HOYS today - shocked at 'professional's' behaviour

honetpot

Visit site
But it has been said No Reprimand from the higher ups, says a lot don't you think, well payed cushy jobs they don't want that to end. Pity the owners of the horse cann't see what he did was really bad for the horse and the sport they say they support, face it, it all comes down to money and plenty of, that is why I no longer watch Show Jumping, lost interest when Harvey Smith let one of his old horses go through a meat market and it had won a lot of money for him in it's past :(
I was a child in the 70's and spent most of my time watching the top riders take out their young horses out at local shows, and was thoroughly sickened by what I saw. At the time these were my hero's that I watched on TV, it stopped me watching it as I could not work out how it equated to the 'real life' that I saw. There is more money in it now so I think the need to be seen to do well and help sell the expensive pieces of kit takes over even more.

JCWHITE

Visit site
Hang on - opinions differ. Munchkin wrote: "Interesting that everyone I know who was actually THERE agrees this was nothing but a mid-strop horse falling over its own feet when the rider firmly reined it back after a stop." Maybe they had a better view; maybe a worse one. Maybe it's different interpretations based on different backgrounds/prejudices. Maybe we're all ridiculous people to a greater or lesser degree - who knows!

I was there and dont agree with the above. I have had a reply from the hoys press office who sent me the FEI version.

bakewell

Visit site
I'm not sure handing out infractions for criticism is a particularly persuasive way of putting your point across. Perhaps it adds a bit of weight to those accusations.

Tinypony

Visit site
I got one two. Not bad going on a very short post. I can't quite see how what I said went against any of their t+c's, but I guess someone's been jumping up and down. Not a problem, it's only a forum.

But... I would like to repeat an earlier question, which doesn't comment on Mr Showjumper in any way, shape or form -

"Incidentally, why would a horse get a quick tap and circle when it did nothing wrong? Why not just a circle?"

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
HOYS in general sounded one big mess, from threads that were written about it on here.

A show jumper giving an unpleasant display of riding (as mildly as I can put it), a hunter rearing and misbehaving, yet still being placed, then it turns out the rider is a judge, and pushy parents spoiling the children's show jumping class by being loud and unsporting.

I can't say it's sold it for me ever visiting it.

cptrayes

Visit site
HOYS in general sounded one big mess, from threads that were written about it on here.

A show jumper giving an unpleasant display of riding (as mildly as I can put it), a hunter rearing and misbehaving, yet still being placed, then it turns out the rider is a judge, and pushy parents spoiling the children's show jumping class by being loud and unsporting.

I can't say it's sold it for me ever visiting it.

I saw the first two.

But I also saw fantastic freestyle Inter I dressage by eight top class horses, a great speed class with the exception of Mr Maher, a fantastic five fence challenge, had really decent food at really acceptable prices, laughed my head off at the scurry pony pairs and their turnouts - (flashing wheels !!! :D) And had fun shopping in a village with plenty of space (unlike Olympia).

It was well worth the ticket price on the Friday :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Just had an email from one of Maher's sponsors, who sell shavings. They have had a word with Maher and are quite satisfied with his response. WTF ??

Just as well I haven't done my winter order for bedding yet. Looks like I'll be finding a different brand, which isn't difficult as I can find cheaper/better elsewhere.

Amicus

Visit site
But... I would like to repeat an earlier question, which doesn't comment on Mr Showjumper in any way, shape or form -

"Incidentally, why would a horse get a quick tap and circle when it did nothing wrong? Why not just a circle?"

Being generous to the poster who suggested it, maybe a quick tap intended to regain focus rather than as a punishment.

Not entirely sure though as I don't think it'd work for my boy!

*sprinkles*

Visit site
Haven't read all replies so not sure if someone has mentioned this ... I can understand that perhaps it appears excessive force was used but this certainly wasn't a result of "temper" on Ben Maher's part - you can see in the video that there was an arena steward standing very near to where the horse was headed after turning sharply following the refusal. Ben clearly goes to pull the horse up rather smartly to avoid trampling the guy, the horse turned at the same time and lost his balance. Yes, there were probably other ways to have handled this but I really do not see this as cruelty or poor sportsmanship rather a decision made in the heat of the moment to avoid an accident. Maybe not the best judgement call, but certainly with an intent to avoid harm not cause it.

