human knee replacements

mighty attom

Visit site
hi, has anyone or anyone you know had this done? My father is facing facts that he can`t put it off any longer. If I could give him some positive stories that would be great. thankyou for reading this.

mon

Visit site
Friend of mine just had her second one done not pleasant but she is very overweight not a nice week for her but had clips out today so should progress now.

BurlingtonBertie

Visit site
My dad had his done 5 weeks ago. It's going to be a long healing process but the pain he had before has completely gone. Just few other pains. Lots of icing, elevation etc and I guess follow the advice of the physios. Hope it goes well for him, I think a full knee replacement heals better than a half knee. X

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My mum has had both done now. The second was done last summer. She was fine in and out relatively quickly, I cant remember exactly but maybe 4 days?
She's back dog walking and going to the gym- being out and about as she enjoys but was previously unable to do.
She had trouble driving, standing sleeping etc before the second operation so its improved her quality of life.
I think the only really bad side was it was quite painful just after the operation and she was given Morphine which dis-agreed with her however that's not going to be the same with everyone.
So scary though I don't blame your dad- Is there any chance he might get it done privately?

callie

Visit site
Glad I've read this as my mum is waiting to have one of her knees done soon. She was told she would only be in for 3 days and they get you up and moving the same day as the op. She was told as long as she does as the physios tell her then it should be successful. Nothing can be as bad as she is now as she is in agony all the time :(.

dalesslave

Visit site
my grandad is hopefully having his right knee done this minute (at work so havent heard anything since this morning) and he had a bad stroke 18 yrs ago which has knackered his left side does anybody have any ideas about exercises and things he can do to keep him motivated which he can do sat down particularly involving his trial hounds (i want to break them to harness but i'm not sure there substantial enough!) or books on trail hounds etc to break the boredom he's always been incredibly active despite his useless left side?

ITPersonnage

Visit site
Very interested in this as I'm heading in this direction. Would love to hear how long you have to be out of action and not riding, assuming all goes well of course. I'm 48 and not particularly overweight.

idx

Visit site
What age have people had their knee replacements - my mum needs one but keeps being told she is too young as they dont want to do it twice. She is 71!

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
My mil had one 3 years ago. She is 62 now. In and out in three days but she is a tough old bird lol. You need to be religious with your exercises, get it bending and straightening (totally straight) straight away. Take your pain relief so that you can get up and about and do prep strengthening exercises.

Oh and do as your physio says (I'm a physio tee her).

She's not looked back since, although she says she wouldn't go through it again, I don't know why this is as she couldn't leave the house before it was so painful and she can now do 10 mile walks in Norfolk.

I wouldn't say 71 is too young. You need to get the use out of it. Get a second opinion. My dad has just done this for his hip and needs it replacing (he's 61).

pizzi

Visit site
hi, has anyone or anyone you know had this done? My father is facing facts that he can`t put it off any longer. If I could give him some positive stories that would be great. thankyou for reading this.

Had a replacement 5 years ago. Seemed okay but then ended up with another 4 operations/stays in hospital , once with septicaemia. It was a painful operation and I lost quite a lot of the mobility and bend from the knee. However, it did help the pain but I am still not pain free. Saying that I was riding today, with the difficulty being in dismounting!

pansymouse

Visit site
My Mum is 83 and had hers done just over two weeks ago. She was mobile pretty much straight away and is moving OK and can even manage stairs. She has pain in the knee and says it's worse than her hip replacement but the physio is very pleased with her mobility and progress. The op was done in a private hospital on the NHS and she said the whole experience was far better than her hip replacement when she ended up with bed sores and a serious infection.

Sarah20

Visit site
I know so many success stories...well to be fair I only know success stories! Do you know where she will be having it done?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
my grandad is hopefully having his right knee done this minute (at work so havent heard anything since this morning) and he had a bad stroke 18 yrs ago which has knackered his left side does anybody have any ideas about exercises and things he can do to keep him motivated which he can do sat down particularly involving his trial hounds (i want to break them to harness but i'm not sure there substantial enough!) or books on trail hounds etc to break the boredom he's always been incredibly active despite his useless left side?

Off topic, but I don't know of any dog breed that can't be broken to harness, it is only about adjusting the size and weight of what it is that you want them to pull, so that it suits your adult dog/dogs.

eoanct.gif

cassiefncycrt.jpg

daxchshund-carting.jpg

scamper_cart.jpg

rain1.jpg

75.png

Some of the later replies on Misterjay's thread about Dogging! from All About Dogs have some good links http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=612323, and my first reply (no. 19), will show you even more examples of dogs/breeds that can have fun in a harness.

poorchickens

Visit site
Erm back to knee replacements!

I'm waiting to have both knees replaced (at the grand age of 34!) I've done so much research and a lot is positive. My surgeon has done a few on horse riders and they have all got back to riding eventually - time depending on any slight complications and commitment to physio. I've had a lot of big knee ops already and have always been back riding within 12 weeks max. Surgeon seems to think this is reasonable for me with the replacement. I'm actually looking forward to having it done and being more mobile / active than I can be now :)