hunt ball - what to wear?

digitalangel

Visit site
given the kind of awful week ive had . someone very nice has offered me a ticket to hunt ball - not sure what to wear tho?

any ideas? fyi im in my thirties and around a size 10ish.

Sallyfinn

Visit site
I went to my first hunt ball last year. Thank God I wore a long dress rather than a cocktail dress purely by chance. MUCH more formal than I anticipated. Do not go knee length under any circumstances. Dress up big time and have fun. x

digitalangel

Visit site
oh goodness me! i wasnt expecting *that* - OK going to have to go to the hairdressers and get an updo then? im pretty good at makeup myself, due to years of being onstage, but nails really? OK going to have to raid flatmates closet i think, not sure if i even own a dress, let alone a floor length one!

Patterdale

Visit site
Something long and covered shoulders until after dinner (pashmina/wide straps/bolero) if white tie.
If black tie you can go a bit more casual but still nothing too cocktaily. But some girls recently go like they're off out into town afterwards.....!

General rule of thumb for something formal is that its better to be slightly overdressed rather than underdressed.
And if you can stretch to it go and get your hair done - its fun to go all out now and then, and I think you've earned it :)

digitalangel

Visit site
right now i do look something that has been dragged through a hedge backwards - not been sleeping or looking after myself at all. dont have a cover thing - hoping my flatmate gets home soon so i can raid her wardrobe!

Its down in Somerset, - no idea about the dress code, but i think ive got 2 knee length dresses, high heels, i dont own any jewellry but i guess i can try to borrow some and see if i can get in at the hairdressers before i go! then again not sure if a ' do ' would survive a 3 hour drive...

Its miles from where i live, so getting a b&b and going to treat it as a mini-break away.

DJ

Visit site
Definitely a long dress :) ..... You`ll really enjoy yourself, and you sure deserve after the week you`ve had x

lhotse

Visit site
More not what to wear...that being the toilet bowl!!! We used to go to the Wick and District beaglebash at Westonbirt School every year. Not as formal as some of the bigger hunts but we used to really make an effort to dress up, long dress, hair done and arrive in style (back of a landy!!)
Such a shame the beaglepack has been disbanded now, can't pluck up the courage to go to the Beaufort Ball!!

digitalangel

Visit site
Do you have to have courage to go to a hunt ball? im a bit scared now ;) I grew up in Oz, where there is no such things. Left school early to go work in racing so havent ever had a prom either!

Ok so ill make sure i drink spritzers then so i dont end up wearing the toile bowl - flatmate has pulled out some dresses tho none are floor length. I managed to wrangle friday off work (!) and im hoping my favourite hairdresser will be in. Not sure on an updo though!

I have literally no idea about ' girlie fashion ' hope i dont make this a disaster!

That said, very looking forward to ' getting away from it all ' even if its only for a day.

star26

Visit site
Which hunt is it?

I am in Somerset and the few I attended earlier this year had a wide range of dresses.

One ball was quite smart with the majority of girls in longer dresses.

Another was fairly relaxed, with some girls in long dresses, others in shorter knee-length ones, and one in a very short (inappropriate!) dress! Lol
It was a really fun night, no-one was that fussed about anyone's length of dress, or hair-do, people were just there to drink and have fun.

I managed to paint my own nails, wore my hair down (which felt 'dressy' as I wear it up so much) and did my own make up- which I am fairly competent at!

There will be lots of drunken people to laugh at once things get going, so no need to feel anxious- I'm sure you will have a brill time. :)