Huge stable - bedding/matting Q

Rana

Visit site
May be moving to a new stable soon, which has a MASSIVE stable (sorry to shout but it's huge
grin.gif
). Not sure of exact dimensions but prob 20' x 20'.

Currently have rubber matting down in an 11.5 x 11.5 stable. I keep a full shavings bed on top of this (I know, I know, horses don't nest, she doesn't need it, but I like it, so there
tongue.gif
)

So, if I move to this bigger stable, what do I do with my bed and matting? I can't afford any more mats, or to fully bed the stable, so I was thinking about a half bed going across the back wall.

Should I put my mats at the back, under the bed, and leave concrete at the front? Should I put my mats at the front and give her a bigger bed on concrete at the back? Should I try to spread the mats out a bit? She wouldn't need mats under her banks, but then I'd be worried about bedding getting under the mats and causing them to lift up.

Opinions please, with reasons
smile.gif

CBFan

Visit site
I have a similar sized stable - about 15ft x 20. I tried the matting at the back under the bedding but because my boy stands at the front to eat, his feet were getting worn away on the concrete - he's unshod. So I moved the matting to the front and just put a slightly deeper straw bed at the back with a few shavings underneath to help soak up the wee... much better!

Olliecp77

Visit site
Lucky duck! I was in a huge stable at my first yard (converted cow byer hence size) and I put my mats in the corner on one side and bedded over that and banked that corner only. Maybe throw a few handfuls of badding around the rest if bare concrete. Put hay in the opposite corner and then hopefully they won't mess it all up. I put one mat at the door for him to stand gazing out.

gummybear

Visit site
I only have a couple of matts as cant afford more, so I have put them across the front of the stable so he stands on them then any hay that he has doesnt tend to get mixed up in his bed, then a decent shavings bed at the back.

ThePony

Visit site
Hi,
Unless the concrete is really slippy or anything, then I would have the mats under the bed at the back of the stable. I do this with my girl and it seems to suit her well. It leaves her a nice space at the front to have her food and water, and a nice bed at the back. I like the mats under her bed as when she lies down I think it helps her stand up again if she has the mats to help against slipping. The bed at the back also means that when she wonders around (she does this so much more with a larger stable) she doesn't drag her bed around quite so much (is still rather a messy so and so though!). I do have one rubber mat as a walk way going into her stable as it has a slight slope, so I worry about her having a slip when she is in a rush to get in or out!
Goodness, rather a long answer!! hth

checkmate1

Visit site
I think matting at the front- for her to stand on and so she doesen't slip etc- esp as this is I imagine where her hay will be so she will be there quite alot. Deep shavings at the back- we used to manage without rubbermatting so I'm sure she will be fine!
I am so jealous- Ive got a 10ftx12ft for my 16.1 we'd love it to be twicw the size! (btw am another full bed on rubber matting type person
smirk.gif
)

Wheels

Visit site
lol

maybe if you put less bedding in you'd be able to afford more mats?

Anyways - I'd be inclined to put the mats & the bedding at the back and then leave the concrete at the front

Rana

Visit site
lol Wheels, not at £30 a mat I couldn't
smile.gif
Although if you'd like to put a case together that I could convince my OH with, I'd be very grateful
grin.gif

Thanks all, mix of opinions so still undecided
crazy.gif

EmmaJaneWilliams

Visit site
I'm very lucky also have massive stable, and I deep litter (only the wet, very dry on top lots of straw) with straw and shavings mix with rubber matting at the front of the stable has worked well for the past 3 years and only use 2 bales of straw a week!

jnb

Visit site
I'd be inclined to put the mats at the front and big bed at the back.
I have 28mm Equimats and a huge bed too - so there!
I use less shavings and horsy is lovely and clean and happy (grey cob!) and sleeps (well, lies down) an awful lot.

Rana

Visit site
Thanks all. She is cleaner with a bigger bed so I think I'm going for deep bed at the back, mats at the front, and any left over mats under the bed.

Kezz, have PM'd you
smile.gif

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
lol Wheels, not at £30 a mat I couldn't
smile.gif
Although if you'd like to put a case together that I could convince my OH with, I'd be very grateful
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what mats you buy. You HAVE 132 square feet of mats - you need an extra 268 square feet - which is ABOUT 21 4'x3' mats. if you got Fieldguard M8 mats, the extra mats would cost under £300.

Or is your mats are TOO different to the M8, sell them and do the whole box in M8 (they are GREAT! Soft, relatively light as in 4' x3' size, good underneath drainage, don't lift or shift. A 20 x 20 box done completely in new M8 would cost you £460 - and they really only need enough bedding to give a place to pee!

Sacrifice the full bed of shavings - save a bale a week (at least!) That's at LEAST £6 a week - you'll pay for the mats with the saving in bedding alone - let alone labour - in one year. The mats will last at least 10 years!! Even my OH - who is as tight as they come - saw the sense in THAT!!

I wouldn't want a box part-matted! Bedding gets under them, they will slip - you'll waste hours a week heaving them around and cleaning under!!