Human pharmacies accepting veterinary prescriptions

stimpy

Visit site
My horse has been put on human medication that is being prescribed by my vet under the veterinary cascade. My vet can only get a paste formulation of the medication from their supplier but I want the tablet formulation as it is much easier to use, and should be a lot cheaper. My vet will write me a prescription but I can't find any vet pharmacies that stock the medication, so I am looking for a human pharmacy that will accept veterinary prescriptions. Does anyone know of any online (human) pharmacies that accept vet prescriptions, or whether any of the high street pharmacies will accept them?

EllenJay

Visit site
they all do - they may have to order in, but will accept the prescription without any issues

skinnydipper

Visit site
It's worth ringing a couple of pharmacies and asking for the cost as prices vary. I found Boots to be the cheapest. It was an expensive drug with a considerable difference in price.

Last edited:

stimpy

Visit site
Wow, I never knew that any pharmacy will accept a vet prescription! I think I am still smarting from trying to buy a pot of magnesium sulphate in a pharmacy many years ago and as I was paying I said it was for my horse for an abscess and the pharmacist whipped it out of my hand and told me they wouldn't sell anything for animal use. They were really unpleasant :oops:

Britestar

Visit site
Any pharmacy will supply as long as prescribed and correct paperwork.

I had a customer last week who went to the pharmacy to buy glucose powder. They asked him what he wanted it for and he said a weak lamb. They refused to sell it - little over the top!!

olop

Visit site
Boots definitely do, my boy had a course of Misoprostol last year for ulcers, the vet wanted to charge me £600 for a months worth, Boots charged me just short of £100 for it! You may have to get it ordered in though if it’s a unique medication!

RHM

Visit site
Wow, I never knew that any pharmacy will accept a vet prescription! I think I am still smarting from trying to buy a pot of magnesium sulphate in a pharmacy many years ago and as I was paying I said it was for my horse for an abscess and the pharmacist whipped it out of my hand and told me they wouldn't sell anything for animal use. They were really unpleasant :oops:
Same happened to me 😂

meleeka

Visit site
They won’t sell you anything for animals UNLESS it’s by written prescription. I bought tablets for my dog regularly with a vet prescription, but for anything over the counter I just say it’s for my mum 😂

Birker2020

Visit site
They won’t sell you anything for animals UNLESS it’s by written prescription. I bought tablets for my dog regularly with a vet prescription, but for anything over the counter I just say it’s for my mum 😂
Trouble is they start wanting more details and asking questions as we've had to do this when we wanted something for the dog.

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
Trouble is they start wanting more details and asking questions as we've had to fo this when we wanted something for the dog.
That’s why I say it’s for my mum, then when they ask I reply I’m not sure, but she’s had it loads of times before and just asked me to pop in as I was there. I always buy Hibiscrub from the chemist but have to ask for it.

Katieg123

Visit site
I have done this several times for medication for my dog. Usually my vet calls ahead to warn them. I would ask your vet if they have a 'relationship' with a pharmacy so that it wont be an issue! My dog is now on record at the pharmacy 🤣

Andrew657

Visit site
If you're looking at purchasing online - might be worth looking at Hyperdrug. They supply both human & vet drugs - and even say they can fulfill vet prescriptions for human meds.

stimpy

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I went with eVet in the end as they had the best price and obviously there is no issue with a vet prescription.