Huge slap in the face... so p*ssed off...

Gingernags

Visit site
I just knew something like this would happen.

Some of you may remember that last year, one of the kids at our old yard was getting picked on a bit. She's just gone from a 14hh pony to a 16hh young and green horse and was just taking it easy getting him going well, but the nasties at the livery yard said she was losing her bottle. Utter bollox really.

Anyway, she'd ridden Asti before so I offered her the chance to compete Asti alongside him, as a kind of bridge between a smaller pony, a little horse at 15hh (Asti) and her new one. And she (and her parents) jumped at the chance.

So we did some small shows and she got quite a few wins and places, then the county one, and she won an open show hunter which qualified them for the BSPS championships if we joined within 7 days. They were as chuffed about it as us and so we joined. When I say we, I paid for the fees for me as owner, her as rider and my sister paid for Asti cos I was a bit skint!

Since then, I've paid out to change my tack to havana - new show bridle, show saddle, numnahs, girths, loads of "showing essentials", even getting her measured which I've never bothered with, doesn't affect what I do. We've gone to bigger and more expensive shows than we've ever done and again I've paid for everything - all the entries, I've taken them so the diesel etc and it all adds up and up.

The rider, R, said it wouldn't be a problem as she'd decided not to show her horse this year, she'd concentrate on Asti. So I double checked before I paid this years membership that yes, she really, really wanted to do this championships. I checked again before the championship entries closed (£250 quids worth of fees). Everything was on course.

Then a couple of weeks ago her horse threw a shoe and she couldn't get it back on before a Pony Club ODE. No problem - I let her take Asti. I've asked a few times - and they said, no it wouldn't affect the championships. Several shows we were going to do to get practice in, we've now missed as she was doing the PC stuff. We've even paid for SJ lessons - admittedly only 2 so far but a friend paid for the 1st as she recommended the instructor, and I paid for the second.

And now we get to the biggie. BSPS champs, we are travelling down on 22 August. She has a class a day on Wed 23, Thur 24, Fri 25 and Sat 26 then we come home. Well that was the plan. But over the weekend her PC team qualified for the PC Dressage and PC ODE championships. And guess what? Its the same weekend. We have been "told" by her dad that she can do Wed and Thurs but on Friday she's going to Cheshire to do the dressage on Saturday and the ODE on Sunday.

I am absolutely gutted. He decided to tell my sister this last night BY TEXT and when she said hang on a minute, this is all arranged, he said its wasn't that R didn't want to do it but this was something on her own horse that she's worked for.

I feel like they have slapped me in the face. I know this is her own horse but she's 16. She has years to do the PC stuff still. This is a one off and they promised me time and time again that she really wanted to do this and yes they were definately going to do it.

The thing that pees me off the most, other than being horribly let down - is what this has cost all of us involved. Not just in cold hard cash (It has cost me at a rough guess in excess of £1200 since September) but its caused arguments between me and sister, friend and OH. We have been getting slagged off something rotten which I know shouldn't matter but its still bl**dy hurtful to be on the end of. I've been really, really hard up every month because of the stuff I've been paying for, literally doing without lunch some days because I haven't had the cash. Can't afford a holiday. Can't afford to go out, OH has been paying for my drinks a fair bit just so he can go out and have some fun. Its been really hard. Plus there is the time we've spent. The friend has been helping for nothing, giving R tips, running through shows, giving her flatwork sessions, helping school Asti, helping bath and plait (especially sister) and missing other things I'd normally do for these bigger shows.

Totally gutted. I know we'll still get to do 2 or even 3 days but the shine has been taken off it and I'm now wondering why on earth I should bother. I'm soooooo tempted to send her Dad a bill for the entry fees and membership fees. But how on earth am I supposed to just get on with it and go as if nothing had happened?

So let down. Won't be bothering letting anyone "borrow" Asti again. I can't believe they've done that to us after all the hard work.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Oh god GM, how awful.
frown.gif
It sounds like you've put in so much hard work. Can you send a bill to the girls parents for the entry fees they've wasted?

*hugs*

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
Hon.. there no way you could find another rider? There must be some fall back as riders can get ill etc

It is a big slap in the face though... even if it's not a maliciously intended one - of course she wants to do well on both horses - but hers is hers so he comes first.

Doesn't stop you feeling gutted though...

