How's he looking/My position - CC

FreyaB

Visit site
So, how's he looking - was quite lean when we got him and I hope he's looking a but better! Also, have been working quite hard on my position and was wondering what else I could improve on? I know my heels need to be down and I need to bend my elbows more/carry my hands better, but apart from that...? :)

I have permission:

PingPongPony

Visit site
Lovely horse :)
Heels down, stirrups down 1 hole for flatwork, move bum forwards a bit in saddle and move lower leg back and put stirrups on widest part of your foot as in all photos your foot is too far into the stirrup which wont help your heels or lower leg position :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Looking at last pic.
Yes, sit in the deepest part of the saddle. I'd put your stirrups up a hole, you look to be reaching for them, which is why your toe is down/heel up. Move your foot so that the ball of the foot, rather than the arch, is on the stirrup. Lift your hands up, turn them is if holding coffee cups, with thumbs on top, bend your elbows more.

Nice horse!

Last edited:

madmav

Visit site
Ha,ha, last two replies say: one to lengthen stirrups, next to shorten. Who to listen to? I will pass on words of wisdom from the equine goddess that is Mary King. She changes stirrups by seven holes between dressage and jumping. Oh and I would say, sort your hands out a bit. But then I would tell myself that, too, as I resemble Farmer Giles most of the time on a horse - possibly off one, too.
Lovely horses btw. Lucky girl.

Kat

Visit site
I think that the OP probably needs someone on the gtound to help her sort her stirrups. People are saying lengthen them because it looks as though short stirrups are pushing her bum to the back of the saddle putting her in a chair seat. But then she is toes down as if reaching for too long stirrups.

So my advice would be take away the stirrups!

When you have them back think stirrups on the ball. Toes to heaven and feet under you. Don't think heels down as it can encourage you to jam your lower leg forward. Glance down, if you can see your toes they are too far forward.

Rouletterose

Visit site
Lovely horse :)
Heels down, stirrups down 1 hole for flatwork, move bum forwards a bit in saddle and move lower leg back and put stirrups on widest part of your foot as in all photos your foot is too far into the stirrup which wont help your heels or lower leg position :)

^^^^^^^THIS

Burmilla

Visit site
Just wated to say, two happy- looking horses and a cheerfull, interested young rider eager to do the best for them! Excellent start for a sunny Spring Sunday! Well done, Freya!

Bobbly

Visit site
Do you suffer from high insteps? if you do you will always struggle to keep your heels down, though altering your foot position in them will help of course.

Wolves

Visit site
Agree with everyone else re lower leg too far forward. I used to always have the same problem and as a result was putting too much weight on to the horses back and not keeping the weight through my legs and feet. I was given some exercises to practice out of the saddle, so I was having to rely on my legs and feet more. I can't tell you how much this helped both my position and my balance!

Loving the pics, your horses are lovely.

galaxy

Visit site
Spend a lot of time stood up in your stirrups, in all paces. This will put your weight back on your foot and bring your leg back by itself and with a relaxed ankle your heel will naturally drop. If you are thinking heels down this is wedging your lower leg foward into that chair position.

No stirrup work will help too. I would be doing a lot.... of both!