HOYS Bag Ban

SmallPony

Visit site
Has anyone else seen the email telling people not to bring any bags with them to HOYS unless "essential"? And a no exceptions rule to your 'essential' bag being:

- No bigger than A4 in size (21cm x 30cm x 19cm)
- Maximum of 2 compartments
- Rucksacks are not permitted

Not sure how people with small children will manage? What about people who need to bring in baby formula etc? Also don't really fancy carrying a one shoulder bag all day - what makes 2 straps banned but one strap ok! Ridiculous imo, if you have satisfactory security measures what's the need!

Maybe I'm being cynical but I think they're hoping they will make a lot of money from charging people who haven't read the email the £12 for the bag storage and also people having to buy all their food and drinks in the arena rather than being able to bring much in.

scats

Visit site
The rucksack thing is an interesting one because it appears to stem from the fact that a lot of bag bombs are held in rucksacks (due to the weight, perhaps?)
My mum wears a small rucksack because she has a back problem and can’t have the uneven pressure of a handbag or side bag. At a concert she wasn’t allowed in with it, despite it being thoroughly checked inside and having one compartment. Yet I was allowed in with a much larger shoulder bag with multiple compartments.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Mum has a rucksack handbag. . best mention it.

I also take a 10l rucksack everywhere. Would def be taking my coat with the biggest pockets.

HashRouge

Visit site
I would be making sandwiches and keeping one in each bra cup.. You can tuck in a drinks bottle in the back of the waistband of your jeans and then with your jacket on you can't see that... Plus a twix in each jean pocket.
Nah, don't put the Twixes in your jean pockets, they'll melt.

SilverLinings

Visit site
RWHS is really hot on security and they check through your bags every time you go back on to the showground, but they've never dictated what type/size/quantity of bag is allowed. Even on the days the queen was there there were no restrictions (other than weapons obvs*).

*One year I asked a security guard at the gate whether they ever had to confiscate anything and he pulled out two big plastic buckets from under a table and they were full of knives, including some very large ones. I was horrified until he pointed out that they were a mixture of carving knives, cake knives and bread knives, and were all carried by people who had brought posh picnics!

holeymoley

Visit site
Well that’s us stuffed then. We flew down one year so husband had backpack of clothes etc(we stayed overnight) and I had a handbag plus a mini suitcase for purchases!

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I know it doesn't work for those on trains or flying, but when we've driven we've taken our food and headed back to the car for a picnic and a break! The food there is overpriced and not the nicest as you can imagine or already know.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We normally buy macdonalds breakfast on the way down then have a cake and coffee whilst there for lunch but if I remember rightly the toasted sandwiches are not bad, then we get takeaway food on the way home if we are hungry.

jnb

Visit site
I'm amused (sort of) by the Facebook gnashing and wailing about this - it's been a rule at large venues since the Manchester arena bombing. Unless people think for some reason that terrorists won't bother with horsey people?

If you need a big bag i.e as you're staying overnight maybe ask the hotel to keep it till you go home or use one of the bag drop off places.

Baby bags presumably will be thoroughly searched in for the above reasons, I can't see how they won't be allowed although I have to say the last place a baby will want to be is at HOYS and I don't suppose the show horses would be that happy either !

I'm only surprised that people aren't moaning they can't take their dog ("we always take it to Badminton!")

teapot

Visit site
I'm amused (sort of) by the Facebook gnashing and wailing about this - it's been a rule at large venues since the Manchester arena bombing. Unless people think for some reason that terrorists won't bother with horsey people?

You say that but you can effectively take a picnic with you into Wimbledon...

jnb

Visit site
Annoying though it may be that you can take a picnic into Wimbledon, HOYS is at the NEC so they make the rules. Just like anything, when you buy a ticket at a venue you agree to their T&Cs whether you like or agree with them or not.

You may not agree you should wear a hat and dress below the knee at Ascot, for instance, but you won't be allowed in unless you comply, ticket or not.

teapot

Visit site
Annoying though it may be that you can take a picnic into Wimbledon, HOYS is at the NEC so they make the rules. Just like anything, when you buy a ticket at a venue you agree to their T&Cs whether you like or agree with them or not.

You may not agree you should wear a hat and dress below the knee at Ascot, for instance, but you won't be allowed in unless you comply, ticket or not.

My point was it's not a rule at every large venue since the Manchester bombings ;)

Instead it sounds like HOYS (not the NEC - they don't set the rules for individual events) just want to make as much money as possible from forcing people to pay for overpriced food.

Last edited:

warriors26

New User
Visit site
The bag rule is from Resorts World Arena (different from the NEC) and is the same for all events held there so it's not a rule put in place by HOYS.

In terms of food, if you don't want to pay the prices in HOYS and don't mind a short walk, then Resorts World with all the restaurants is literally a 5 minute walk away.

humblepie

Visit site
And if you dash off to the loos, don't leave your coat on your seat- I did that it got taken by security. Thought it had been stolen.

Last edited:

flat3

Visit site
Phew, practicality prevails! I checked this morning and I don't even own a bag small enough to fit their tiny dimensions so that would have been interesting ?