Illusion100

Visit site
I still think at least a yellow card was warranted. I just can't get my head around someone being a steward at HOYS but hasn't the experience, common sense or self-preservation to get out of the way if a horse is heading directly towards them. The steward didn't look like he felt in harms way at all, so no need for BM to take the horses back teeth out, twice.

I'm also sure BM didn't get on this horse for the first time at HOYS, he will have known the horses 'difficult' temperament and that it may be volatile in such a charged atmosphere. Therefore best not to pour fuel on the fire if things go wrong, which is exactly IMO what he did, he handled the horse inappropriately and the FEI should have penalised, not backtracked due to an inexplicable reason (however money talks).

Last edited:

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
I still think at least a yellow card was warranted. I just can't get my head around someone being a steward at HOYS but hasn't the experience, common sense or self-preservation to get out of the way if a horse is heading directly towards them. The steward didn't look like he felt in harms way at all, so no need for BM to take the horses back teeth out, twice.

I'm also sure BM didn't get on this horse for the first time at HOYS, he will have known the horses 'difficult' temperament and that it may be volatile in such a charged atmosphere. Therefore best not to pour fuel on the fire if things go wrong, which is exactly IMO what he did, he handled the horse inappropriately and the FEI should have penalised, not backtracked due to an inexplicable reason (however money talks).

I agree he behaved in poorly and I agree with him deserving some form of punishment..BUT i think to say he KNEW the horse would be volatile is a little unfair as we all know horses are unpredictable animals as they are animals.

Not that this excuses him at all..and i don't want to sart a nitpicking argument just thinking and typing without filter :)

cptrayes

Visit site
Haven't read all replies so not sure if someone has mentioned this ... I can understand that perhaps it appears excessive force was used but this certainly wasn't a result of "temper" on Ben Maher's part - you can see in the video that there was an arena steward standing very near to where the horse was headed after turning sharply following the refusal. Ben clearly goes to pull the horse up rather smartly to avoid trampling the guy, the horse turned at the same time and lost his balance. Yes, there were probably other ways to have handled this but I really do not see this as cruelty or poor sportsmanship rather a decision made in the heat of the moment to avoid an accident. Maybe not the best judgement call, but certainly with an intent to avoid harm not cause it.

I'm sorry, but I was there in the flesh with a direct view and the second pull looked EXACTLY like it was done in temper. The horse had already backed off the official and he had space to turn her at that point but he certainly appeared to haul her backward off balance.

Last edited:

Illusion100

Visit site
I agree he behaved in poorly and I agree with him deserving some form of punishment..BUT i think to say he KNEW the horse would be volatile is a little unfair as we all know horses are unpredictable animals as they are animals.

Not that this excuses him at all..and i don't want to sart a nitpicking argument just thinking and typing without filter :)

I did say 'may be volatile' under the circumstances, not that he knew it would! ;)

He is at the top of his game on seasoned horses (at this level). This will not have been the first time a horse has refused with him, I would have liked to have seen a more dignified and sporting attitude. I'm a fan of Eventing and if Mark Todd (any other world class rider) did this, I would be appalled. They should know better (I hope!).

vanrim

Visit site
I have a feeling that if a top dressage rider had done this there would be outrage and the rider would have been reprimanded.

*sprinkles*

Visit site
I'm sorry, but I was there in the flesh with a direct view and the second pull looked EXACTLY like it was done in temper. The horse had already backed off the official and he had space to turn her at that point but he certainly appeared to haul her backward off balance.

Well I apologise and I guess you know best seeing it close up and all. I'm certainly now convinced that an experienced professional would behave this way in front of a huge crowd for pretty much zero reason, not to mention that he would have the strength to pull a horse right over backward ...

*sprinkles*

Visit site

People can be as unpredictable as horses !!