Huge bouncy trot

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
I've been riding for a few years but have never experienced this problem before. Yesterday I rode a lovely Breton mare. She was gorgeous but I found her trot so huge it felt as though I was being thrown a good foot into the air!! Can anyone , please, tell me how to ride a trot like this? Is it just a matter of getting used to it or are there techniques I should learn. I'm thinking of buying the mare and in every other way she seems perfect.

Sal_E

Visit site
Just a case of getting used to it really! You will though, don't let it put you off. It will help to have some lessons with someone who can help give you pointers on absorbing the movement (for example, try to drop your heel by flexing at the ankle when you rise so that some of the movement goes down, not up) - also some no-stirrups work will help just as you need to work on your balance a bit. Also, I don't know how well schooled the horse is, but if it's tight through the back it may make it feel 'harder' - again, something that can be worked on.

It will definitely come & shouldn't take too long. Do you have an instructor that could come to view the horse with you again?

Enfys

Visit site
As the others say. My Paint has a big trot, not high, just floaty, I ride western so don't generally post anyway, and on my mare it is horrid. I sit, relax and just 'go with the flow' it took a long time to get used to her paces.

A video clip if I can get it on here: