Humane girths - thoughts?

tankgirl1

Visit site
I know they are generally frowned upon as you are relying on a single strap, but they are the only girth that my mare is comfy in - does anyone else use one?

Andalucian

Visit site
Yep, got one who objects to any other girth! So humane it is, same girth for 10 + years! no issues. Other horses not in them tho.

Micropony

Visit site
I had one for my last horse, an Albion jobby. Saddler recommended it as the most suitable girth when I bought my saddle, and I did as I was told. Never had a problem with it, and after the horse was PTS, I sold it to my friend who is still using it. We both look after our tack, although not obsessively, and it's only about 7 years old, but good as new.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Just be aware that you can tighten them far tighter than on normal girths, which you need to remember.

Also...... I never worked out how it actually happened, but one came undone with me when I was riding. I was only hacking - in trot - at the time, and cannot figure out how it happened :(

Shes currently on 4 and 4, no objection, anatomic girth elastic on one end she was on 4 and 5 and tried to boot me into next week whenever I went to tack up.....

tankgirl1

Visit site
Yep, got one who objects to any other girth! So humane it is, same girth for 10 + years! no issues. Other horses not in them tho.

Thanks, she will not tolerate any other girth, I'd get bitten black and blue and booted into next week if I kept pushing the issue (Mares for you!) I do love how mares just tell you, no messing about!

Shay

Visit site
You need to do what is right for your horse. But it is also fair to be aware of the issues humane girths have - you can over tighten them if you don't know what you are doing. And if the strap breaks - or it comes undone - there is no back up. Also some bodies have banned their use - Pony Club for one - which might catch you out depending on what you do out and about. But any bit of kit we put on our horses has potential drawbacks. If it works for you - use it!

pennyturner

Visit site
It's the only thing that keeps the saddle in place on some of our flat natives (need to girth tightly), and is particularly useful for little children, as it's easier to do up the first buckle.
Most of my ponies are in them. Took me ages to find one to fit the Shetland.

They're kinder to the pony, as the girth is able to move with them more comfortably and especially suitable for saddles where the billets are no longer even, because they're stretched or been repaired.

Merlod

Visit site
I like the idea, but was put off by the apparent pressure cause by the metal D's. I went for a jeffries leather girth with elastic both ends and it's great on my rotund welsh.