Hows he looking weight wise?

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
I know these are not good photos at all but I'm interested in your thoughts on Hovis weight wise?

These were taken on sunday after we clipped him.

For info he's 8 this year, 16.2HH and at least 50% clydesdale (but could be more than that - we don't know what / who Daddy was!!). On the tape he's 590kg - I've never had him on a weigh bridge.

So what do you think - you can be as blunt as you like I won't be offended.

HC2IMG00027-20110213-1534.jpg

HovisclipIMG00026-20110213-1534.jpg

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
He was embarassingly mucky on his legs as hubby had taken him for a mad blast across the fields the day before!
He was also sulking with me and refusing to look at the camera as I'd told him off for fidgeting whilst we finished off his face. Hence he's cuddling his dad and ignoring the camera (and therefore me!!).

Because he's the biggest horse on the yard and the first heavy horse I've ever owned I worry about keeping his weight at the right level. I've got nothing to compare him against as a TB he ain't and the yard is full of them!! Hence asking your opinions

Supertrooper

Visit site
I think he looks great! As the owner of another heavy (shire x cob) it's hard to get that fine line between right and fat. Ours I feel is now looking right with a combination of no rugs and feeding fibre only. We're also going to use a track system in the spring onwards to restrict his grass intake.

Petrified having already lost a cob with laminitis and then being told with this one that he was laminitis waiting to happen (when we got him in September he was very fat) and with a horse his size there would be no treatment :( hence the above measures!!

I wish I could post a pic but I'm not that technically minded but he is a very handsome boy and a real character xx

nikkimariet

Visit site
I think he looks just about perfect, and super super shiny!! I love the little piles of fuzz on the floor! (I love his big pink nose as well, one of my fave things about my guy Bruce) xoxo

Last edited:

Faro

Visit site
Mmmh - he's got a lovely gentle, wouldn't think of putting a foot wrong for Mummy look in his eye - but knowing Hovis as we do from his diaries, I am wondering just what he's REALLY thinking!

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
That picture was taken just before he set of hunting so I think he was thinking "Tally Ho!!"

Sometimes I feel SO mean because he doesn't have breakfast and only a tiny tea (pasture mix and chaff) whereas everything else on the yard is getting umpteen meals a day shoved down their neck!
I strip graze his field when the grass is good (which at this yard is almost all year - he's still not got access to his full field now and he's been in it since september!!).
He has between 14-16lbs of hay a night in winter in small hole haynets and then the occasional swede / carrots / parsnips which I have left over from sunday lunch.

I'm just so aware that boys his size weren't really meant to jump and whilst i don't jump him a lot or over any height (much to his disgust) its still a lot of weight coming down on his joints. I am debating a joint supplement now he's pretty much finished growing (I hope!!). What do you think?

His neck is just pure muscle and the rest of him isn't much better so I'm limited in what else i can do!!

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
He is b-e-a-utiful.
You think that is muddy? Want to swap? Fellas feathers currently look like dreadlocks! If you clean them up, he just thinks its a challenge to get them dirtier than before, so I have given up until the mud subsides!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
He was embarassingly mucky on his legs as hubby had taken him for a mad blast across the fields the day before!
He was also sulking with me and refusing to look at the camera as I'd told him off for fidgeting whilst we finished off his face. Hence he's cuddling his dad and ignoring the camera (and therefore me!!).

Because he's the biggest horse on the yard and the first heavy horse I've ever owned I worry about keeping his weight at the right level. I've got nothing to compare him against as a TB he ain't and the yard is full of them!! Hence asking your opinions

He is just right. He doesn't want to lose any weight. Looks fabulous.

nikkimariet

Visit site
That picture was taken just before he set of hunting so I think he was thinking "Tally Ho!!"

Sometimes I feel SO mean because he doesn't have breakfast and only a tiny tea (pasture mix and chaff) whereas everything else on the yard is getting umpteen meals a day shoved down their neck!
I strip graze his field when the grass is good (which at this yard is almost all year - he's still not got access to his full field now and he's been in it since september!!).
He has between 14-16lbs of hay a night in winter in small hole haynets and then the occasional swede / carrots / parsnips which I have left over from sunday lunch.

I'm just so aware that boys his size weren't really meant to jump and whilst i don't jump him a lot or over any height (much to his disgust) its still a lot of weight coming down on his joints. I am debating a joint supplement now he's pretty much finished growing (I hope!!). What do you think?

His neck is just pure muscle and the rest of him isn't much better so I'm limited in what else i can do!!

I wouldn't worry about being mean....Bruce was embarrassingly and dangerously fatty fatty bum bum at one point. Stripped his grazing right back, duct taped a muzzle to his face (not literally lol!) and he gets a spoonful of very watery speedi beet, and a handful of top spec (I think) in the morning and then the same in the evening + supplements and an armful of haylage overnight....very very mean and sparse feed! Mean is the way forward, since Bruce gets fat off thin air. xoxo

Katkin

Visit site
He's lovely - very like a friend of mine's horse - same expression. Can i ask what bit you are using and where it came from? Thanks:)

MochaDun

Visit site
Would he fit in a very large jiffy bag (with appropriate airholes obviously)? If so my address is............:D:D

I have read so much about him but the first time I've seen his pics, fantastic animal. :)

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
Can i ask what bit you are using and where it came from? Thanks:)

In the picture he's hunting in a Cheltenham gag.
In the school now he's back in a basic eggbutt snaffle but out hacking, jumping and hunting he's in his cheltenham.
Its the only bit he respects:
French Link = "yeehaa mum lets just ignore you completely"
Dutch gag = "Have i even got a bit in mum?"
Pelham = "I'll just tuck my neck in and run through it"

In fairness as he's got older he's getting less silly but if he choses to go you have no hope (he tanked off out cantering with his dad on saturday and my 6ft ex rugby playing husband was a mere passenger on the HMS Destroyer!!)

I got it from a local tack shop but most of the online places do sell them. They can also be called Old English Gag.

Spotsrock

Visit site
too thin, far too thin, clearly needs lots more grass and bigger feeds, oh and he looks starved of lady attention, needs some 1 to 1 time with various fit mares too IMO ((winks at Hovis and whispers 'how am I doing kid?'))

Seriously he looks fab! Nice to put a horse to the name.