-standard Dealer here. A good Agent should be able to quickly gauge what it is you want, and set about sourcing it for you. However (as with a dealer) you will need to be discerning. You could try asking around for recommendations in your area and see whose name comes up; also go onto the Dodgy Dealers FB page and ditto see the names that come up regularly there!
See I disagree, when I was looking I wrote a succinct and to the point wanted ad detailing what I was looking for and my (low!) budget, and posted it in a few "local" Facebook groups - got a reply, went, looked, bought, had her 6 fantastic years now. It took the effort out of trawling endless adverts.

Good luck OP!!

sport horse

Visit site
Warmbloods and ISH are a competitive horse in the equestrian disciplines of dressage, I feel happier with a draught as I know the breed as had/got 2. My first mare was ID x TB and she was one in a million, this mare is full ID and I have just had another major spooky ride again. Maybe its just the warm bloods here but they zoomie a lot in the field, never tire out even after exercise and can be temperamental and quite sharp all of which i want to get away from now.

Certainly got lots of food for thought on here :) Budget is ok more important I get the right horse no matter where it is in the UK.

I will be trolling the adverts but also would welcome any advice on agent - not something I have ever used but I was a lot younger then and did not mind the quirks and could judge myself the suitability, but a lot has changed since I bought this mare in 2015. Including my age and full knee replacement as well as permanent dislocation of the shoulder from this mare. Can't risk anything fiery spooky of bucky as if I come off I will have to have knee replacement again.
I hate getting older.
You have just had a major spooky ride on an ID so want another? I breed warm bloods for show jumping but every single one is ridden out by the young girls working on the yard some of whom are not that experineced. We have found the warmbloods much easier to handle. break, ride and everything. Obviously there are exceptions but I would suggest as you have a definite size limit, a definite colour wish so maybe you should consider a wider range of breeds?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
You have just had a major spooky ride on an ID so want another? I breed warm bloods for show jumping but every single one is ridden out by the young girls working on the yard some of whom are not that experineced. We have found the warmbloods much easier to handle. break, ride and everything. Obviously there are exceptions but I would suggest as you have a definite size limit, a definite colour wish so maybe you should consider a wider range of breeds?
As I explained the first ID one was amazing - this mare is shall we call her a donut, she has a lot of issues which I have never come across in any other horse in over 40 years. We have had many ID horses and all lovely, I would never base this horses behaviour dissing ID as she is one horse with a lot of trust issues.

October is many months away when I start looking so I will see what is in the market then. :)

lme

Visit site
When I was looking I found expanding the age range and height range, ignoring colour and being flexible on breeding helped me get what I wanted.

I’d maybe focus your advert on what you want to be able to do with your new horse and a short list of genuine non negotiables.

Annagain

Visit site
I wrote a wanted ad for a male version of what you want. I had many, many replies but not one of them resulted in a horse I went to see, let alone one I bought. Every single one had quite a big "but" attached to them - I think that's why they ended up as responses to wanted ads rather than being advertised themselves. The sort you're after is so popular, people hardly need to advertise let alone look out for wanted ads. . When I injured my back I had 4 people message me to ask if I was giving up and selling my boy and if so, could they buy him!

When you're ready try Natacha Bonner (most of hers are younger but she has the odd older sales livery) and Mitty Hardy (nearly all hers are sales liveries so she has a real range). Both are on Facebook.

Birker2020

Visit site
Everyone keeps telling me that the 'newer' type of warmbloods are not the same as the older type whatever that means.
I think they were inferring that they are a lot more 'hot blooded' and not like the slower steadier type of old. Having had five out of seven of my horses WB I am finding it difficult not navigating this route again with so many happy memories of old.