Huge over reaction to Regumate - trying to give it the mare

_jetset_

Visit site
This is in quite a few forums as I am at a complete loss
frown.gif

This morning was the first time I have tried to give Grace Regumate and it is not a task I look forwards to again
blush.gif

I put 12ml, as instructed, into a small feed and placed it on the floor in front of her. She sniffed it, touched it and then reared up, spun around and shot to the back of her stable. I walked over to her with the bucket wondering what the hell she was doing, and she reared up again, struck out at me, spun around and kicked out!

This is the first time she has ever ever acted in a violent way towards me!

I took the bucket out (in a bit of shock and feeling a bit shaky because how she missed me I do not know) and then put some Healthy Hoof in a different bucket as she can be a real fussy eater and I did not want her to think her tea (which has all her vits and supplements in) was the same and refuse to eat it, which has been known.

As soon as I went in with the bucket she shot to the back of the stable and stood shaking with her eyes rolling
frown.gif
I put the bucket down and started hand feeding her which she accepted immediately. 20 minutes later she would let me approach her with the bucket and 30 minutes later she was finally eating out of it.

Any suggestions how on earth I can get the Regumate into her???

Penniless

Visit site
Have only ever given it via vets instructions - which is draw the right amount into a syringe and give it to her orally. Make sure you're wearing gloves yourself.

Gingernags

Visit site
I'm sure ours was just in feeds, but its years ago now... it was my sisters mare but she was too wussy to handle it! Big sis to the rescue...

Can't remeber giving it like wormer in a syringe - it was just in feed and she scoffed it. Can you try masking it with garlic or mint? Peppermint cordial is good...

_jetset_

Visit site
No no... I got a fresh bucket, just put some Healthy Hoof in it and some Fibre Beet and tried to get her to eat that which is what I fed by hand
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... Unfortunately I do not have anyone who can administer other than myself on a daily basis so it has to be me doing it
frown.gif
And I definitely do not need any help on the boobie side of things
tongue.gif

Ideally, it would make life easier if she would eat it... perhaps after having it syringed she might start to get less of a reaction to the Regumate???

sallyf

Visit site
We always syringe it down them as some dont seem to like it in there feed.
Always have a pair of latex gloves on though as it is oil based and seeps into the skin very easily

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Is it porcine regumate B??

I would reduce the amount to around 5 or even 3 mls and then build the dose up over a fortnight.

You can decant in to an old well cleaned out medice bottle and add it to her feed little by little using an old syringe. Do add sugar beet as this will help with the palatibility until she gets used to it.

birchave0

Visit site
my little mare has been on Regumate for 2 months now, I can't understand your mare's reaction as mine wolfed it done first time. It doesn't have any smell and is oil based so I'm baffled why you got this reaction
confused.gif

We are using the porcine version which comes in a can with a pump dispenser, I just stick a handful of healthy hoof in her bucket on squirt of Regumate (5ml) and she gobbles it up. As someone has said try a small amount then build up to the dose you require, try some black treacle or malasses to make it more attractive.

Also be careful when handling it, it will still absorb through latex gloves so use rubber ones instead. I must say though it is grand stuff as my little horse is now a changed woman
laugh.gif

annaverrall

Visit site
My mare has been on regumate for two weeks now. She is a fussy feeder normally to the point i have to water bute down and give it to her via a syringe if she has to have it. She used to do the trick of holding the contents in her mouth for minutes, i walk away and she would spit it all out.

I thought i would have trouble with regumate so i syringe it to her every morninng. She laps it up and now i can give it to her in her feed.
I cant explain your mares reaction.
Hopefully she will come acustom to it. What goes on in horses brains i do not know