Human physio advice please (pulled a muscle in my bum!)

dollymix

Visit site
Ok, this is not strictly a CR issue, but I thought some of you knowledgable folk might be able to help.

I had a fall at showjumping practise two weeks ago and since then, a muscle in my let bum cheek has been quite sore. It is fine to sit on, and generally walking around - and riding doesn't bother it...but mounting makes it a bit sore. I also feel it sore when lifting water buckets with my right hand.

Today, i was riding my girl, (who is a 17hh, 6 yr old ID - but a big baby) and someone was lunging at the other end of the school. Unfortunately, her horse went dolally dip and managed to get away from her and galloped madly towards us. Now my girl wasn't too worried about the galloping horse, but was completely stressed by the lunge line/snake which was "chasing" him!!! He galloping around us once, and seeing he was about to do so again, I jumped off in case the lunge line got tangled around us. Hence a rather speedy dismount from a bouncy 'big' baby who was close to flipping her lid about the whole situation. Once the other horse was caught, i marched down the school and mounted again and thought 'ouch' as I mounted. Walked around the school a couple of times to reassure baby that all was well with the world (wasn't sore when riding) and then when I dismounted, I thought 'ouch again'

Once my girl was put to bed, I filled water buckets, skipped out etc and could feel a definite 'pull in my left butt cheek! :(

As some other history, in case it's relevant....

I have a history of a broken Coccyx (me and snowboarding don't mix!) which I re-injured in April this year when I fell off at Somerford (I have a nasty habit of landing on my bottom!).

Basically, i am worried I have torn or in some other way, injured a mucscle in my bottom!

Are there any physios out that who could offer advise on what i can do to help it settle? I really don't want to stop riding as we've had a very stop/start year and she is a young horse who quickly goes ten steps backwards if she has extended periods off work.

Any advice would be gratefully received - Thanks :)

wench

Visit site
Try sports massage bod... Really useful. Also search for trigger point massage grid roller. This roller and their other products are fantastic.

rlhnlk

Visit site
It sounds like you've bruised yourself more than pulled something. Echo the sports massage advice. Alternatively have a look at stretches for your piriformis e.g. http://www.livestrong.com/article/36814-piriformis-stretches/ If stretching stop at mild discomfort, don't push on to the point of pain and hold for around 15 seconds at a time. This is what works for me anyway.

Ibuprofen can also help reduce any inflammation from bruising and arnica can help bring bruising out more quickly.

Willeeckers

Visit site
Good ol fashioned ice is always my first advice to my patients :)

Ice pack/frozen peas or ice cubes in a freezer bag wraped in a tea towel placed on the area for two 10min sessions 20mins apart ideally 3times a day.

Bit difficult to give stretches without knowing exactly where and how bad the damage is but either way whilst injury is still painful under gentle use stretching should only be done very gently!

Ditto searching out physio/osteo/masseur if no improvement. Ultrasound is really effective for soft tissue injuries, so if you can find some one who offers that all the better :)

Hope you heal up soon :)

dollymix

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I shall try the ice and look into sports massage.

Just one Q though... If it were just bruised and not a pulled muscle, wouldn't it be more consistent pain? It is most specifically when mounting and dismounting, and when carrying water buckets with the opposite hand to the injury?

hanzy2

New User
Visit site
my osteo advises me to sit on a tennis ball lol. i had a nasty fall and ended up with soft tissue and nerve damage in lower back and right butt cheek. it helps massage the tight muscles