Human shampoo on horses

NicoleX

New User
Visit site
I do know there are purple/blue shampoo’s for horses but would human purple shampoos cause harm/cause the coat to stain?
Just generally wondering.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I use cheap as chips Alberto Balsam tea tree shampoo on mine, lovely smell and fly repellent qualities all for 99p!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I do know there are purple/blue shampoo’s for horses but would human purple shampoos cause harm/cause the coat to stain?
Just generally wondering.
I use henna for human hair to bring out my horses coat. I always do a skin patch test first and leave it 24 hours as she is very allergic to certain things she comes into contact with and I know henna can cause some horrific reactions in humans. Generally just use the £1 bottles of shampoo and conditioner. Horse products will always be more expensive and to my knowledge they don't contain anything that human shampoo doesn't contain, you are just paying for the name and the fact that it is 'equestrian related'.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
This is brilliant, I've never even thought of using human shampoo, instead wincing at the cost of horse shampoo and buying it anyway.

cauda equina

Visit site
The only thing wrong with human shampoo is that it seems to foam more which can be boring when it comes to rinsing

First Flame

Visit site
I've just done a test with human blue shampoos on my grey mare as I love Vetrolin white and brite shampoo but its expensive. I use OSMO super silver shampoo (order online) on my own blonde hair and its £14 for 1000ml, so tried it on my girl and although it wasn't quite as good as the Vetrolin, it was pretty good for the price, just had slightly blue hands after, lol. I also tried the new loreal elvive blue shampoo which worked great on her mane and tail but not so good on her coat.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Until recently I used horse shampoo now I just use human shampoo, last time he had loreal colour protection this time we are on a peach scented one not sure of the brand. I need to remember to get one of those massive bottles of treseme.

Obviously if he reacted to it I'd go back but it's so much cheaper, I'd like to compare the ingredients some time I bet because it has a horse image on is the main difference! I also use the theory it will have gone through more rigorous testing to be deemed safe enough for people!

Merrymoles

Visit site
I use human psoriasis shampoo for my feathered cob's sore legs and then the cheapest possible supermarket shampoo for everything else.

My hairdresser once told me that cheap shampoos were the mildest.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I use the cheap touch of silver shampoo from the pound shop for all over bathing and first wash of legs. Shes an almost blue roan so doesnt need to have her body sparkling white. It does work but its not a patch on Cowboy Magic. I save that for her white legs though as its not cheap!