*huggles*

Ash the arab

Visit site
I can't believe that someone could be so ignorant to all the efforts you have gone too!
I would be absolutely fuming!!
Like you say it's not just the cash (although that is a hell of alot of money for you to pay out), but the generosity of your time, and your horse to someone so ungrateful!
The worst of it is that there would be so many people out there who would die for the oportunity you have given her!

dieseldog

Visit site
Can you find someone else to ride her for you? I would def. get her dad to pay for the entry fees etc.

Some people are just not worth helping or being nice to. I'm really sorry this has happened to you. You need to find someone else for your horse and put every jinx going on her so that she totally messes up the PC stuff. Childish I know.

wodger_woo

Visit site
That seems really ungrateful.
TBH maybe they haven't realised how much all of this has cost you, I think you should have a chat with them and just tell them everything you have put here......hopefully they will see sense and at least reimburse you some of the entry fees.

X

xspiralx

Oh my GOD GM, what an ungrateful little so-and-so! Can't believe they have the nerve to do that to you - I mean it was more than generous for you to offer the ride to start with, let alone PAY for anything!

Definitely think you should send them a bill for the entry fees, or demand that she rides for you [you are paying for the "privilege" after all] and if they refuse, send them the bill! And never let the ungrateful little madam on your horse again!

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hon.. there no way you could find another rider? There must be some fall back as riders can get ill etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Owner, rider and horse have to be members at the time of qualification. Plus the class she misses on the Saturday is the Harry Hall Best Rider whish SHE qualified for rather than the horse.

TBH I don't know anyone else who is the right age and a member of the BSPS. This was all done for R really and worked around her or we'd never have done any of it. I wouldn't have bought 2 havana saddles and bridles and still be stuck with the black tack to sell, I'd be getting a holiday and Asti would be in foal now (I've even put that back a year)

Oh and the stabling and entry fees aren't even refundable. But if we go anyway, I've got the diesel to pay for to get us to Peterborough and back (340 mile round trip) and keeping me while I'm down there, and 4 days holiday from work...

Not a happy bunny
frown.gif

0ldmare

Visit site
Poor you, that really is unbelievable, but I am SURE you could get a good rider to show Asti. Most of the professionals end up with multiple horses in a class and they beg and borrow riders all over the place. If you have a showing yard nearby I would approach them. Otherwise I am convinced you would find someone at the show. The good part is that you are there for several days before you need to find a rider. There are so many good little riders at these shows all desperate to get in the ring. Also look on one of the showing web sites eg www.theshowring.co.uk
Just assume you will find someone and chat to everyone at the ring side who rides well!!

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Get that bill written out!
mad.gif
I would be so angry too.

I would be telling them to stick with their PC activities and finding another rider. We have a lovely young rider at our yard if you want me to ask her.

I would rather not go at all than let her ride the rides she wants to and then tootle off to leave you in the lurch. Do some people just not think?

It makes me so mad
mad.gif
I am gutted for youa fter all your efforts.....and Asti's too

Gingernags

Visit site
I don't think I'd put Asti through it TBH. I love her to bits and everyone thinks she's such a genuine mare but she is a ginge after all, and she can get really "funny" with some people.

R loves her to bits and rides her very well, so I don't think I'd find another rider for her in such a short space of time, that would do her justice and wouldn't wind her up. Especially if it was for the whole thing as she has a worker at the start and they are big fences, and thats why we're paying for lessons - there is a knack to jumping the ginger spacehopper, you have to ask, and not hold her back, and that's not necessarily easy!

The instructor loves Asti, says she gets R out of anything, doesn't need holding together as she does it all herself, she just needs to be "allowed" and she jumps really nicely, and apparently with a lot of style! If anyone else got on and tried to "ride" or "tell" her, they would be on the floor.

Its touching wood but R is the only person Asti hasn't put an evil stop in for. Even if she's wrong for a fence, or it looks massive or scary, she will jump anything if R asks.

I guess at the end of the day, we've had some good days out for the money I've spent and got a few rosettes and cups. The rugs I've bought to keep her coat a bit better, well I love collecting rugs! The show saddle won't lose money and the others will eventually sell... (I have 4 and really need to sell the black 2!). So its just the cost of these championships. Her Dad already had said he'd pay the stabling (£130) but he never has yet.

Just need to pick myself back up now, I guess 3 days are better than none.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
*sigh*

Send Daddyo the bill.

Then, perhaps complain to the PC event organisers - what is the frigging point of putting a PONY CLUB even that clashes with a BSPS event? When a lot of the riders are going to be children?!!

One of those events is going to be caught short!!!

Kelly1982

Visit site
i would explain to them all what you have paid out and ask them to refund you on the entry fees if their daughter is not going to do it.

