Huge reoccurring chest abscess in mare

Flyingsolo

Visit site
About 18 months ago, I discovered a small, hard lump on the front of my mares chest towards her left armpit which days later burst and had discharge. It went away but since then it has continually reoccurred on a 4-6 month basis. The same pattern happens.
Fast forward to now, it has been a really long time since the last one and I assumed the body had done what it needed to do and cleared it through. However, over the past few weeks, it started appearing again. It starts with the area becoming firm and then, painful and then it bursts. The swelling stage can last for a good few weeks. However, this time, it just grew and grew and grew. It was extremely painful for her and the size of half a melon, it burst was leaking pus and blood and the exit track out was quite big. This time, the vet decided to clip the area, and scan it and could see a huge amount of very thick pus. She confirmed it was behind the pectoral muscle and that the pus was spread out behind the muscle.

The track out that the abscess takes and breaks open each time is the same hole every time and the exit hole is high up, which obviously makes it really difficult for the pus to fully escape on its own. The vet decided to try open it up at the bottom of the abscess to give it somewhere more suitable to exit.

However, after two different incisions through the pectoral muscle, the vet just couldn't get deep enough to release the abscess lower down. She flushed it through with Iodine.

I'm really emotional about this - maybe unreasonably.

There was so much blood and because the incisions weren't successful, I feel like we have cut through the pectoral muscle and damaged her further for no reason, but I guess she had to be treated.

Was there another option? Her chest is in a right mess. I'm due to be flushing this twice a day with Iodine, but my mare absolutely will not tolerate me going anywhere near this lump, she wouldn't even before the vet came so now it's more painful, it's a total no-go. I even tried with sedation today but it absolutely did nothing and she continued trying to kill me.
The vet has advised that I just continue with the oral antibiotics and bute and keep any eye on her, if I can keep the exit holes open then great but I just can't get near this lump. So I can't do anything to it.

The vet discussed that whatever has caused it, due to the fact that it keeps reoccurring, it's likely that a cavity has formed in the chest which could potentially have a foreign body in it and that if this continues to reoccur, she will have to have a hospital stay and they will need to open it up investigate, clean it out and stitch the muscles back together to get rid of the cavity.

I feel terrible for her, that this could have been a much bigger and painful issue going on inside her than I realised and I only really ever noticed it when it bubbled to the surface. But I guess it could have been rumbling under the muscle for literally months.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this successfully please? I feel really down trodden over it.

Thanks for any replies.

PurBee

Visit site
Has your vet tested for viruses/inflammation markers in blood?

I ask, as the location is right where lymph nodes group, and if there’s a rumbling virus, it may well be congested lymph fluid collecting there and unable to drain due to blocked lymph nodes.

Just an idea, it could be a foreign body like a large blackthorn, if she grazes hedges and pushes into them to graze deeper - some thorns from bushes can cause an almighty reaction.
Or if she's had vaccines recently, a reaction to that may cause an immune system reaction, and resulting excess lymph node/fluid activity.

Sorry youre going through this, its hard when they arent easy patients and wont let us easily treat them. Fingers crossed the AB’s do their job.

ETA - just realised this is an 18month old reaction - id discount thorns as the body pushes them out eventually. I’d want viral testing at this stage.

TheMule

Visit site
I think I’d want her assessed at a larger referral practice personally. My boy recently went in for a lump investigation and they were extremely thorough- they just have access to better kit and expertise than the vets out on the road. If it needs surgical intervention then I’d get that done asap personally

Nicnac

Visit site
They need to find the cause. Friend had similar and after a few years of recurrent chest abscesses between her horse's front legs a 6" piece of wood came out. He must have staked himself as a foal. Once that was extracted and healed up, he never had another abcess.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Absolutely agree with the above posters - this mare needs a proper investigation at this stage, she's uncomfortable/in pain. Don't beat yourself up OP, it's grumbled on for ages without causing too many problems. Now it is causing a big problem. I don't think anyone would have suggested a referral any earlier, really.

TPO

Visit site
I had similar, but it was a reoccurring abscess on the front of a pastern.

Initial vet practice were beyond useless. They made all sorts of wrong diagnoses and advised me to sue the vet that did the vetting (this occurred a couple of weeks after getting her home).

I got her referred to hospital for investigations. Samples, xrays and scans didn't reveal anything so they wanted to do exploratory surgery.

They thought it was cancer and if that's what they found when they opened her up they weren't going to bring her around.

It transpired that two tiny bits of grit had gotten in and were causing all that irritation. They flushed it out and stitched her up and it didn't reoccur.

Thoughts are with you, it's so stressful when they are broken and in pain

TPO

Visit site
I think (if you can afford it/covered on insurance) she should be referred and go and stay at an equine hospital. They can do all the cleaning out that needs doing and investigate further. It’ll put your mind at rest too. Although I realise it will be expensive.

If you've got a uni hospital near you they are generally cheaper.

This year I've had a horse hospitalised for a week and had 3 return visits for check ups. The stay wasn't even half as much as I expected and the check ups have been half the price that the useless equine practice who ignored/misdiagnosed the issue

misst

Visit site
OP if that was a person with a large excessively painful abscess no one would dream of irrigating it with iodine without a GA or heavy sedation. I would want that level of relief for my horse - it must be agony for her. I'm not blaming your vet but it's time to move to the next level. She needs proper investigation and drainage and analgesia. I suspect a referral centre would not be doing an acutely painful procedure without adequate pain relief.

ponynutz

Visit site
Nothing to add as agree with everyone else - I think she possibly needs to be referred now. Wanted to just say good luck and I'm sure everything will all work out because you sound very (understandably) stressed x

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I 100% agree with others: hospital treatment is the appropriate course of action now. I knew a mare that ran into a gatepost and got a large splinter of wood imbedded in her chest. This was disclosed by ultrasound and successfully removed but some wadding from her rug that didn’t show on the ultrasound remained in the wound which didn’t heal until a thorough investigation was undertaken in hospital. Wishing you all the best with this distressing situation.

irishdraft

Visit site
Sounds awful for you & your mare OP I agree with others, get your mare into a equine hospital sounds like a foreign body has got well & truly embedded & flushing with iodine doesn't sound right, I would have thought it would be far too harsh. I hope you can get to the bottom of it x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sounds awful for you & your mare OP I agree with others, get your mare into a equine hospital sounds like a foreign body has got well & truly embedded & flushing with iodine doesn't sound right, I would have thought it would be far too harsh. I hope you can get to the bottom of it x
Years ago 1st aiders in schools were told to stop using iodine on wounds because it could kill off the tissues, Salt water was recommended, as it always has been by my vet.

tristar

Visit site
i would get the greenest cabbage leaves i could find and tape them on the lump somehow, it should help to draw out any gunge,

it is harmless, painless effective

then rush to phone and ring every uni hospital, they are generally very helpful

i would start with bristol.

flush with dilute salt water, boiled and cooled, you could use a large plastic syringe to squirt it on, i would not poke it, get help now

good luck

Reactions: tda