Human nasal spray for dogs

Greylegs

Visit site
Our dog has been very snotty for a while. The vet has prescribed antibiotics and anti inflammatories but his nose gets very congested, especially at night. Someone has suggested using Sinex or Otrivine nasal spray to help him. Has anyone done this? Is this a yes or no? I have Sinex in the house but not tried it on the dog as yet. Any thoughts?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I wouldn't. would steam help? not suggesting he sits over a bowl of hot water with a towel on his head, but maybe a bowl of hot water near his bed/crate so the atmosphere is a little muggier?

Umbongo

Visit site
I wouldn't, especially without knowing exactly what is causing it. There could be a whole number of reasons why he has nasal discharge (virus, fungal infections, allergies, something stuck up his nose like a grass seed, nasal growths etc). How long has he been on medication for? Is he unwell in himself?
If you want to try something then I would for for motherofchickens suggestion of steam near his crate, maybe a bit of added olbas oil. But I would follow your vets advise.

Last edited:

Amicus

Visit site
I wouldn't. would steam help? not suggesting he sits over a bowl of hot water with a towel on his head, but maybe a bowl of hot water near his bed/crate so the atmosphere is a little muggier?

Have heard vets reccomend sticking the dog in bathroom while you have a hot shower as an easy way of steaming them.

Greylegs

Visit site
I wouldn't, especially without knowing exactly what is causing it. There could be a whole number of reasons why he has nasal discharge (virus, fungal infections, allergies, something stuck up his nose like a grass seed, nasal growths etc). How long has he been on medication for? Is he unwell in himself?
If you want to try something then I would for for motherofchickens suggestion of steam near his crate, maybe a bit of added olbas oil. But I would follow your vets advise.

He's been on medication for three days now. Not tried steam but it's not an easy thing to administer. He sleeps in a dog bed and we've put a bit of olbas oil on it (the whole house whiffs of it tbh). That does seem to help. I just feel so helpless when he's clearly struggling to breathe and getting quite distressed. Another trip or a call to the vet needed I think. Thanks for the opinions everyone.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
He's been on medication for three days now. Not tried steam but it's not an easy thing to administer. He sleeps in a dog bed and we've put a bit of olbas oil on it (the whole house whiffs of it tbh). That does seem to help. I just feel so helpless when he's clearly struggling to breathe and getting quite distressed. Another trip or a call to the vet needed I think. Thanks for the opinions everyone.

I'd be careful with the olbas oil-remember they can smell infinitely better than us and also personally, if I use it when snotty I find it quite harsh and it makes me cough.Vicks is a little softer but I'd probably not use either tbh. poor thing, hope the vet can help.