That is bang out of order IMO!!!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
God, how inconsiderate and rude! I would be very, very tempted to send them the bill!!
mad.gif

I would love for you to find another rider to compete Asti for the rest of the year, leaving the ungrateful, selfish basstads to their own devices!

spaniel

Visit site
Have you sat down with the parents and told them everything you have put in your original post?

If they arent prepared to do the full week BSPS then I really think you should be getting a portion of the fees back from them, after all Asti was 'booked' to do this before the pony club qualifier came up.

It would be a shame to fall out over this BUT I think you need to distance yourself from the duaghter and the parents now.....she will be off and running with her own horse this summer so you need to be the one taking advantage of the money and time spent on Asti, not them.

Sparklet

Visit site
Someone may have the answer to this one but you mention that she borrowed Asti for the pony club ODE because her horse lost a shoe. Would that have been the qualifier for the Championship ODE she is doing on the Sunday?

Surely she needs to ride the same horse i.e. Asti at the Championship?

katelarge

Visit site
Why not at least try to find another rider? You might be suprised that having another rider has made your mare a lot more willing to accept new riders. Or could you ride her yourself?

It's a real shame and I have to say they have milked you for all you're worth. I know you are steaming, but is there any way you could talk them round? Basically, tell them what you've just told us, esp the point about her having more years in PC to achieve what she wants?

It sounds like her family are pushing her ie, "we pay xxx for that horse's livery madam so you'll compete your own horse" - do they realise the expense you have gone to? Maybe if you explain it in very simple terms they will understand? I think you do need to have a chat where you tell them all this and break down each cost. If you are prepared to go for the jugular this could be a potential small claim, but if you had no written agreement for her to share in costs then you have, legally, not a leg to stand on.

Please try and find another rider for the classes where the horse has qualified, it will be a bit of stress in the short term finding someone but might all work out, and save you the hurt you are feeling now...

Gingernags

Visit site
Sadly she only used Asti for their "practice" ODE though it was a rather large event.

She actually qualified with her own horse on Saturday and Sunday (as in yesterday and the day before).

Will have to have a good long think about it.

BTW - can't remember who said it - I'm waaaaay to old to do it myself! Have to be under 25, possibly less than that!

briardy

Visit site
just so bad feelings don t fester.....i think you must bill them the rider membership ; all entry fees(even the ones shes now ducked out of !),stabling &travel expenses.
you ve been generous enough to awknowledge that R hasn t been all bad & some costs can eventually be redeemed......but you really have carried this girl to the extent that its cost you more than a professional ridder probably would have!
confused.gif

the fact shes been ungrateful enough to be so selfish to disregard all the support you ve given her freely
mad.gif
i think you now need to put things on a more buisness like footing ...and give her & her parents a much needed wake up call
blush.gif
with a fully itemised bill!!....DO IT!!!
wink.gif
wink.gif

HunterJumper

New User
Visit site
I suggest you send a bill to the parents, explaining what each is for and how much work and running around you have done. Also petrol money.
They have made a commitment so should stick to it, after all they had commited to this and on several occasions you had asked if they are still doing it.

I would also distance yourself from them, maybe see if there is someone else who could ride him?

You have been overally generous to them with the amount of time, money and usuing your horse and it seems they have thrown it back in their face. Explain to them how much you have forked out and maybe it may change their mind. Good luck

ruscara

Visit site
As well as all the time, money and effort you have put into this, you have been robbed of seeing your horse do well! It is all so disappointing. I wonder whether R and her family have any idea how much you have spent? I think it would be a good idea to tell them how out of pocket you are, and how disappointed and see if they offer any contribution. I would - but then I wouldn't have let you down in the first place. I just can't understand some people.
frown.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I'd be b**** fuming too.
I bet from their point of view you haven't done them a favour, they will have added value on to your horse in their eyes, which is why they have the cheek to say what they have.
At the end of the day the horse has qualified, and after the comp just smartly withdraw the horse from them and keep your dignity.
I would however write down every single thing you have spent and point out to them afterwards that you feel it's only fair they pay the class fees they have decided not to do.
I understand your frustration completely, ignorant arrogant selfish brat springs to mind...

Theresa_F

Visit site
I too would be annoyed.

Send them a bill - even if they don't pay it maybe they will realise what you have paid out.

Try to find another rider and even they do compete, after this event withdraw her from them.

Have you tried the showring forum - maybe you could find a rider there.

Some people don't realise how lucky they are. There are people out there who would give you their back teeth to compete a quality horse.